Batman Arkham Knight - Warner Bros. Suspends Game Sales for PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    In Aus a gtx 980 is $699 and a new game is $89...steam or retail.

No...it's like buying a car for $69,900 and getting a free $8900 boat.

Don't be ridiculous. Even in the U.S, a $500 gpu with a $49 game is thr same thing, and certainly a large enougb chunk to have value.

If the 'boat' swayed me from another 'car' maker and then I got a visit from someone from the boat company telling me they were 'pulling' my brand new boat because they had made a manufacturing error and that I would have to wait indefinitely for a potential replacement...or that there is a chance they would bring back the broken boat without fixing it completely...I would be on the phone to the car dealership screaming.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    To say that a game is free because it's advertised as free is BS. Everybody involved in the process knows it; it's a gimmick to imply value and persuasion to your purchasing decisions. That's all.

There is a cost. Everything has a cost. And whether some believe or not, all costs are passed down to the consumer.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You know Batman Arkham Knight is a GameWorks game right? That NVIDIA has already given money to the development to sponsor GameWorks features?
    It's not free to NVIDIA of course not :D It doesn't entitle you to get a refund for a game you didn't buy.

Sure, nothing is free, read what I said above. If you think a 980 costs $60 more because you get the game then that's just bizarre.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Most companies never had the biggest digital retailer of their product offering a no question refund on games they have bought in the past. The move wasn't ballsy they were getting not only their rep but their bottom line booted with every sale and refund and they had no other option.

5. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    The 980 will not cost $60 more, it's already included, whether it be marketing, R&D, and any other associated costs. It's there, whether you get the purported "free" stuff or not.

Whether it entitles someone to a refund, that's arguable either way, because the consumer could have purchased something else.

When I purchased my 290x from Sapphire, it came with Battlefield, I could have got it from a different brand/company that did not include it, but it shifted my decision to the one that came with Battlefield. And that's the argument, you could have purchased from some different brand/company had the purported "free" not been offered.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's in the terms and conditions so you can't argue anything :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I got my refund from GMG processed. F*ck you WB. No money from me. I'll pick this up in a steam sale when it's £3, like the other Batman games.

8. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    The only reason they've done it is to slow down all the refunds and bad reviews on steam.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The value is as advertizing. For a refund, you could sit and watch Progressive Insurance commercials for 24 hours. It might be almost as entertaining as the game.

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What! What sort of nonsense is that? The card costs the same with or without the game. As for your deranged comparison of purchasing a car/boat vs a gpu...im not even going to waste my time explaining to you as to why that such a ridiculous comparison. But to be able to fabricate such a comparison clearly explains how some people manage to come to such conclusions of their missed placed sense of entitlement.

Again, the cards cost the same with ot without the game codes.

No...no its not:

http://www.geforce.com/FreeAdventures
    http://www.geforce.com/witcher-3-batman-ak-bundle/terms

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    A far better analogy would be purchasing a VW Jetta and get a free TREK mountain bike and roof rack.

An airbag is an essential and necessary part of a vehicles emergency restraint system. Since when is a free game essential and necessary for the functionality of a graphics card or vice versa?

13. otyg

otyg Guest

GPU:
    I don't know what third world country (.)(.) is from but if this was a Jury based court, we would of gotten a refund and some compensation, since clearly there are more yes votes then no,..

Now clearly WB never gave a timeline when they will have it fixed or corrected, as of now it is pulled (as never existed) I never even got to download it since it was deleted - pulled from steam, clearly free or not customers are entitled to the product I have a key that differs no more then someone else's key that paid $60

If this type of scandalous activity was ok then everyone would do it.

Take a mail in rebate for example, it says free $30 mail in rebate but obviously that is worth $30

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

The game is not removed from steam permanently, it will return.
    You are owed nothing as the free item is exactly that - free.
    You can make what ever weird and twisted comparisons you like, but this is what it is. Its not a free airbag, its not a free boat and its not a mail rebate.

Stop being an impatient stroppy little gamer and be patient, you'll get your game once its fixed.

Its quite simple really, when playing on pc, you take the risk that a game will be broken on launch.. so if you go and spend $500 dollars on a gpu simply because it includes a free game then thats your fault for having the wrong priorities. Not to mention that like Arkham Knight, AA, AC and Origins all had well documented issues on launch, AC for 6 months and yet knowing this, you and others still based your purchase on the game more so than the actual product - the gpu.

15. otyg

otyg Guest

GPU:
    Well for you it is probably simple, let mommy and daddy pay for everything but when you have to work and work hard for your money it will open your eyes what things cost, and nothing is free.

Needless to say just to prove a point I got $15 refunded by Steam as a one time exception, I tried to get $60 but they said for these type of promotions I could only get wholesale or actual price of the product key.

Good luck with your non ETA "fixed" game in the future lol.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not usually agreeing with (.)(.) lately, but i agree with him completely on this

You guys are seriously upset and want a refund on something you got for free?

Really?

I'm sorry, i work retail, when DVDs are release, sometimes there are free items on it, if the manufacturer of said item calls a recall, no one is going to be giving you a refund for that free product. You will be getting a replacement (in this sense it's fixes to the game) ofcourse, a replacement of that EXACT PRODUCT. But NEVER a refund, what do you want a refund on? 0.00$? that's what you paid. No matter the backwards logic you want to use by saying "well..... the card is 499.99, and the game retails at 59.99, so i should get a refund on 59.99, even though i paid 499.99 for the card, and got the game for free...." What you're doing is making money appear out of nowhere for refunds like that, YOU PAID NOTHING for the free item so why would you get a refund?

And the car analogies? really? If the boat manufacturer (in reply to Emille's analogy) recalled said boat they would be offering you a new/fixed boat at a later time, so what are you trying to argue? That they are trying to do the same thing here? Or do you have some backwards idea that the boat would just be gone? Why would the boat just be gone? that's not logical, that holds no logic, you would be receiving a replacement and/or fixed boat at a later time. So your analogy doesn't work for you, it instead works against you.

Seriously gamers, get your heads out of your ass's lately, this is getting ridiculous

Let me guess, you got the game for free? and you got $15 for it? You're a horrible person.

For one: You did not get a refund, instead you got a "Just go away, here, i'll throw some money at you, will you leave now?" and as a penalty you got your game taken away from you.

For two: You just got money thrown at you by a company that has nothing to do with the problem. You think they billed that $15 to WB? No, they took that out of their own bottom line. That's like going to Ford because your Honda didn't work and getting a refund (partial) from them, that you didn't pay to Ford, but Ford gave you the money anyways. Really? You like taking money from people/business for other peoples screw ups? When my neighbor screws you over saying he'll mow your lawn and he doesn't mow your lawn, are you going to come over to my place and demand a refund from me, as well?

And don't you reply to this with "blah blah blah they are a big company" BS

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, you couldn't be more wrong in your assumption in regards to my financial position, but im certainly not interested in giving you the pleasure of having me explain myself to you.

As for "nothings free". Guess what, that free game you got with your gpu, it was exactly that - Free.

Go look at the cost of a 970 without the batman promotion, you'll find that the cost of the gpu is exactly the same price give or take $10-20 here and there, with $10-20 certainly not enough to cover the cost of a new release AAA title. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you find the majority of 970's (without the free game) as being more expensive than what you paid.

You say you got a refund. On what, the game you didn't pay for, that was included with your gpu for free? You're no different to a pirate that demands a refund because the game you stole didn't work. Despicable.

Until you can prove that the cost of the game is included in the promotion, your points and excuses are moot. In the mean time, know that the $15 refund you got was nothing but hush money handed out to silence the whiny little man-child.

Anyway, im done. You want to know why the pc is often ignored or treated badly by publishers - its because of gamers like you. Between your preordering from developers who consistently release broken products to your sense of entitlement the pc platform is in the state its in because unlike the gaming industry, the pc gamer never grew up. But I guess your comfort is in using the blaming of consoles as an excuse while using 4k @ 25fps and lowered settings as giant rubber dildo for a pacifier.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  18. otyg

otyg Guest

GPU:
    Like I said good luck waiting for a fixed game, if you have been around you will know that is PR run-around, I bet their lawyers told them to pull it before there was even more damages like a class action lawsuit.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What does that have to do with the current conversation?

...Nothing, right.

In terms of what you said that has to do with the game; could people who bought it and not gotten a refund "maybe" done a class action lawsuit? maybe, can you, or anyone who got it for free? No. So i guess you're bringing up the fact that got a free game and are entitled to nothing BUT fixing the game.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Glad you got a refund, i was never touching this game at launch after WB shady BS on the last BM game, were they basically said, **** you customer, we got your money, you cant get that back, so we will no longer be fixing anymore bugs or issues, oh but we will be making DLC that we are sure you will buy because we love our customer. lol

Seems now with steam and other places offering digital refunds, thay can no longer treat customers with such contempt, which it is going to be interesting to watch, to see how game devs and publishers act now that safety net of locked in digital pre-orders and digital sales has been taken away from them, i got my popcorn all ready for it. lol