Bank to open an Account with?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I didn't make a single opinion about you? I asked why you didn't have an account not a job. I still don't understand how you got to 22 without a bank account.

As for the "Get your kids a car fund" Why does everyone expect things now a days?

2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I just started one for my daughter. I expect her to pay half of it off, my half will be a gift because (at least the first 10 years) she's been an incredibly good kid. I don't want to have to drive her around when she's a teenager, and most 16-17 year olds will buy what they can afford. I'd rather start her out in something safe and dependable, rather than a cheapo used car like I had.

If she turns a 180 and becomes an idiot, I'll have a nice vacation fund :)

3. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    As has already been mentioned a credit union usually has the best offerings. Free checking, debit cards, ATM access and automated bill payments (even to other businesses.) Great loan rates and easy to apply for a get. This is what my bank offers as just some of the benefits.

What sold me to recommend the one I use to all my friends and family was one early wintery morning I had to go to an ATM to deposit some money. I get to a close drivethrough ATM and my window wouldn't go down because it was frozen shut. I pull forward a bit and squeeze out of my door. I was looking sharply down onto the ATM screen and options and accidentally choose to withdrawl $200 instead of depositing that amount. Since the ATM wasn't my bank they charged $2.50 for the withdrawl. I then had to do two deposits.

So I was out $2.50 for a silly mistake. Oh well, it sucked. Well a couple weeks later I noticed a $2.50 credit sent to my savings account. I clicked on the details and it mentioned the deposit charge and being credited back. The thing is it was the drivethrough ATM bank that charged me for the withdrawl, and my bank gave me the money back - it wasn't even them who charged me. This is what completely sold me on my credit union. But everything else about them is just great and that'll be similar to most other credit unions too as far as I understand it.

4. Crucible

Crucible Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    I have my business accounts through BOA. Never had an issue. I do have my personal through a smaller local one.

5. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    I joined US bank because you get a free $50 when you put $1000 in your main account automatically and I think every year you maintain you get another $50.

That is a hell of a lot more than I make on interest so it was worth it...

However, they do have a lot of "terms" and stuff you can get screwed on, you just have to pay attention. I usually keep $300-$400 in my checking so I don't overdraft and I only have to put money in once or twice a month.

6. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I moved from Citi to a local Credit Union. Much better interest rates and fairer fees.

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    So to wrap it up:

Best choice is go with a credit union.

Personally if a credit union isn't a choice (be it for any reason), I still stand by my recommendation of choosing TD Bank if you want to go with a traditional banking institute.

deltatux

8. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I void using big banks.

Small local banks do a fine job, and they're not involved in any of the shady sub prime crap.

Personally, I think everyone should cash-out from the big banks and move their business to local small banks... let the big ones go to hell.

-scheherazade

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Agree.

@mkilbride, search "credit union service center" These are the credit unions that allow you to use member credit unions as if they were your own.

10. Conan

Conan Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6870 1G
    scheherazade is right
    Don't use big Banks. Citigroup, BOA and Wells Fargo are the biggest *******s.And if you join them you're automatically become one of them, i.e ******* (just kidding) or

Use credit union or small local state banks.