Battlefield 3 Forces Users to use Origin

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by RavenMaster, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    yup i hate steam but have to have it now :(

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Image you need Origin to run a game. So Origin loads up game, not system or steam. I'll have to add origin on steam game list and upon launching origin, it could pop-up in steam that I am using origin, that will hopefully give me access to steam overlay when I play battlefield 3. So it gonna add 1 more layer, and I doubt it gonna work.

Battlefield is NOT standalone.

it gonna cause inoverlation in other words. It's like running steam within a steam. (since origin is a platform like steam and games launched from it)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    :grin: dude you have no idea what you are on about. I really dislike Origin as well and likely won't be getting BF3 for this reason, but really you should understand how this stuff works. When you use steam or origin to launch a game it doesn't just launch steam or origin. They run in the background but it also launches the game executable, which is what you would add to Steam for a non-Steam game.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Your brain can't handle it or your hate just overwhelming you. Let it go.

but hey at least you laughed :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    actually, he's right, in the alpha i added BF3 to non-steam games, and yes, BF3 was launched through origin, but when origin starts the game, it started battlefield3.exe(or whatever it was) which was tied to steam, which is when steam started showing i was playing battlefield 3

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So steam automatically recognized that you playing bf3 without launching it from steam?

I couldn't accomplish that.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    How silly is it to not buy one of the most anticipated games in the last 5 years because you don't want to run Origin? That is so childish I don't even know where to start! Why don't you just grow up and stop acting like a kid on his PS2!

Origin and Steam is the new PC gaming. You either embrace it and accept it or stop playing games on your PC and switch to 15 year old console gaming. It is pretty much that simple. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that PC gaming is going all digital and this means steam and Origin.

8. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Judging from your immaturity it is hard to believe that you are as old as you've said you are. However I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same thing if you had been through the things I have with steam.

And furthermore, I know, it must be terribly childish to actually stand up for what you believe. How childish of me.

Thank you for proving my point.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ahm... np?

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I have been using Steam pretty much a year after it came out. I have not had a single issue with Steam ever. I have never had any of this offline crap either. Seems to me most of you so called "PC gamers" are a bunch of kids that cause 99% of your own problems. You all need to just relax and enjoy PC gaming and stop trying to make everything so difficult all the time. By you not buying a top end game from EA is going to change nothing. All it will do you force you to change with them. If you don't like that, like I said once before stop playing PC games and go buy a PS3 and STFU....

11. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    If you want to be a sheep go right ahead, I won't ever be supporting invasive DRM.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just because you don’t get any issues doesn’t mean they don’t exist, I’m one of the lucky ones who never has driver issues, but I would never say they don’t exist.

Personally though, not had an issue with Steam so far, but it did show me right up a few days back.

Put together a system for my friend based on my old GTX460/QX9650 one, recommended Steam based on ease of use for someone not used to PC gaming, and he bought some games, even let him use my bandwidth as he isn’t online, and doesn’t really want to be online, so assured him that the Steam Offline mode was ok for those games.

Turns out it isn’t, and from what I’ve read, the fact that we forgot to run one game after we downloaded it, is stopping him getting into any of the other perfectly working games.
    Now Steam just won’t go into offline mode unless you go online first, very backwards.

There is always going to issues with these types of services, and they won’t please everyone, but they definitely are the future whether people like it or not.
    Especially when big developers like ID are talking about always online single player gaming being something people will have to get used to.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    no, i added the exe to steam, and "started" it from steam, had origin already running, and it started the game

It's exactly the same if you were to double click the games exe

So what you're telling me is... PC gamers are going to be given the choice to abandon ship on PC to console because they don't like origin, and origin is then essentially another tool to kill PC gaming, eh?

Another reason we should all not like origin i guess

You said it, not me :p

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I see now, thanks. At least, hopefully it will still this way on release.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Skidrow will fix that. give them a couple days after this game gets released.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    a message to EA Games

[​IMG]

17. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Awesome video !!

18. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I am in the right thread and yes, stop using it if you are going to complain about it.

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    exactly my point. if orgin bothers anyone that much, then dont buy the games that require orgin to play. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion

b!tching about it is not going to change a damn thing. suck it up or GTFO

20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I applaud this actually. It literally stopped piracy dead in its tracks! People want to steal a game online. Good luck playing it online multiplayer. The chances are you will be frustrated to the point where it is not worth stealing it and go buy it. And this is the way it should have been all along!

You won't support it and that is fine. Have fun not playing BF3 while we all are then....