Batman: Arkham Knight

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Any news on the patch?

2. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    ok, was able to finally play the game and considering all the issues it has, it ran pretty well, but i also had very low expectations obviously. hadn't removed the fps lock and didn't notice any missing textures, major stuttering or framedrops except in the batmobile there was a little dip. but then the game crashed when you meet ivy :wanker: so, back to not playing until a patch has been released

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I thought I had performance much more stable until I gained access to the second island at which point my fps tanked completely due to the area being vastly more detailed than the first you start off on. I mean it looks amazing and is actually a step up from what we are used to with a much higher vertical roof than ever before but there's no way I can play anymore even if I wanted to.

Good news that something at least is in testing currently, perhaps we won't after wait long after all?

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I would crash too if I met ivy....

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    26 hours and 70% complete :D I've played City twice and always started feeling bored when Al Ghul's section starts, over here I've had fun throughout. Nice! No crashes or anything like that at all. Let's see if the Batgirl dlc will be any good.

You can do AR training as many times as u like - go to the location or do it from the main menu. If you forgot how to perform a move, simply go to the upgrade menu and press A (or whatever your playstation controller has) on the bat symbol. It will list everything with a small video.

You're gonna love AK then, he's awesome here.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, true and I agree with you. I am quite sure people are also having crashing issues too.

My point was that this game is known to be poorly optimised and I know myself that there is a memory leak (it eats VRAM for breakfast; it is the only game I know of that uses my entire 6 GB) so running numerous backgrounds apps and streaming really is not going to actually improve things, I wouldn't have thought!

If you want to play this game in its current state and without constant crashing then my suggestion is to make sure that you are not running a ton of background processes too. I mean Angry Joe even had Adobe Photoshop open while he was playing and there looked to be about 5 or 6 apps open judging by the task bar.

I would also suggest not tampering with the INI files either as the current build is clearly intended to be played at 30 fps and anything higher results in texture streaming issues on my system. Maybe I have just been lucky but I have been playing it 3840x2400 (using DSR) with all the GameWorks features on for around 7-8 hours (actually it's almost 10 hours now...) and I have only had one virtual memory crash. I'm at the same point in the game that Angry Joe reached too, coincidentally, where you team up with Catwoman.

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yup. Did that in the last 2 months now back to ArkhamCity. The game is still f**king beautiful.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Hamill retired from joker no?

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I thought so too, but looks like he came back for AK according to imdb. Such a shame the game is a technical mess on PC, for Hamill's voice acting alone it would be worth a playtrough. :(

10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Spoilers. Noooo!

11. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    seems i wasn't the only one then :D replaying them all in excitement for knight... too bad until now it's been a big let down

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Saying "is there" ain't exactly a spoiler, but to say "how" would be the real spoiler.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah I don't know how either but it may well be a recording for all I know.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The infected blood from the Arkham City events wasn't completely recovered and five people are infected with one showing no symptoms and the other four somehow slowly mutating and becoming Joker taking on various aspects of his personality.

Batman himself was infected in Arkham City and through the exposure to Scarecrows new gas this triggers the infection again with hallucinations of Joker appearing virtually everywhere in the game.
    (Often with dark humor type comments on current events since it seems Batman is going from one mess to another causing problems everywhere as a result.)
    (Spoilers.)

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Haha, uh thanks I guess. I'll not read that

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hah yeah best wait until you've gotten through the initial storyline parts of Arkham Knight before reading that. :)
    (It's not too far into the story as such but you do get the option to pursue various side objectives very early on so it could potentially be a while before resuming with the main objective, especially now that Rocksteady teased that overall completion will affect the ending and you need to do it all to get the full ending, of course that could end up being just minor differences, I'm not looking forward to collecting all of the 250 or so riddler trophies ha ha.)

Hopefully it won't take more than a few weeks at most for WB and the actual developer studios to get the game in shape and ready for re-release.
    (It's playable but there's various missing effects and on AMD the stuttering problem is especially noticeable so overall it's not very enjoyable currently even though the game itself is pretty good.)

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Anyone try out these tweaks? :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

"f you uncapped your framerate in this game and then noticed texture quality seem to dip significantly, here's why.

The resource manager in this game uses a hysteresis to determine which textures to load/unload and when. This particular feature was tuned for a constant 30 FPS, and behaves really quirky when you go beyond that.

I have found texture level of detail streaming to be much more reliable at 60 FPS using the following in BmEngine.ini:

[TextureStreaming]
    MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
    PoolSize=768
    MemoryMargin=128
    MemoryLoss=0
    HysteresisLimit=30
    MinRequestedMipsToConsider=9
    MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=5
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
    UseTextureFileCache=False
    MinEvictSize=9
    bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

Incidentally, to properly smooth out 60 FPS for a much more playable experience (believe me you want this, it's almost impossible to sustain 60 FPS exactly), tweak the following (also in BmEngine.ini)

[Engine.Engine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=58
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62
    FrameRateLimitingSetting=8

[Engine.Client]
    MinDesiredFrameRate=60.000000

In BmSystemSettings.ini, these settings are necessary to uncap 30 FPS:

[SystemSettings]
    MaxFPS=60.000000 ; was 30.0

Let's increase texture quality about as much as we can (some textures the game stores, but not all are 2048x2048 and greater, so we can't switch to 2Kx2K textures unfortunately -- perhaps a later high quality texture pack DLC is intended?)

Below are all quality tweaks, don't do them if you're not swimming in untapped GPU power.

[SystemSettings]
    MaxAnisotropy=16
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-2,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_Sharpen6)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_Sharpen6)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)

A word of caution, negative LOD bias tends to cause high frequency aliasing on mipmaps (sparklies and moire patterns you might call them). The anti-aliasing filter will take care of this a little bit. I'd suggest you don't apply a negative LOD bias to character normal / specular maps. You also need to make sure your driver doesn't clamp negative LODs or it won't do anything. The basic idea is to effectively skip 1 of the lower resolution images in the mip-map, this is pretty beneficial in this game while the world's textures are being streamed in. You don't have to look at the butt ugly low resolution mipmaps (which are the first mipmap level ordinarily loaded)

With all this done, I've seen some pretty significant boosts in performance (the darn texture streaming system is the cause of many many many performance problems) on my two machines tested and texture quality is as good (Slightly better in fact) than it was before I removed the 30 FPS cap.

Incidentally, on my NVIDIA hardware, a borderless window offers a more consistent framerate once you disable VSYNC and SLI (or set SLI to single-GPU mode) than Fullscreen. It's usually about 2-3 FPS difference, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's constant and you can avoid that nonsense just by using a borderless window.

EDIT 2: Disable texture file cache + switching streaming system + increase memory pool helps with Batmobile performance"

I will test this out tonight and report back.

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Did them all in asylum, but by the time city had rolled along there was so many more, pretty sure I got bored. Didn't even bother getting them all in origins.

I don't mind the puzzles of them, but there's way too many, specially 250

19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I played for just a few minutes (can't play too much right now), and the tweaks I previously linked did in fact seem to make the game a bit smoother. The batmobile is still a laggy mess, but it seems better (at least for the short time I tested)

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Got my refund from GMG. Happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.