Bandwidth issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ragingun, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    Have question in regards to the debate between the 192 bus on the Nvidia cards vs. the 384 bus on the AMD cards.

It's been stated on this site that the bus of the Nvidia cards will hinder the card in the future when there are games that need to take advantage of that. It's been said on the opposite side of the fence that the AMD cards are prepared for future games because of the higher bus capacity.

My question comes in here. There are games out there that max the potential of both these cards and in the case of the 660Ti and 7950 card, the performance is next to identical. So, in regards to this future bottle neck issue for the Nvidia card, how are future games going to hurt the performance if the games now already fully take advantage of the card? And how are future games going to be able to take advantage of the 384 bus width on the AMD cards since they are also already at maximum capabilities with games we see now?

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i believe you buy a GPU for now the future has to many unknowns i believe the 7950 and the 660ti will fare the same the problem will not be bus speed but games will require faster GPU.s

3. Schwarz621

Schwarz621 Member

GPU:
    4GB
    I appreciate with you lol cause it's not a bad idea at all.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I pondered this issue when I chose my 660ti. At 1920x1080 or less, the 192 bit bus is virtually a non-issue. At higher res and with high AA it may become an issue (or not, depending on game). But even at higher res (2560 and above) it still beats the gtx 580 with its 384-bit bus and is close to the 7950.

Furthermore, future-proofing, in the world of graphics cards, is a bit of a joke. With Nvidia at least, they have a record of releasing bus-restricted cards that almost always beats last gens full bus width cards. So whats the future if not more than a year (typical GPU release cycles)?