battlefield 4 shimmering on fences fix??

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Apr 23, 2016.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    even when using 2x msaa i still see shimmering on the fences in the maps, zavod and operation locker, the whole scene became smooth with 2x msaa but still shimmering on the fences... any fix?

2. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry but there is no fix other than increasing settings like resolution scaling.
    MSAA doesn't work for things like fences or trees. I have resolution scaling at 130% + 4xMSAA + post AA. Gets rid of the shimmering, but also requires very beefy hardware of course.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    Why does it require so much implementation of AA to get rid? I thought frostbite was the best engine out there and msaa should have got ridden of this

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    MSAA wont work on alpha textures like fences, tress and grass etc. you have to use techniques like TXAA, FXAA, TAA, SMAA and goes on.

Btw, I wont recommended MSAA anymore, its too costly and gives nothing in favor.

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Frostbite 3 had custom msaa made by DICE it hardly affects anything mainly just gun models to save performance, like stated above the in built super sampling is your best bet and just turn FXAA off.

Thankfully new forstbite has a custom TAA method of aa built in which is much better looking than crappy fxaa

TAA+SS= yummy.

6. To get rid of the shimmering, you have to use a post processing type of AA such as SMAA, FXAA, etc. SweetFX can probably be used for singleplayer, but in multiplayer it can be flagged by PunkBuster and result in a temporary ban. You can use the built-in driver-forced FXAA in the NVCP 3D Settings (might be greyed, then you can use nvidia profile inspector to release FXAA lock) for bf4 for singleplayer and multiplayer. I know some will say that FXAA looks like petroleum jelly on the screen, but the driver-forced FXAA actually looks good (at least subjectively) when compared to other in-game FXAA. You can even use driver-forced FXAA in combination with the custom in-game MSAA since FXAA is light (performance-wise) on the hardware.

7. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If you had a 9xx series card, you could turn on MFAA which does a bit of trans. AA. Refer to this video:

http://youtu.be/fbyM5yYi-3c

Other than that, post-AA is the only option really.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Have you tried disabling motion blur?...