Battlefield 1 stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Virs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    It's currently possible to play Battlefield 1 for 10 hours for users with Origin Access. (The 5$ monthly subscription that gives you access to around 40 "free" games, extended demos, discount on games)

During the open beta, BF1 multiplayer ran like a dream. No issues whatsoever.
    I'm currently playing the single-player, and I get a bunch of stutters. I'm using the Automatic/recommended settings, all of them. I don't see my FPS in-game, but it seems to be high whenever I'm not stuttering like mad.

Whenever I stutter, my GPU usage and Core Clock both drop very low. It seems as if the game simply stops using my GPU for half a sec (which, of course, would explain the stutters).

Power Efficiency is NOT turned on. I tried both with and without +50% power limit. (which fixed this type on issues on my 7950)
    I'll try playing with clockblocker later. Drivers are 16.10.1, card is 390, using DX12 mode in-game.

2. Hana88

Hana88 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati radeon 7970@ 1100/145
    Try dx11??

3. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    Can confirm the gameplay stutter is there only in DX12.

DX11 gameplay is smooth, but the cutscenes are wrong in DX11. Not exactly stutter, but look like15fps, same problem Alien Isolation cutscenes had.

4. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Try these commands in console

PerfOverlay.DrawFPS 1 - it will show FPS counter in upper right corner
    Render.DrawScreenInfo 1 - it will show you some perf stats and graphs of frames rendering times etc., so you will be able to find out what is causing a stutter.

5. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    DX11 did seem to fix the stutters, despite running slower. Depending on where I am, DX12 is about 10% faster.
    I couldn't see what was causing the stutters based on the graph. My CPU usage is a tiny bit higher in DX12, but I can't see anything bottlenecking. The game just seems to stop running for a split second and then start again.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    you could try increasing the RenderAheadLimit this will increase input lag, but it should be Ok so long as you keep it under 3/4 and are maintaining reasonably high framerates. Increasing this reduced stutter for me during the beta

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    The cutscenes are locked at 30 fps, which looks jarring when coming from 60+ fps play.

I also get a bit of stutter in dx12, but its much better overall performance compared to dx11. Looks like we just gotta wait for patch/drivers.

8. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    RenderAheadLimit 3 (or 4) in the console? Just asking since the console typically shows commands as I write them, and this one doesn't show. It didn't give me an error either, so its possible it worked.

I tried RenderAheadLimit 3 and running clockblocker (since the stutters are accompanied by the clock dropping). Stutters were definitely not as bad with both things tried. They still happened, but were much shorter.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870

ah sorry about that
    "RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit" should be the correct cvar

10. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    I'm having the same, according to perfoverlay.drawgraph the CPU what's causing the stutters but it doesn't happen in DX11 so I think it's a DX12 related issue.
    Probably a driver or game update will fix it, but so far DX11 gives better experience.

11. Virs

Virs Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390
    I still have a few hours left in the trial, so I'll try that. I tried clockblocker alone and I think it helped, possibly since the clocks aren't lowered, its faster for the game to come back to "life" after the stutter.

12. Kruse

Kruse Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    The game defaulted to DX12 on installation and I noticed some shuttering and "laggy" performance despite it being very smooth during beta, so I switched to DX11 and it's much better now.

13. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Well, you guys are lucky its only laggy..

For me, when it works, its laggy, and odd performing..

When it doesn't work, it crashes to desktop with directx errors.. No rhyme or reason.

14. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Try to install 16.10.2; had issues with 16.10.1 for some reason, and they went away upon installing 16.10.2. Also no difference between dx12 and dx11 so use whichever is smoother for you (seems to be dx11 for most).

15. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 looks like a haircomb even after the patch. Clocks are stable, no throttle, dx11 295x2 crossfire. latest drivers. In dx12 cpu delay is lower, but gpu averages a couple of ms higher.

16. Biebo

Biebo Active Member

GPU:
    GPU
    Same here. Dx12 is unplayable. I get huge cpu spikes to the point where everything just freezes for a second. Happens every 5 seconds and doesn't go away. Totally unplayable. Such a shame because dx12 would really help with minimum fps. Especially on maps like scar.

17. screwtech02

screwtech02 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Glad I havent gotten this yet.... That graph above says ALOT about the game in its current state...

18. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    DX12 half the time crashes as soon as it initializes fullscreen for me.. DX11 is pretty decent. But its hard for me to lock at 75 fps... It's close, but it has some areas it seems to struggle, hoping that DX12 will fix that.

19. Biebo

Biebo Active Member

GPU:
    GPU
    The dx11 code is perfect and the game is almost bugfree. Amazing launch imo.
    It's the dx12 renderpath that needs some patching.

20. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    The stuttering is present in both dx11 and dx12.

crossfire doesn't work in dx12, but dx12 still has stuttering and graphic glitching.