Battlefield 2 & you! [56k be warned...]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Skaarix, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirePhoenixCtk

FirePhoenixCtk Active Member

GPU:
    X1900xt 512mb
    lol i think that graphics are just as important as gameplay nowadays, with the technology thats avaliable today why shouldnt graphics be nice? and yeah i agree that they didnt look as nice as the ea screenies but once i played more they eventually became good. plus im a bf fan boy, il say this game is good no matter what

2. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    phazel
    Master Guru,My server can be up weekdays 6:00pm gmt,
    64plyer
    tickets@1000
    no time limit
    I've had some classic battles with others who have joined,we should get all guru's together for a mass war.
    Lock and load marine,give us a shout if any of you want a server up.
    Will post ip when server is next up.
    3mbps connection.

Tommorow after 6:00pm gmtime i can have the server ready,also it's good to test with the demo[tweak it here and there]:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  3. AnakinSolo2002

AnakinSolo2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    ok, here is my solution to the "it looks sooo crappy" whining:

1) I don't care what graphics card you have, the smaller the resolution you use the CRAPPIER it's gonna look, the textures will be so small it will start looking like gta3 with 16bit textures on 800x600.

solution1: stop trying to play games at 1024x768 and put huge ammounts of AA and AF to make it pretier... atleast do 1280x1024, it will look waaaay better and AA/AF ofcourse on older cards will need to be lower.. but think about this for a sec... hmm MORE pixels = smaller pixels (same monitor, well depending on the egornormic res, anyway), which decreases the size of 'jaggies' DOH.... who woulda think... plus textures will be closer and closer to the way the should look.

ex: yeah if you have a game set to 800x600 and the textures are 256x256 ones, of course it will look like yer playing in MS Paint... So... the larger the display resolution(pixels x pixels) the smaller/less grainy even the textures will look, yay!

big prob: so yeah yer crap monitor can only hit 1024x768, well enourmous problem, why do you still have this monitor? umm a friken 7 year old tv can display that. go buy a neeeeew monitor!!!! or old/awesome.

solutiony thing: so LCD or CRT? well depends on cash, space(space saving is for woosies who can't pick up heavy stuff). My opinion is to get a big ol CRT (better res's and less numbers to wory about, and they have a super lasting history), but if you need an LCD, and you can only bench 30lbs get a tinker toy... lol jk. :p so anyway. MOST IMPORTANT: IF you get an LCD (or a CRT for that matter), make ABSOLUTELLY SURE it can AT LEAST have a native res of 1600x1200 with a vert. ref. rate of 72+, otherwise you are just wasting your money, and the lower res's will look crappy. When the highest res on your monitor: 1. has a crapy refresh rate and 2. can't do anywhere near 1600x1200; yes you will be able to play at 1280x1024, but it won't have any sort of real game briliants(visually) potential.

Resolution is waaay more important than AA, don't go down a res to aply AA, it's pointless really, AA and AF are really for those who play games and can do huge res's and get 100s in FPS. Now ofcourse if you comp can't handel the higher res at all, well to get it to look good some upgrading is probably usefull.

I mean come on guys, do you really believe a NEW awesome engine is gonna look good at 1024x758? do what?

I went back once I got my new card a while ago and monitor and installed gta3 and see how high in res's I could go... and it looked like a completelly new game, just gorgeous.

also, newer, well ALL (descent) graphics cards are MADE to run at higher resolutions, yeah they actually will run more fluid at higher resolutions, ofcourse you need a matched monitor.

Personally, my monitor is rediculous in hugeness, res's, and refreshrates. Before I had a carp 17" moitor that could only hit 1280x1024, with my 6800GT at that time even... I get this new monitor and It will do 2048x1280x85... limmited only by my graphics card... (no I didn't misstype the resolution, it's real). To prove my higher res+nicer monitor = better FPS, (no real evidence cause you would have to pay me to plug my old monitor in and do a test), with old mon. I could get say max 40fps in kKotOR1 and 2 with 1280x1024x75 with 8AA and 8AF ran ok... with ne monitor can play it at 1600x1200x85 (game limited, poo) with 4AA and 16AF 40 up to 100+ never ever has gone below 35, even on dantoine with EVERY effect goin, I don't even have a decent sound card. I can play GTA:SA.... this makes me sick.... at 2048x1280 with EVRYthing at maxmaxmax and it's super fluid, not a single slowdown.

basically: The quality of your Monitor is almost more important that wether you have a GF4600/5600/6series of ATI 9600 and up...

4. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    no, there is a set texture resolution for games. it's the way they rendered it. bumping up the res doesn't increase the texture resolution. it only increases the produced image resolution. it doesn't make a 60x60 res texture into a 100x100 texture.

5. AnakinSolo2002

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    I didn't say anything like that, but the main meaning is that textures will look much more clear at higher resolutions in a game because pixel number contrast.

Take a 256x256 texture and open it in PaintShopPro, or PhotoShop and zoom it in, it's gonna look grainier obviously. But if zoomed out it looks much better(or normal size). Say that you did that with your desktop res at 1280x1024, if you change it to a lower one, and repeat the zoom in/zoom out, 1) the texture will apear larger on the screen and the smaller the contrast from texture to res the crapier things tend to look.

In other words, The larger the contrast between game res and texture res the sharper and smoother everything looks. Now I'm not saying to go and use lower texture reses and up the game res.

About a "set texture res," to a certain point you are correct but nowadays thats not really true. Any Texture(quality) type setting is an actual texture resolution(size) difference. Games like KotOR, DOOM3, HL2, even GTA3, you name it, really all more recent games, they all have a 'texture quality' setting, they may not all display the sizes in numbers, but that is what it does, they have different res textures save'd and all, and color size as well 16 or 32 bit.

Now with B2, well it's a tad different, it seems to do weird things to the textures it's self, as if it has high quality textures like 512x512 and depending on the 'display' settings you chose it resizes them or compresses them or whatnot.

No, changing the game resolution will not change the texture resolutions, BUT the textures will apear smaller onscreen sue to the pixel difference.

I dono how else to explain this, lol.

6. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    no, your analogy is incorrect. a low res like 800x600 is not the same as zooming into textures. true, a higher res is sharper due to the increased pixels forming the image and makes jaggies less apparent but your overblowing it. it doesn't effect iq as much as your saying. different resolutions only effect the produced image. basically more space to work with.

7. AnakinSolo2002

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    well, if you want to get into the technicality of the eye; what I'm trying to say is that really games are only going to "appear" to look better on any type of higher setting, the higher you go; You aren't going to be able to MAKE anything actually look better without newer technology, going back to what I was saying, any higher settings, all they really can do, is make the game appear to look nicer. I'm just gonna give up, I don't care... It looks great on my computer, I dono, maybe you guys just need to upgrade your eyes...

8. dukeman

dukeman Guest

i have been playing the demo for several days and so far i am not impressed. the graphics are ok, not great just ok. the game play sucks. there is huge lag in the game. it reminds me of bfnam, they were saying it was better then bf42 but it just sucked.

they should of released the full game as a beta. i think after the customery 5 patchs it might be a good game. i will be playing bf42 for awhile until they get this game straighted out.

plus the helos really suck. i like the stinger platforms but they need to be stronger. you have to hit a helo or plane multiple times just to down it.

i give it a 5 out of 10.

9. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    and btw, lol, no, a tv can't display 1024x768.

sorry, had to post that. :p

10. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Depends on TV :p

11. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    hdtv yes, but an hdtv is basically a computer monitor. a normal ntsc tv or PAL tv, NO.

12. disfigured_LmKi

disfigured_LmKi Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT on 26" Sammy
    I agree,

With all the technical jargon aside ( I do use an awesome monitor and don't know why people don't), even with veiwing the best screen shots there's something about the terrain, colors and shape and size of the models that look cartoonish, almost comic book in nature.

It's not that the graphics are bad, to me their just an inaccruate rendering. BF '42 is dirty and dusty. This Oman map looks like a club med.

To me the greater dissapointment is how the whole thing is put together. It's a souped up DC, which I thought was a mismatch in ballistics and enviroment too. Standard BF series game play, accept with modern weapons, on too small of a map. If you want to see a more detailed explination of my thoughts I posted in the other thread.

Other thread post

Maybe a better computer with the better graphics would be more immersive, but I know how to get things running smooth, sacrificing detail and resolution, to get a good feel for a game. And it feels like a cross between DC and BFV, both of which become old fast. There's just no element of stealth or adventure. Granted there's lots of head to head action, because of the close proximity of spawns, but that get's old fast....or does from me anyway.

I'll keep an eye out for the full version, and more reviews, but till then it's back to Vanilla BF (CTF) from me.

13. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    i belive the major difference in this betweehn the other bf games is the shadows

14. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    its strange my tv can display 1024x768 perfectly fine, 32inch, 100hz:)

and yes it looks wicked.

While i do agree with u anakin, the game is fantastic:)

But at the momment, i'm on a small monitor grr, i had to sell my apple studio pro monitor. due to a move:)(i/.e i needed the cash.)

Plus with my graphic card, would be pointless pushing it at 1600x1200 etc.

10fps ouch.

At the momment, i play 1024x768 x2 aa, x8af and i get in the region of 40-80fps. which by the way does me fine.

This game seriously rocks.

I have vietnam, and no way are the graphics this good.

And last thing i will add, this does not lag like bfvietnam, if your getting alot of lag, could be due to textures loading in if u have it on high, just look at the dam hd light, if its light alot, your running from your h/d. acting as ram, and of course its crap.

I play in 64player games, with a 512k adsl conn and i get 50-70ping.

15. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    THEN IT'S AN HDTV!

16. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    You have been playing a game that you think sucks for several says? sigh... :p

The only way this game can truely be appriciated is on a good server , and using clan mates from other online games to play it with , the whole of the CS:S/COD clan im in atm (well 40/50 memebers) are playing the demo non stop. Theres nothing like creating your own squads and turning them into an airbourne division using the blackhawk's.

I think I may just move to this game , seems to be a lot less stupidity on the demo of BF2 then on the CSS servers.

17. DoomOlek

DoomOlek Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    My Plasma can do 1280x1024@60Hz :)

18. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    My normal tv does 1024x768,c'mon thats what the standard res is[top]for standard pal 32inch[toshiba]depending if you have a decent gpu.

19. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    yes, IT'S AN HDTV!!!

20. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    WRONG. standard PAL res is 720x576. standard NTSC res is 720x480.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.