Batman Arkham City

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by illdrag0n, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Do you have to use New Story+ in order to use the skin pack or are they available regardless for all difficulties?

2. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Are these dx9 or dx11 shots, looks nice. I take it thats the animated series skin batman?

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    hmmm....
    I'd like to take back what I've said, about DX11 not being much better looking then DX9.

I know it may sound stupid.

But Bat's shadow + shadow of his coat DOES LOOK MIGHTY FINE in DX11,

and does give a nice touch to the overall feel

4. evohan

evohan Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus DCU2 GTX670 4GB SLI
    dx9 but ıam using post process and shapen effect

5. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    nice shots!

6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    dx11 does add a little something. While the api basically has the same feature set as dx9 minus tessellation - dx11 allows the ability of so many more instructions to be used, helping a game look better and run better.

Realistically, you can make a photorealistic game using dx9 - the problem lies on how it would run, future api's will be more about allowing things to run smoother than they will be about implenting new feature set's. We're pretty much there, the features are there, it's the power it takes to run it all.

Perfect example Serious Sam 3, they used DX9, had they used DX11 and made the same game with no visual improvements, they could of optimised it better using the dx11 api so it could have run better on dx11 hardware. But looked exactly like they intended it in dx9. It runs so rough because it is on a limited dx9 api that doesn't allow as many instructions to be used

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @SerotoNiN - DX9 is absolutely ancient by computing standards and, as you said, is not optimised at all for today's multi-threaded systems. With DX11 being backward compatible with DX10 and Windows XP, which can't use DX10 or 11 anyway, heading for retirement at long last (I can't imagine any core gamers still use it), it really is time all game engines used DX11 or the newer OpenGL.

And why isn't Serious Sam 3 running on DX11 anyway? It's an exclusive PC game, isn't it?

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i got the skins pack too. nightwing looks pretty badass.

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Unfortunately no, it's a console game - they just brought it to the PC first like the good ol days of PC gaming =)

And croteam said they used DX9 to not alienate any of the market. :bang:

10. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1
    I would like to apologies to some forum members and for derailing this thread. I'm sorry.:O

So can we speculate who will be adversaries in next Batman installment ? (spoiler alert)

11. evohan

evohan Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus DCU2 GTX670 4GB SLI
  12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i just ordered Arkham City today, waited for the DX11 patch before placing the order, so until my copy arrives..

i'mma gonna play with thiiiiiiiiis :D pshhhh pshhhh

[​IMG]

13. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    About to order this on Origin, is the patch available over there? I have waited for this game and held of for WEEKS due to issues, didnt feel like grabbing an ISO either.

14. Templ

Templ Guest

DX11 starts to stutter after a few minutes no matter what I do. DX9 + PhysX on High works great however (even though a GTX 570 + dedicated GTX 460 is recommended :stewpid:). DX11 doesn't add much anyway... although I do fancy me those shadows... mmmmm. Ah well, what can you do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  15. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    The patch does not come from ORIGIN it comes from windows live it will automatically detect and update it.

16. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
  17. tony_almeida

tony_almeida Active Member

GPU:
    Videocard
    there is a little difference between directx 9 and directx 11 on this game more less %5
    if there would be more than that, believe me developers would add comparasion screenshots and videos everywhere, like physx

but the general difference between dx9 and dx11 is more less %10
    that means the game fails slightly to adopt dx11 somehow.
    for me the important thing that the performance drop is more than %50.
    and yes i cant play any game less than 60 fps. i prefer more than 100 fps if it is possible.

Even with the greatest hardware (sli gtx 590 or something) the greatest software (directx 11) the game wont look close to this.
    http://www.5min.com/Video/Batman-Arkham-City-Hugo-Strange-Knows-Everything-516908248
    We know that it's cgi but i dont f*cking care.
    If the technology was high enough, we could have these graphics.

We dont know who to blame (game developers, graphic card manufacturers bla bla bla)
    But the truth that progress of PC game sector is getting slower and slower since 2004.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

You have to beat the game first.

19. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    So in your opinion the difference between dx9 and dx11 is 5% and in the next paragraph you say it's 10%, so which is it? And anyway what is the point you're trying to make? Posting a link to some cgi video and saying that if our tech was advanced enough we would have similar graphics in video games by now? The truth is (and I know this has been discussed over and over to the death, but I still have to have my say on it) If it weren't for the consoles, we most likely would have in-game graphics comparable to the cgi stuff. We know very well that consoles are to blame for the lack or advancement in graphics (and imo also in content and gameplay, but that's another story) quality in video games. No amount of dx11 shaders and other shenanigans are able to mask the ancient architecture the games are constructed with and running on. The only real advancements in in game graphics we are going to get are when the next damn consoles come out, and most likely even by then they'll be a few generations behind the latest pc tech. So all us pc gamers are getting today and are going to be getting in the future, are dumbed down games with some cosmetic make-up on to make us think we are playing a superior version. Most of this dx11 and other stuff is just marketing talk to get people buy the latest hardware for their pc's so that they'll be able to play the same old console game with some flashy lipstick on. Luckily there still are some rare companies that actually develop first and foremost pc games, but they really seem to be a dying breed ( just look at what recently happened to the Stalker series developer). Still no matter what, I am and will always be a pc gamer (have never owned a console) and as sad as it is, I'll continue playing my pc games with the added mascara and lipstick, not because I want to, but because I have to. -Rant over-

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Just beat it, certainly not done everything. It's still too much of a game but compared to Skyrim it seems inspired. GOTY award from me, second up close by is DX:HR.