battlefield 2 not liking overclocked cpu?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Gabe, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 8800GT OCable 715/2ghz
    I think my main issue in bf2 freezing was becuase my pc wasent really stable, I think bf2 takes stress testing to a whole new level, it would probally take 1 hour of playing bf2 to stress the pc to what prime95 would take 6 hours to stress. if you catch my drift

2. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    yea i just got mine running today at 2.6 and this is my first attempt at a real oc.. i ve played about 2 1/2 hours of bf2 got off for a bit 30 min or so played anothe 1 1/2 with no problems.. i think when i get home im gonna try to go farther :)

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I'd never get my winnie that high, obviously your higher multi on the 3500+ helps.

It craps out over 267htt (9*267=2.4ghz), I currently have 1.5v going to it, but its 29c idle, and 39c load. Thats after doing 23 iterations of the 16m superpi test!!! (with stock cooler I might add) according to Everest. Pretty good temps though eh?

It might suggest a little overhead for a higher OC with a little more voltage, but I'll wait for the mo.

Gabe, I think you hit the nail on the head though, BF2 REALLY stresses a system

4. qquizz

qquizz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT AGP 565/1030
    Hey has anyone figured this out. I have an Athlon XP 2600+ Mobile CPU that will OC to ~2.6GHz. It is stable under Prime95, 3DMark, Processor Stability Test, and Windows. At 2.5GHz or above BF2 crashes to the desktop after a minute or so. I have tried everything I can think of, but no go. Including mem timings, AGP aperture, side band, voltage to cpu, mem, and vid card.

What is so ironic i upgraded to this cpu so I could get better performance, but I can't use it in BF2. I wish there was some sort of "crash report" for BF2 to see what happens, that would give me a clue. I even checked Event Viewer but it didn't show anything. Very Odd.

Here is the system at the highest speed I can get it to work okay. I have an Antec True 430W PSU.

< Processor >
    Model: AMD Athlon(tm)
    Speed: 2.47GHz
    Model Number: 3430 (estimated)
    Performance Rating: PR3577 (estimated)
    Cores per Processor: 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core: 1 Unit(s)
    Internal Data Cache: 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64
    byte line size
    L2 On-board Cache: 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set,
    64 byte line size

< Mainboard >
    Bus(es): ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support: No
    MP APIC: No
    System BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    Mainboard: nVidia-nForce
    Total Memory: 1GB DDR-SDRAM OCZ 2-2-3-5

< Chipset 1 >
    Model: Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed: 2x 197MHz (394MHz data rate)
    Total Memory: 1GB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed: 2x 197MHz (394MHz data rate)

< Video System >
    Monitor/Panel: NEC MultiSync FE990
    Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

< Physical Storage Devices >
    Removable Drive: Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk: WDC WD1200AB-32DYA0
    Hard Disk: WDC WD800JB-00ETA0
    CD-ROM/DVD: ASUS DVD-E616P (CD 48X Rd) (DVD 6X Rd)

5. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    a new patch came out a day or two again for bf2, so I think I might try overclocking my cpu again

6. qquizz

qquizz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT AGP 565/1030
    Nvidia has some beta drivers out. Seem to help me out some. Now I 'm starting to wonder if it's a driver issue. If I figure out anything I'll let you know. I already got the EA patch, and it didn't help me. Drivers are at the nvidia website too somewhere but here is MajorGeeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3294.html

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  7. qquizz

qquizz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT AGP 565/1030
    I've been working on this issue still. I think I MAY have solved mine. This is what I did since installing beta drivers (which didn't fix btw). I borrowed another 512MB stick to get me to 1.5GB RAM. Set my page file to a fixed size (1.5GB), and set my mem timings very loose 3.3.3.8.

I overclocked to a speed that I know the crash would happen. I just played four straight games without a hitch. So one of those things I did fixed it. Most likely more RAM. BF2 has to page out to the hard drive if you don't have more than about 1.25GB RAM.

8. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    really? thats exactly what we've ALL been saying the whole time.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    LOL!!

Yep, thats pretty much it. Its the most system sressing game I have ever encountered

10. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    I have 2 gigs of ram, and I just got the new beta drivers taht you said yesterday, I probally will try and overclock it again just for the hell of it but I doubt I will get any farther

11. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    I am having similar issues running the game at max everything @ 1280*1024. I am not sure whether it is the ram i bought a while ago (2 gigs of it) that was unstable on my old Pc but i thought i had stablized it on this computer with it running at cas 2.5 but my PC hung after 30 mins. I am going to put everything at auto which i think basically puts it at cas 3.0 so will try play BF2 for an extended period of time. My GPU could be overheating so i am going to put a new fan on it next week so i can rule out that possibilty. If i still crashes then it must be faulty ram even though i ran Prime test for 8 hours straight and i get no errors with memtest although i have never been able to run this PC with cas 2.0 even though this ram is designed to run at 2.0, read it was an AMD thing.

12. Gabe

Gabe Master Guru

GPU:
    I couldent get any higher with the new patch or drivers, Iam just waiting for the 7800 gt to drop in price then I'll be upgrading to a dfi ultra-d mobo and 7800 gt