Batman: Arkham Asylum PC Demo Out Now

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by proliferazor, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, wish it was coming out sooner, but i'd rather wait 2weeks for the higher quality version, and also like to support the PC version so more games make it onto the PC, not that i think my singular buy will make a difference, but as Sainsbury's say, "every little helps" lol.

But as a few people have said, i went from the PS3 demo, to the 360 one to the PC one on the same 46inch TV with the same settings and its so pleasing to see that even released at the same time, the PC one blows the other two away.
    Just when i was lookin for the PC gaming obituary as well lol.

2. donpyr

donpyr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 Core216 SSC
    I got some strange issue with the game cant figure out whats doing it.

I play it with mouse+keyb even tried with my 360pad.

The issue is that when I dont do anything just leave batman alone dont touch any keys he automaticly goes round in a circle it is pretty annoying and almost got killed by gun inmates cus he left cover all by himself.

Question 2 might not be all that related to this game but saw that another user asked bout it.

I have atm a Sapphire HD4850 card on my other computer, can I buy a 9600GT to do PhysX and 4850 for Primary display, like you would do with a Nvidia card as primary and a 9600GT as PhysX card for example?

Im going to switch to GTX 295 next month anyways but just asking.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    DL'ing, gonna take a bit thx to traffic, but a few hours I'll have it. This will make up my mind I think, if I want the final purchase to be on PC or PS3.

To the above poster...

No you cant do ATI primary with Nvdia Physx, at least not yet, there has been talks of course.

4. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    So what's this game all about? Is it some sort of a linear 3D beat-'em up à-la Streets of Rage set in the Batman universe? Is it an adventure game with an actual story line and scripted events? Is it free-form like Oblivion and Fallout 3? How is it? The article on Wikipedia for it isn't very descriptive, they only say it's a third-person action game with some sort of free roaming on an island.

5. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Download the demo & find out for yourself.
    It is a fighting game, stealth game, platforming game...it allows free-form fighting...
    It is a pretty cool & fun game, judging by the demo.

6. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Lots of physx junk. Awesome, d/l'ing now

7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I would like to, but it's 2GB and my IP is limiting the amount of data I can download per month and I already almost busted it. I think I got around 4 or 5 GB left before I start paying extra per GB over the limit, which I don't want to. That's why I asked about it. Besides... what's a forum for? Discussion, right? Well, so I asked.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    It's sort of a beat-em-up but the demo also shows glimpses of the detective mode (In my opinion it looks a bit simple, just a observation from the demo however and this is technically just showing the "tutorial" at the start of the game and it's toggleable.) plus it has a bit of stealth elements to avoid armed opponents or sneak up on them and eliminate them silently.

Bunch of collectable bonuses as well like character profiles and such, plus it uses LIVE and might recieve DLC such as that Joker chapter and other bonuses. (There's a marketplace button, LIVE isn't used for the demo though.)

Oh and to the question above renaming the EXE to UT3 and forcing AA does work, albeit in the full version with LIVE you'll need to keep the EXE name and probably use the launcher for the game to start properly (Similar to GTA IV.) but unless the EXE name changes ATI might get a profile ready for the 9.8 or 9.9 drivers (Game launches in September so having it ready for the 9.9 drivers would be nice although the drivers themselves could be released anytime wether it's early into the month or at the end of it.)

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    for be honest, i have some doubt ati can do anything for it, look like it's a limitation wanted by the developer, nvidia have put a lot of money on it, we see it now.. ( how many time you see code line in *.ini activate or disable something following the cardvendor, ok for physX, but for AA? what next? this is pure marketing..)

10. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II

11. Gottex

Gottex Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti TRIO
    Did all kinda stuff, haven't been sleeping till 6 a.m. anyway, guess its an issue of 2Gb video cards or something like it ... many people with this cards all gathered here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92152&page=2 with absolutely same error and cards, guess we all have to wait, cause EIDOS SUPPORT starts working only on Monday

12. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Just tried it on the pc since my 360 is currently in a coma T_T. The combat is so darn smooth! This should set the bar for other beat-em-ups, it just feels so refined imo. Ran pretty good too, though enabling physx hurts my framerate a bit (whats the difference btw between normal and high physx?).

Oh yeah, what's a good cheap card that'll work nice for physx? My mobo has an extra 4x pcie slot. I'm guessing that'll be enough?

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    awesome game! awesome visuals! awesome smooth fight moves! awesome physx. a MUST PURCHASE

The only negative points FOR ME;

* I wanted to see the latest BATMOBILE
    * And i wanted to hear original BATMAN DARK KNIGHT or BATMAN RETURNS MUSICS which r more DARK and STRONG for me.

These r small stuff for me :p

14. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Anyone found a workaround to get this demo to work with a Ageia Physx card ? The latest physx drivers won`t work on the card and older drivers won`t work with the game.

15. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Ok :(
    I hope you will find a solution soon.

16. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Are you in the US? I will mail you a dvd of the demo...lol!
    The demo is only 10-15 minutes at best, so it is hard to tell how the final game might pan out, but I found it enjoyable. The gameplay seems a bit varied, from straight forward punch & kick melee, to stealth take-downs ala Splinter Cell. Also, the graphics are really nice & fluid with no dip in performance with everything maxed at 1920*1200 res.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Impossible, hardware itself is supported as of the latest driver although as of any driver more recent than 8.09.04 or what it's name is (8.06.xx or 8.08.xx recommended as some titles don't recognize the PPU properly with 8.09 such as Mirrors Edge.) the PPU won't work on it's own or when used with a ATI card.
    (Similar to the recent hardware thread on how any NVIDIA driver more recent than 186.xx something won't allow a ATI/NVIDIA card combination with the NVIDIA card handling PhysX.)

I've been trying to mess around a bit with it (Using the 2.8.1 / 2.8.0 AGEIA folders from 8.06 will work with the latest PhysX version and a PPU albiet not when a game requires newer PhysX libraries like just Batman does.) from but short of stealing the main AGEIA/PhysX SDK and recompiling it there's not much that can be done. :D

Then again it's quite old now and getting a bit slow due to technical limitations though it does keep up quite well if you have a decent CPU and GPU it can offload to.
    (That said Cryostasis, Sacred 2 and other recent titles really push it to it's limits and cuts down performance quite a bit, albeit for NVIDIA you either need a very good single GPU or two cards in a non-sli configuration to offload to due to how demanding certain calculations are for CUD, the shaders and GPU or how it's handled.)

EDIT: And forcing AA has been confirmed to work just fine with a UT3.exe rename trick.
    (Albeit for LIVE you can't really do this so a driver profile will be needed, should come in the next Catalyst or the one after that I guess.)

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    AA in the game works for me out of the box(did i used it correctly ?:D)

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    See the screens I and another user posted of the launcher, AA is NVIDIA exclusive so it works quite fine for you and others with such hardware but not for ATI cards (For some reason I don't understand, it's not like AA with deferred shading - which UE3 uses - is a problem for either company anymore as of the 8xxx serie for NVIDIA and the 2xxx serie from ATI albeit DX10 seems to be needed if you want to do it properly similar to Gears of War and Stalker Clear Sky, somewhat unsure on the technical stuff behind it, shader related probably.) and enabling it via INI alteration will give a small warning prompt after which it'll disable itself and the game will exit. :)

EDIT: Though forcing AA works (At perhaps a somewhat higher performance hit.) when the game or rather the ATI CCC software and drivers are made to use the UT3 profile (Or similar, ATI has support for a range of UT3 titles that support forcing AA, unsure which games but Mass Effect, Bioshock and UT3 are confirmed to work.)

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol man i posted wıthout readın ın detail. Fail for me lol :p