1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 3 (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TriGGlety, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Your experience from BF 2 means nothing in BF 3. Even the tips during map load say that "every gun has bullet drop". So please, try shooting "normal" guns with scopes on large maps and see where you hit.

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Bullet drop is clearly noticable on AS VAL, and Carbines, leading the target on range helps alot.

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Battlefield 3 online players:

PC online
    152 489

MW3:

PC gamers...you have spoken.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    where can you see that ? xfire doesnt seem to support mw3 yet lol

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

It is a Steampowered game.

For BF3, I used BF3Stats.com

So I got a hold of MW3 like I usually get a game, and wow. It is bad. I stood in place for about 3 minutes, getting shot at, and did not die. Then I proceeded to shoot all my targets, without moving from my spot. Once, I eventually got knocked down, but then a little red line appeared and if I hit buttons fast enough, I got right back up.

It took about 6 Shotgun blasts to my direct back to kill me. How can they find that fun? I do not get it. In BF3, you HAVE to use cover...

!!!! got to laugh at that

Then they added later mouse support and labeled it a FEATURE.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ah right, pretty nice stats. wonder what stats the consoles give

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Consoles...will obviously not be nearly as nice. Console stats for BF3 are like 220,000 at peak though, for Xbox, 180,000 for PS3. I'm sure due to MW3's release, the console numbers have halved. They seem to like not having to put any effort into winning. :p

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Noticed that yesterday, and think 70-80k is all it peaked at yesterday so probably not likely to go any higher as EU and US people get in from work/school etc...

I was thinking of acquiring MW3 the way you do too, curious if the SP is any better than BF3, as not willing to waste anymore money on dumb shooters.

Console stats are usually down at this time of day, it's later on they peak.

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Redemption, save your money. Performance is...not good. My rig, isn't the best, I know that, it's old.

However, I get round 37-40FPS...maxed or on the lowest setting. Maybe it's a crack issue or something, but yeah, performance is bad.

Guns looks nice, sound kinda meh. 60$ for this is a joke

If this was 20$, I might actually get it, cause it'd kind be something I could play once every few weeks for ****s and giggles.

At 60$ though, it feels like they're selling you McDonalds as some kind of high quality food, though you know it's just McDonalds.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I said acquire lol, but i did see it for £19 if i use a Russian VPN.
    There is an issue with the crack apparently, seems to be halving performance based on two friends with nearly identical systems, but one has bought the game.

$60 isn't that bad considering that the price is apparently 60Euro too, thankfully its only £40 here, but that is still too much considering i barely play BF3 in MP, and BF is more my type of MP, while MW3 is the opposite.

SP does look alot more "interesting" though.

11. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    Origin account setup - HELP

No matter what I type in I can't get an Origin account to be created.

The procedure just states that something is wrong with the text I typed in.
    BUT nothing is wrong that I can see.

Name, password and email are kosher.

name: only characters
    pass: 8 - 16 characters
    email: valid format

What gives??

Sometimes the help received here can be overwhelming.

Well, it only took three hours to install. I charge $30 per hour for computer related work, so EA owes me $90.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Well BF3 main platform is consoles, not PC. The decision of the platform change happened quite early in the process, which is why the game has that 'consolified' feel, and the graphics aren't as impressive as was originally promised.

Sadly, it appears the sales on Xbox 360 has been greater than PS3 and PC combined. What this means for Battlefield 4 is that it will be most likely a full console port and the same old crap we've been putting up with for years. Its really unfortunate that consoles have held back PC gaming so much, but this is more to do with developers being lazy than anything else. They start low then develop up, instead of starting high and reducing the graphics and textures as required on soles.

If they started with proper true Hi-res PC textures, then when the PS4 (etc) is out and Battlefield 4 is released, it would be pretty easy to convert the maps over, either using existing BF4 textures or the hi-res textures from BF3 as required. I think even Microsoft has partly given up bothering about Directx, since game developers seem not to care for it, afterall Directx was promised with a bi-monthly update cycle, which worked for a couple of years until June last year (the later update was only a setup fix). Why tune and add features to the monthly Directx's when game developers are still back using vanilla Direct 9? (or if they are using Directx 10 or 11, not really making use of the features).

A 'funny' consequence of all of this is console users are just as disadvantaged as PC users. Why would Microsoft and Sony want to bring out a new console when they can milk the existing platform and make craploads of money? A new console will only be released once they can take market share away from the competition, which in turn will mean the competition (Microsoft) will also bring out a new console.

This is good, in the short term for PC users, however the graphics and gameplay will still be behind since the consoles won't have multi-teraflop performance. Worst still, it will be years before the next gen consoles are released.

At the rate consoles are going in terms of performance and longevity, by the time the next gen console models reach their end of life, mobile phones will have as much processing power.

One of the complains console users have about PC's is you can't play on TV's, which is of course completely untrue. The lag is more noticeable on PC's because its tweaked that way (be more responsive). Besides, the accuracy and control of gameplay elements with controllers is rather rudimentary, and with the simple physics of the controllers will never reach the PC level of gameplay control of 'feel'.

Futuristic style controllers where you say, mimic the actions of using a weapon, can have their place just as well on PC's as on consoles, the downside is those types of controllers aren't really universal enough. The traditional keyboard+mouse combination I feel is still the most versatile, and at least you aren't accidentally going to throw the controller through the screen (like people do with the Wii).

So, granted, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm just disappointed that a game touted to be a graphical masterpiece on PC, since it was meant to be its lead platforms, turns out to be no better than any other recent game and has fallen prey to consolitis. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed the game doesn't have the same feel as previous games.

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Really?

It looks far better than Metro 2033, Crysis 2, or any game in recent memory.

The console version uses Frostbite 1.5, while we have 2.0.

We have double the players, much better graphics, 60FPS. Dedicated servers(real ones.)

Console:

[​IMG]

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, easily the best out the box game i've ever saw, part of me prefers a modded Crysis 2, but that isn't out the box.

Would be be easy to blame the multi-platform nature, but that is only relevant if there are lots of PC exclusive titles with better graphics, and well...there isn't.
    Witcher 2 and Hard Reset both look great, but not as good as this, beauty is the eye of the beholder though.

Gameplay wise this may of suffered compared to BF2, but visually this game is in a league of its own, and Frostbite 2.0 is the best engine around right now, especially with performance.

Mkilbride, take that pic down, it's possible to make a point, and not take liberties with the facts lol.

15. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

What are you talking about? It says "WITHOUT HD TEXTURES" on the image - there is nothing misleading there.

100% disagreed. They stuck with PC as lead platform for quite some time - they had to switch because they were behind on console development, and were in a rush to meet EA's big release date. Reading the Twitter feeds of the developers was very insightful into this whole thing.

And while some BF2 things are missed, I think BF3 is a PHENOMENAL PC game. Downright amazing. Best graphics (so far), best sound (so far), and the best multiplayer I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

- PR-0927

16. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    On the Xbawks with the HD texture pack, you get like 25FPS. Cmon people, that's not playable. 30FPS is barely tolerable, any lower...lol

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Because it's the XBox one without the optional texture pack installed, it's not how the 360 one looks at all, and certainly not the PS3, it also doesn't run on Frostbite 1.5.

Dips to 25fps like most console games, without the HD texture pack you could probably get 60fps on the consoles since it looks like a PS2 game without them.

The console versions look bad enough as they are, worse than BFBC2 according to my brother in law who got the PS3 versions, so don't feel you don't need to hand pick facts to make them look bad.

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    SP is also going to be like 5 hours.

Can you justify spending 40E or whatever for 5 hours of so-so entertainment? I mean since you don't play the SP.

It's still weird you bought BF3 for the SP, even after the developers said it was one long tutorial.

Dude, that is a picture from their own thingy so lol. That is how it looks. The game runs 1280 x 704 on consoles, @ 30FPS, 25FPS with the HD texture pack on the 360.

PS3 runs same resolution, 30FPS as well, but can maintain 30FPS. Yes, on the PS3, the HD textures are default.

However, they get 30FPS...less than half the players...much worse graphics...auto-aim, and terrible controls.

Huh? Didn't you just post bout MW3 Redemption? The first part of my post was in response to that, but it seems gone now.

PC
    [​IMG]

X360:

[​IMG]

19. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Yeah, but the fact that massive text is stamped over the image saying that the texture pack isn't installed justifies the use of that image. If Mkilbride posted an image without that text, and said "hey look how bad console BF3 looks," I'd agree with you. But he didn't.

- PR-0927

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Would be £19 ($30) but im thinking of halving it with a friend, and just using it from his account, will be safter than messing about with Russian key's on my own Steam account, and he doesn't care anyway, him and three other people all share the same Steam account anyway, and just make sure they don't go on at the same time.

Once i finish the SP, the MP is all his, and i can live with £9.50 even for a short game.

I bought BF3 to support the engine and the fact they were showing off the PC version to a load of console gamers, if i pirated or boycottted it because i don't play MP, then i could hardly complain about future games being straight 1:1 ports could i?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.