1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield - Bad Company 2 #4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Cybermancer, May 30, 2010.

1. Garone

Garone Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Yeah I've just received mixed information when it comes to CPU usage. I discussed it with a friend earlier and he said that his E8500 (not sure if it's OC'd) never hits 100% in any game and if mine did something was wrong.

2. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    This latest discusion on CPU usage interests me alot.

I decided to check mine out (playing a variety of online maps)
    I'm running about 30-35% overall CPU usage. And only 5 of the threads are used at any one time.
    My CPU is clocked at 3.6ghz.
    I have Hyperthreading on, (as well as speedstep and c1e power saving - but the cpu is ramping up to full clock speed okay and staying there whilst game is running)

GPU usage is a nice 92-99% thou.

Is it normal to see such low CPU usage ?
    Running 1080p all settings maxed, x4 AA,x16 AF, Vsync off, HBAO on,render ahead 1;
    FPS = between 120fps inside bulidings, 100-70 outside in the action, but when I get in a Tank and shoot its gun and it hits something close - or when a vehicle gets blown up nearby it can drop to 45fps.
    Is that much of a drop normal for those scenerios ?

(note: I did test with Hyperthreading off, but fps was a little less and the same fps dips occurred in scenerios i've mentioned)

Is there anyway to force the game use more CPU (eg any tweaks)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yes, what it means is you're CPU is not bottlenecking, it is merely your GPU is pushed to it's fullest extent.

Rendering inside a building is easy...it's much smaller, and easier to make bland objects for. Open expanses are an entire world...so yeah.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Awsome! I changed the render ahead option in my documents bc2 folder settings.ini from renderahead=2 to zero and my fps is constant 60 -80 :D. Canr beilve i forgot that tweak. Even on max its stable to 60. Sweet. But still poor hit registration. Annoying dice did the moh too and it has better hit registration then bc2.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Eh? This got the MoH Hit registry update already, so it's at least on par...the reason you think it's worse is because unlike MoH, we have wind factor, bullet drop, and recoil.

6. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    The TOZ-194 is in the single player.

7. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    @Mr.Bigtime: I'm currently testing out the 261 Nvidia drivers, which in the official release is supposed to improve performance for "older CPUs". I've been running around and it does feel a lot smoother. Panama Canal map wouldn't drop to 50FPS and smoke grenades have little effect on the smoothness of the framerate. I even upped the models and textures, and tried out DX10 with some AA.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-261.00-Win-7-|-Vista-64-bit-download-2637.html

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hmm souns logical but stii doent explain the jumpy pings.

@ink; thanx for heads up man will check it for sure.

9. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    for the first time i saw some multiplayer gameplay footage, this looks AWESOME!

now im not sure where to buy it from, locally (israel) its just a bit less ($5) then steam... but is this game region locked or not? because im moving away from this country to NY US very soon, so im unsure where to buy it from, advice would be great! :)

crap, just relizized i posted in the BFBC2 thread... -_-

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Buy the steam i say. U dont need to carry a dvd box around u.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    What is this supossed to mean? So what his CPU is 4 years old? It is still running over 3GHz dual core.

*Edit* I just did a search and his dual core was released in 2008 as well as my E8400. That is 2 years old not 4 years mate!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

I game in 1680x1050 maxed out high everything high shadows, no AA, 4X AF and I fraps at around 50 to 55 FPS with lows in the 30's. AA kills performance and does jack for quality so why even use such a setting? You have a quad core and a GTX class card while I am on a dual core with a GTS class card and I am getting similar frames as you? Makes no sense dude...

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You follow the explosions to direct your shots. That is what they do in real life anyways. I always thought the tracers on the tanks were silly anyways. Now it is actually more realistic to not have a big glowing round come out of your cannon....

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Uhm the hit registration is the exact same one from moh... hence the last patch where they made this very change, soooo ;o

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hmm, im not pleased with ur answer :p

15. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX570 oc'd
    thats what they mention in update list, moh hit reg brought over to bc2, but after playing both for quite some time i can say its still different, bc2's hit reg stays the same like it was. hit reg in moh is far more better.

16. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    You should still get them with MG's though shouldn't you?

17. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Keep some tracers, get rid of most of the others is what I say.

I like the way it is now with small arms fire, no silly tracers or big white lines coming out the front of my rifles obscuring my view.

But the tank fire is just stupid now. I have no reference to attempt a follow up shot at the chopper, and now I'm supposed to wait for a puff of dust to gauge my hit? I need to spot a puff of dust in the dust storm? Do you see where I'm going here?

18. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    yeah man cheers,

I was more concerned if others get such massive fps dips when in a tank, or looking through rifle scope and looking at big explosions going off eg down to 40fps in extreme cases.

I found a thread on the EA forums where most i7 users with HT on see only abouy 30% CPU usage - so I guess i'm 'normal'

19. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    +1
    Exactly.

20. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I'd like to have proper aiming computer for the tanks anyway.