1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    That some textures are low res...there is no fix with the Unreal Engine, the higher res just loads too slowly. But most textures are sharp... I'm used to this through older Batman games, Bioshock 1-2 etc.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Seen several threads on other forums stating that this is the worst port ever released.

And really, I would strongly disagree with that. It's disappointing, annoying... and frustrating. But, it's incredibly far from being the worst port ever.

The game has performance issues for a lot. The lack of graphical options is annoying, and the 30fps cap is just as annoying.

But, the game isn't locked at 720p. It has full mouse support, even support for extra mouse buttons. Allows remapping of all controls.
    Doesn't BSOD peoples computers, nor does it hard lock them forcing a restart.

The main reason I see people being so upset at this is the 30fps cap.
    Dead Rising 3 released with it, but Capcom told people about it before release. And told them they'd tell them how to unlock it. So, people accepted it.
    Even though that game performs worse. Crashes more... and feels sluggish while playing.

Honestly, if Watch_Dogs or AC:Unity had a 30fps cap... they would've been blasted way worse. As both games were in far worse shape. And, in a lot of ways, still are in way worse shape.
    But, because B:AK has a 30fps cap... it's suddenly way worse then either of those. Even though it looks better, has better gameplay, is far more stable.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    [​IMG]

Sigh.

I don't see this feature?

4. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Currently it is only possible through the ini file. Previously it crashed the engine. Patch notes state that future patches will make this option available through the menus. Personally I have never cared for motion blur.

5. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Suffered my first ever hard crash and had to reboot while visiting Wayne tower.

6. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Normal textures are identical to consoles'.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Normal uses the same textures as the consoles.
    And the rain effects were there, just a bug stopping them from working.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Which is pretty high-res although the streaming system is somewhat buggy at times.
    (Textures are up to 2048x2048 though lower-detail objects such as LOD objects and some of the minor character models and props use 512x512 )

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm really, really loving this.

And, some of the small little touches are so awesome. The way clothes are done in the game. I've noticed on Gordon, Jack Ryder and a few other characters
    Joker
    ... the clothes are finally not a stiff, static model.

10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't know if it continues throughout the whole game but one thing I am not liking is:

Being constantly forced to use the Batmobile to complete missions.

I appreciate that it's a big new feature etc but I find the narrative's constant reliance on it to be borderline annoying, and more importantly, immersion breaking.

JM2C

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.

I'm at 80% story completion (Thinking I might be at the last two - three or so main missions and possibly the last time you can go back and do side objectives before the storyline concludes and since I want the full ending with the "Knightfall" protocol and whatever that triggers it's time to hunt down some 200 riddler trophies and finishing up the other stuff. :p ) but yeah the batmobile is used pretty frequently in both the main and side missions, had a pretty big section just before the current mission where I had to use it nearly exclusively.
    (I don't really use it during exploration though unless I need to solve a puzzle with it, faster to travel by air and less obstructions too since it's very easy to avoid encounters when gliding.)

(One of the reviewers pointed out how the game world didn't feel very alive and more like it was specifically made for making it feel like you are playing a videogame and I definitively agree with that but it's pretty well crafted and I'm still enjoying exploring it even if it doesn't make much sense at times or how to say.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  12. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Normal textures are actually better than consoles (not that obvious but you can see it clearly on some detailed textures when comparing screenshots), though low is lower than consoles.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm stuck on Low due to the limitations of my GPU.

14. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Setting the poolsize for textures to 2048 or 4096 loads much better looking textures. Applied the same tweak to both Arkham games. Loads more textures and reduces streaming.

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    who ever thought the DVD copy of the game will carry the whole game should quit gaming on PC

16. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    You can't really fix U3E streaming, this pos is doomed by default.

SSD or HDD doesn't matter, its how it allocates it.. Same thing by games that barely hit 1GB vram - older Batman AA or other older U3E stuff.

MassEffect1 or GOW or Alice2 or Tron also - but I magically fixed it here when I raised its poolsize and mipmaps a bit, it didint help by others made it worse or maybe less frequent but its still there.

these values are the most important when it comes to "fixing" bad code

PoolSize=

HysteresisLimit=
    DropMipLevelsLimit=
    StopIncreasingLimit=
    StopStreamingLimit=

FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=
    FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=

MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0

U4E is somewhat questionable too, but a lot better, poor coding is poor imo. Frostbyte engine or Cryengine has 10x better texture streaming.

Speaking of this game perf. it also benefits from fast per core performance.

[​IMG]
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1022-batman-arkham-knight-benchmarks/page7.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  18. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Very interesting post Stone gargoyle, yet not surprising... i knew the instant that consoles with unified memory was announced, that it would create alot of issues on pc with bloated ram / vram requirements, which all pure "NeXT gen" games has suffered from.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, then is a good thing I'm going to upgrade to 16gbs in the next couple weeks. :p

Honestly, I'm experiencing really any stuttering. And the texture streaming isn't nearly as bad as I've seen in some other UE3 games.

20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    My god the combat is the most dreadful in this game.. batman literally slides 10 meters to another dude and punches him, slides 10 meters... lol, inbetween combos, how stupid is that? Doesn't look realistic at all.

One thing that pulls me down in this game is the combat, rest is cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.