1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield V (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowDuke, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    [​IMG]

/game completed

2. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Finally got it. you i die fast in it, dont have time to react once i get first shot and feels like dmg arrives in one go, instant death. So strange, any setting i should look into? Ping is never over 30 and dont have any network icons popping up.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Duck sooner or keep close to corners and cover in the first place. Yes that game's quite fast in TTK, but it makes using cover, controlled advances or retreats etc. even more important.
    But in the beginning, I felt just like you, instantly dead all the time by somebody who 50% of the time was just quicker than me. (Remember, people have weapon upgrades / unlocks making them aim faster, less spread etc.)
    Try playing with friends or squadies who talk to you, reduces the danger of being flanked or running into an ambush of a tank and three squads etc.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Look for cover (and scan the area, go to next cover, etc. depends on mode, too) ;)

You get better once you have some experience in the game. Especially once you know the maps better.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    There's currently a bug that sort of "packages" bullets together into 1 super bullet. A fix is most likely coming somewhere during January.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes it feels exactly like that, all comes in at once! No chance to react, sometimes its okay and feels better. Thanks for advices guys :)

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Dragam1337 and ShadowDuke like this.
  8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    how to fix the god awful blur while taa is used, i need a permanent fix, the graphics look so bad with that taa blur

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Still no cfg file edit possible for that or something like it?
    I too don't get why you can't undo TAA... has to have a specific reason, since putting a 0/1 switch in there probably isn't too much work...

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    i don t even know why this blur when u move all over the screen man, has to be something with design decision of the game

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    fantaskarsef and Dragam1337 like this.
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
  13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This version of the frostbite engine feels pretty finicky from the previous iterations. To me Frostbite has always been about efficiency, in that you can have a great visual experience at low cost but if you start scrutinising the graphics you soon see cracks appear on the surface so to speak. What I found odd is that I can run Battlefront 2 maxed out at my resolution of choice which is 1080p, BF1 was also fine at that resolution. BF5, although it looks pretty slick but not a massive upgrade, started chugging on my rig really hard, so much so that I had it running at more or less the lowest settings at one point to see if I can squeeze decent performance out of this. It got to the stage that I seriously began considering a PC upgrade that I can't afford... that is untill I discovered something.

That something was the FOV setting. When I got the game I just left my FOV at 106 Horizontal which is something that I'm pretty used to even though it distorts the image a fair bit. I'm also one of those unlucky people who suffer from pretty severe motion sickness at anything below 85 or so. As an experiment I stuck my FOV to 95 and its like I'm playing a different game all of a sudden. I'm not a complete muppet, I know a wider FOV = more rendering to be done = worse performance but not until BF5 have I seen such a dramatic performance drop from just running with a higher FOV. This at least happens for me, probably a non-issue to those of you with newer, faster cards and faster CPU's.

Also one thing I keep seeing people complain about and that was in Battlefront 2 as well, which was the forced TAA. Now I'm totally agreeing here, give us more flexible AA options and don't try and stuff some post process AA method down our throats! Give us regular AA options like MSAA x2 and x4 and let the laptop owners stick to FXAA or TAA ( unless you got a super beefy lappy ). We built our rigs, we know better! And should we not want any AA, then do let us disable it entirely! Shouldn't be too hard.

One of the main gripes people seem to have is that TAA softens the image but at 1080p I'm not seeing that at all and I could be wrong but I think its tied to the Post Processing setting. If I set post processing to low my game looks a tad soft, but with medium and above it seems like a sharpening filter is applied that crisps up the image. They had this sharpening feature in Battlefront 2 but it was an actual slider you could adjust to your taste whereas in BF5 it appears to be a set amount which in some scenes is a bit too much if you ask me as it can create a sort of "halo effect" around certain objects or meshes, usually a result of over-sharpening. Things might change when one goes to higher resolutions but feel free to feed back if anyone does any experimenting. My game definitely looks crisp as hell and a polar opposite to what others are reporting around the web.

One last word on DX12 and then I'll go away. Dice has been toying with DX12 for a while now right ? DX12 from what I gather is meant to be more efficient ( btw, feel free to correct me here if I'm going totally off the rails, I haven't been keeping up with the development of new tech as much as I'd like to in the past few years ) and make better use of multicore CPU's and such. Battlefront 2 had DX12 support and almost everyone was in universal agreement that it just hurts your performance for 0 visual gain, lower avg frame rates, random stutters, actual pauses and skips, the lot. Here comes BF5 and its the same crap show, which some were expecting I guess but here's the but... How is it that Blizzard can implement DX12 to a game released in 2004 and their implementation of it has resulted in big performance gains across the board ? Yeah I'm talking about WoW here and their recent DX12 update. DX12 has been an option for a while but they recently updated it and it runs beautifully.

Yeah ok I admit we're talking 2 totally different games here I know but the point still remains. WoW has had DX12 for a while now too, it performed very similar to how it performs in BF5 and Battlefront 2 at the moment in that you had random stutters, lower average fps and so on, yet Blizzard managed to update the engine and the way it utilizes DX12 to a point that the game can now handle large scenes with plenty of activity with much greater efficiency that results in better performance for the end user, yet Dice hasn't managed this ? Clearly I'm no game dev but it just feels a bit odd to me.

Anyways that's my musings done, I still love the game. Been playing the crap out of it and I honestly don't get what people are complaining about as this is the best Battlefield that I've played since Battlefield 2. Must be an age thing, I see all these people whine about the lack of 3D spotting and theres me sat there thinking "bitch please! did you ever play 1942 ???". There's going to be new content, there's going to be bug fixes, there's going to be balance updates, wish people would just calm down a bit and play the game.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    DX12 works fine here. I'm using it to play without Future Frame Rendering (causes small amount of input lag), on DX11 I can't hold a steady 120+ fps with FFR off.

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    dx12 is much better for me too, As above i can have FFR off with dx12. Not a hope in dx11.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You both got newer cards though which is probably the reason, heck you got an RTX2080Ti Party Poison ( jealous! ), the game was basically designed with that card in mind to some degree. Don't think my GTX970 had proper full DX12 support. Could be that maybe I'm using the wrong combo of settings under DX12 and need to experiment a bit more. Maybe use the GPU memory limit seeing as I only got 3.5gb of VRAM to see if it smooths things out.

17. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I just recently upgraded my PC, will have to try DX12 now. Never thought of it. Though the input lag from FFR is not really bad at all. I do feel it, but barely.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I couldn t even tell the difference btw dx11 and 12 rather than possibly having better fps...nothing in the graphics department changes whatsoever...

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

True, I didn't expect it to make so much difference though. I'm so used to avoiding dx12 if I can, Ill do some proper tests tonight.

I've got a pc in the other room that is the same spec, 9700k 16gb dominator plats etc but that has a 1080ti Ill see how that does on dx12.

I don't think you would, As far as I know there is no visual difference at all.

20. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    I just had a play with DX12 and after a little stutter at the start of play it settled down and I was getting pretty steady 75 fps as compared to pretty steady 60 fps with DX11. This is with the new 19.1.1 drivers. Everything on low with just mesh on high. I'll try without FFR and see what happens then :)