Batman: Arkham Asylum PC Demo Out Now

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by proliferazor, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shaderlord

shaderlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 280 OC
    I get fps drops between 25-30 in some areas with physx on high. It runs between 45-60 fps constantly.

Without physx the game plays very good everything maxed out, but I don't wanna miss on the physx effects. Am I doing something wrong? I've read some users with Nvidia cards runs it without any fps drops. I'm using the latest 9.09.0428 version of NVIDIA PhysX.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
  3. shaderlord

shaderlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 280 OC
    I am using 182.50 unfortunately. I had lots of problems with the latest nvidia drivers, so I went back to 182.50 some weeks ago.
    Maybe before the game comes out in September 15th, Nvidia will release new drivers and a new physx especially to improve performance in this game.

4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just played it and I'm impressed, the combat is much smoother and more satisfying than other games I've played in the same genre, and it does look really good.

I'm tempted but I don't really need a game right now, i've got plenty as it is. Maybe I'll buy it a little while later

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    that might be it...i'm using 186.18 and got lowest 35fps when standing it the fog - its coming down from stairs in the last room.

The game said i might have some isuess because 190 should be recommended, but i dont like them since it breaks my fan speed.

6. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I gave it a try finally, it's fun I must say, it reminds me of old-school beat-'em ups like Streets of Rage, and that's certainly a good thing in my book, but of course set in a superb atmosphere, in the context of the Batman universe and comics, it's nice really, I am impressed, the game-play is of good quality, the graphics are great, it finally shows what UE3 is capable of (although UT3 does have good graphics). I like the gritty look, the voice acting is good and natural enough, the Joker is well done (voiced and animated), Batman is has a great looking costume as usual (I always liked that costume), the combat is cool, the animations are superb, the possibility to make various combos is good (I made six consecutive hits on two different guys, it was just great with the slow motion camera).

What impresses me the most is that the developers only made a single game prior to this in their entire history (young history though, they started in 2004 only), namely Urban Chaos for the PlayStation 2, which I never played, so I really can't say anything about them other than if UC sucked then they certainly proved that it was just a mishap and they can do much better with this one. I don't think I will buy it at full price however, I have the feeling that however fun it may be the first and maybe the second time through that it will just end up accumulating dust eventually since it looks quite linear, at least the demo gives me that feeling so far, maybe it's just because it's the introduction. I think I will buy it, but I will wait for a price reduction, and if that takes a year before happening (which would surprise me anyway) then so shall it be.

It looks like this game is shaping up to be the only good Batman game I've played to be honest. I haven't played all of them, most of the ones I played were during the 16-Bit era, and they all sucked for my own tastes, but this one, it's good, definitely good.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    after playing through the demo last night, im def gonna get batman. it looks like a great game. end level bosses ftw :thumbup:
    i wish they would make it multiplayer co-op though, would be even better :)

8. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I tried running physx just for laughs my fps crawled around 10's on high ran around 20's on low without physx it was silky smooth 60fps I wasn't able to force anti aliasing tho so it was a jagged mess great game over all definitely worth checking out:flip2:

9. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Just played it and imo it was above average meh. The characters and environment were well done, but the gameplay itself was just 'spam left mouse to win' with the stealth being a 'wait for a noob to split up' section. Bad guys standing in a circle then attacking one by one ftw (try it out, they keep what order they attacked in so long as you don't move much). I'm assuming this was because of it's a demo and the start of the game so it's just a tutorial. Still...

The quicktime event to open a vent was nice and redundant, I don't see how hitting the space bar a few times more than needed adds to the game.

<ignore this bit if PhysX isn't fully available with an ATI card even when turned on full>
    The PhysX effects were laughable. Aside from being barely noticeable, I think the devs forgot to stop simulating things when they stopped moving and only did this when they were off screen. After beating the first room, I went up to the force field and all of a sudden my fps went from about 7 to 25. Looking to the room and then quickly back to the force field meant my fps dived to 7, then eventually went back to 25 after some delay. The cloth simulation was bogus too, it didn't even have self collision on. The rest of the demo had my fps stable-ish at around 25 fps (full PhysX on) except for certain scenes where it took a dive but I couldn't tell what was bringing it down. CPU usage was only the equivalent of dual core which seems a bit strange considering that GPUs are meant to get their power from heavy parallel processing. Without proper PhysX on it was a constant 60, settings were 1680x1050, max settings, no forced AA. I couldn't tell much difference between no AA and 2xAA except for some lag when it was being forced on.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"

11. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Yeah, Thanx to a combined effort from NVidia + Batman Devs, ATI users really got screwed over.

12. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    All those effects are there and in the same quality as far as I could see. A bit hard to tell since that video wasn't looking for flaws in the simulations. The game is sort of playable with 'normal' PhysX but I just can't see why the big performance hit is justified. I reckon it could be very playable if users could tweak what has advanced simulations (e.g. turn off paper but keep smoke). I guess nVidia wouldn't like that though.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    PhysX isn't really threaded well on normal processors and the type of calculations done by even the old PPU (AGEIA PhysX card.) is many times faster than that of even modern processors (Some type of math calculation.) which is why PhysX acceleration is always quite slow on processors/software but speeds up quite well via CUDA acceleration. (Though you need a decent NVIDIA GPU to handle both PhysX and the normal game to maintain good performance.)

Another way to see it is that all those particles and stuff are calculated individually which allows for them to bounce around and interact with the environment, particularly smoke and debris (Particle effects in general actually.) slow down performance quite a bit when handled only by the CPU.
    (There can be thousands of particles for it to handle.)

Cloth and ragdoll can be handled OK though, unsure about fluids but it depends on how they're used.
    (There's some other stuff as well like rigids and one other, constraints perhaps, but CUDA currently isn't supporting this PhysX implementation.)

14. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Finally someone I can agree with about this demo. Like so many other recent titles, it's more like watching a movie than actually playing a game. Everything is made so easy, seemingly so you can just run through spamming attack, and watch our hero do all sorts of meaningless combos. God forbid there is an element of challenge, where the hero's perfect image could be tarnished by goofing up a combo, or getting injured.

15. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Ok, it IS only a short demo...there was not a difficulty level to choose , so not being a challenge is moot at this point. I think you are expecting too much from a demo. I for one am taking more from it: performance is great, animation is great, voice acting is great.
    I am pretty sure the difficulty will get harder as the game progresses. Plus, there appears there will be a challenge mode, probably similar to the time runs in Mirror's Edge.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i want this game BAD now.this is the game i have been waiting for so long :(

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  18. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I think .NET was just updated via MS auto-update. Maybe something got fixed.

Preordered the game btw. Now here's hoping it's longer than just a few hours to play through. ;)

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Perhaps it gets more challenging, but why would want to stick around for it if I have to be bored for hours to get to a section that only may be fun. Besides, this is just a beat em up, I don't expect leaps and bounds of progression in the game play, so without being able to choose a difficulty level, I find the demo is just plain bad.

Also, I would say the performance is sub par, considering it's cramped environments and extremly minimal AI.

20. Gottex

Gottex Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti TRIO
    ok, finally I managed to play and to tell u the truth, it was GREAT demo ... can't wait for the full one

here is the fix for PC Demo - .NET Framework Launch Issues - http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92273

and I got pretty good perfomance :)

45 min - 60 max FPS single card
    60 min - 65 max FPS (guess its locked) SLI

my spec:
    [Configuration]
    BasedOn=..\BmGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

[SystemSettings]
    Fullscreen=True
    UseVsync=False
    AllowD3D10=True
    ResX=2560
    ResY=1600
    EffectsLevel=3
    MaxMultisamples=4
    DynamicLights=True
    DepthOfField=True
    LensFlares=True
    Bloom=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    MotionBlur=True
    Distortion=True
    FogVolumes=True
    DisableSphericalHarmonicLights=False
    AmbientOcclusion=True
    DetailMode=3
    MaxShadowResolution=512
    IniVersion=5.8

[Engine.Engine]
    PhysXLevel=3
    Language=int

[DevOptions.Shaders]
    bAllowMultiThreadedShaderCompile=False (not sure if this one should be true or false, suggestions welcome :))