Battlefield 1 stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Virs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    You're hurting my CPU's feelings.

@Virs

There is no such file.

Just create a new notepad file, add the instructions you want and save it as "user.cfg"

Then, just put it where the BF1.exe is located.

2. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Damn I just snagged this game on the Amazon sale for 40. I hope it will run alright on my setup. BF games usually become mega optimized within the year they release, but the beginning can be rough.

3. moaka

moaka Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti MSI GX
    I don't know why i tested win 7 ( stutter present ) , windows 10 ( stutter always here ) , now i'm on windows 8.1 ( stutter is gone ) , tested with " perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 " without vsync and same driver 16.11.3 . I'll record soon and repost here for more " proof " .

edited :

Vram usage on windows 10 : ~2250

Vram usage on windows 7 : ~2250

Vram usage on windows 8.1 : ~2850

and cpu usage a bit higher on windows 8.1 (7-10%) but really expercience on BF1 is really better atm ( on my cfg )

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. zixss

zixss Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX480 8GB
    That is really strange.If this might improve my game performance, i will definitely switch back to windows 8.1. If someone has a dual OS system, i`ll be happy to hear for any feedback.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is basically WDDM 1.1, vs WDDM 1.3, vs WDDM 2.0.

6. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    I didn't find that I had too many stutters in DX11 before, but I increased my ram a little and followed the steps here and stutters remain incredibly rare for me. So either it helped a bit or I was already fine.

One thing that does bother me is that DX12 has been an insta-crash for me lately, and I don't know if it was because of the game recent patch or because of recent drivers. I changed both at relatively the same time and only re-tested DX12 a few days ago. Trying to load a map is a crash, sometime even being in the menu is a crash. DX11 is fine.

7. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I have not had time to see if the new AMD driver helps performance on single card configurations. But DX12 won't even launch for me. Have not tried it in a few days and now we have another driver so who knows. But DX11 performance has been pretty solid for me, no drops.

8. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    The game plays fine in DX12 for me, only problem I have is that the game hangs when I try to close it. No stuttering though and performance is a lot better than DX11.

9. Dygaza

Dygaza Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    I think you mean WDDM 2.1 ;) Seriously , I tried to resist :p

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No no, you're right, I wouldn't resist either :D

11. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    Over here I tried DX12 with new drivers and it still crashes, saw other people say the same. Issue might be that the newest BF1 patch broke DX12, or it could be that it updated DX12 and AMD needs to change their drivers, hard to say.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  13. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
  14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    I enabled vysnc for this game and it is smooth. Was getting major screen tearing with the new driver that felt like it was stuttering. I don't notice much input lag. It feels better like this.

15. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    New game patch has released, might be worth testing DX12 again.

16. cod6da

cod6da Member

GPU:
    powercolor rx 480 8gb
    dx12 still s**t...

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    I cant even load the game with DX12.

But in beta DX12 ran alot smoother for me then DX11 did.

But other then that, the game runs very smooth for me.

I just got the game friday. Does not stuter, and cant believe how well my 290x runs it.

18. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Status regarding frame times in dx11 crossfire please report, ("perfoverlay.drawgraph 1") I will probably do so in 4 hrs if no replies.

19. fish

fish Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT
    I have a 290x, On release I could get a pretty steady 60fps on ultra after the 1st patch I had to drop to medium to keep the same performance, playing 1080p. Just curious - what are you in game settings and resolution please.

20. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    DX12 started working for me again after some recent drivers (might be the ReLive drivers), but even with the new drivers and the latest BF1 patch, I still get some stutters.
    Short version: whenever I get close to something new in a match, the game stutters. After playing a match for 20 minutes, I've typically seen everything and DX12 stops stuttering.

I don't know of a good way to compare performance between DX11 and DX12, due to the chaotic nature of BF1. Only thing I can say is that after playing the new map in Conquest 64 to completion with both DX11 and DX12, my CPU temps were lower in DX12. My CPU temps in DX11 are always the same after every match, currently have only done one match with DX12 so can't say if it was a fluke. But it wouldn't be a huge surprise if CPU usage was a bit better with DX12.