Batman: Arkham Knight PC Has 12GB of RAM recommendation

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    How can they mess up this badly?
    They should try programming embedded controllers just to learn memory management.

3. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Unreal Engine 3 game demands a 12 gb.
    What a crazy world.

4. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Performance is still subpar. :/

5. evilos

evilos Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    performance is the same, but now i have almost zero stutter, ofc, with NORMAL textures, with HIGH crazy stutter, this game dosent look that impresive, on my end, Batman AK is consuming 10GB of RAM, 12GB pagefile, and whole 3,5GB VRAM(GTX970) sometimes hitting that another 0,5GB pool, crazy stuff :) compared to games like GTA V or Witcher3 :) Batman AK is example how not to make pc port

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    DDR3 has been so cheap for years that there's no particular reason not to have 16GB. DDR4 is reasonably priced as well already unless you want the best. But the best always carries a premium price, surprise surprise. The only problem I see are people who are planning to relatively soon build a new PC with DDR4, and thus wouldn't want to anymore get more DDR3 for their current machine.

7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Oops! They did it again.
    This game is broken as ACU.

8. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Please people,no matter how much you like batman please don't support these losers and don't buy this poorest console port in years. This is not a fault of Dev's but the studio's philosophy and we need to make sure that we show them the middle finger as well as we can. We r PC gamers and unless we start boycotting $hitty console ports we will never be getting what we really deserve

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Broken or not 8GB system ram gaming rigs are thing of the past. I know plenty of users still use 8GB but upgrade is in order. If not for AK, maybe for some other game in the future.

10. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Wen i'm testing my ram use is not more than 6,7gb pagefile 11 gb also in battlefield 4 so mutch pagefile use.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Ofc DX12 games will need 16GB in the future.And 16GB or another 8GB to the system is not a big price for gaming.
    What we got now in DX11 is still enough with 8GB.

Old unreal 3 engine and Ubifail in-house engine are crap.Too much problems with leak memory or textures.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's only true if you have quad/triple channel memory... Tests have shown that once you go beyond 12GB you're actually losing performance, because there's just too much memory to be addressed.

Besides, why buy what you won't use? For a PC strictly used for gaming, 16GB is stupidly high. 12GB is plenty and a good amount for people who like modding, but it's not overkill. 8GB is a healthy minimum for the vast majority of modern games. I have yet to use up more than 6GB on my gaming, but I also keep my gaming rig pretty barebones and I don't play the same game for an entire day in 1 sitting.

13. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Sheesh 12GB min? From the looks of it, I'm not going to even bother with this game.

Hell, when BF4 came out, I had 8GB of ram with pagefile disabled, and the game ran flawless, on high, with a few options on very high, on my old GTX 570.

Although I think I would be fine to run this game now with current specs, but it just sounds like the engine is garbage for PC.

14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I'd really like to see what this will use up on the DeskStar....

Anyone with a B:AK serial laying around...??

Paging files unless on your SSD (hopefully raided) should a thing of the past. RAM is cheap enough that a minimum of 16gb for a gaming system should be standard. I think devs should be pushing for more RAM usage and or requirements. I would love to see a game capable of using 15-20gb of RAM, so as to completely negate any direct reading from any storage medium at all.

Even my raided SSD's are a bottleneck considering actual data throughput when compared to the 55+Gb/s my system RAM is capable of.

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I paid that premium price to have the most/best at the time. Normally I do not do that when building, but this was a build to last at least three/four years. Mostly in hopes to keep the case and cooling components and only have to upgrade the core guts of the system. So I hope to be good to go for some time considering games are just starting to tap that higher end spot regarding the use of system resources.

I would love to be able to have a game use up most of what I have in my system because it is there and the game knows (is programmed) to use it. Come on 20+GB system RAM requirements. .....

16. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Lol your system is overkill for any game out on the market. Probably will be that way for a few years. ;)

17. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    RAIDED SSD'S? Not good enough for a system like that.

Get an M.2 SSD. Samsung 951 512gb. Best SSD I've ever bought.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yeah I hear you on that. I'm currently looking into the NvME 1+Tb PCI-e drives and if I'd have enough available PCI-e lanes left as my GFX cards are taking up all 40. On top of the fact that there is no more room in between my cards for that said PCI-e SSD, so I'd have to get an extension ribbon and try to find a spot for it.

Not looking to upgrade the whole board (M.2 support) until Pascal and if ever Nvidias NV-Link goes mainstream for us regular consumer folk...

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It seems people here don't understand the issue with a 12GB RAM requirement.

Do most gaming PC's have 16GB+? Sure. But 12GB is a clear sign that the game has some serious issues.
    It's not that 12GB is bad, it's that we know it's not necessary for this game to use that much.

20. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I highly doubt they'd say it, but what if that was one of the main issues plaguing it from the beginning...? The 12gb of RAM requirement that they never wanted to plaster on their game in fear it would face recourse in doing so...? Only an assumption from me, but I completely understand where you are coming from as well.

I have been waiting quite a few years for games to require more and more RAM. I have always felt that RAM as a resource for pooling information when regarding a "game" has never been able to be fully exploited. What I mean to say is that why does a game have to have a limitation on how much RAM it can truly access....?! If someone has 8gb then I expect the game to use far less RAM as most would be tied up elsewhere in the OS, but on the flip side why does someone with 32+gb of RAM have that "proverbial" limitation of full on access to ones resources.

In theory developers have to code for the least performing component all the way up to the fastest and best components, so that should also mean the same thing for system resources....? Right? The game actually exploits the systems available resources in its entirety.........., but hey.....I can dream right...?