Baldur's Gate III

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SpajdrEX, May 30, 2019.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Exactly. Its a big game from a big studio that does not need EA.

People are paying for the privilege to QA for them.

Its genius from a business point.

GSDragoon likes this.
  2. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    i really don't care about the price because it's 70+gigs when done. Should be tremendously repayable too.

3. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    This combat system is why I couldn't play the last Divinity games other than maybe 1 hours or so. I just can't stand the turn based system, it seems to make thing so long. I really liked the spacebar pause system that was a compromise and worked really well in previous games. Pretty sure even Larian's games had it at first. I guess I'll just have to get used to it as this is D&D and BG, and I'm way too attached to it since it essentially got me into RPGs. Good times.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Anyone playing the E.A for BG3? This is one of my most anticipated games, but I never bought the E.A as the class selection was limited and I really like the Paladin class.

Now that the Paladin class should finally be available with the December update, I'm now seriously considering getting in on the E.A so I can a headstart on mastering the game mechanics and rules.

It's been over 2 years since anyone posted in this thread, so I'm sure the game has changed a lot in that time. :cool:

5. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    There's a new short trailer with Minsc and Boo:

On thursday there will be more content revealed. :)

6. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    TGA 2022 Trailer:

Stunning. Just seeing the city of BG reproduced in 3D was enough. :D

Carfax likes this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Damn, beat me to it! This game is going to be the King of RPGs!

Baldur's Gate looks amazing! No wonder why the storage requirements went up to 150GB! :eek:

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Damn that it's still so far off with August 2023 EA leave... looks amazing though!

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Bought the EA, installing now. With this latest update, Paladin class is finally available and the level cap has been increased up to level 5! :D

There has to be someone else on this forum that has gotten the EA o_O

10. Godzilla

Godzilla Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 6600
    this is what good development looks like

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    the only turn-based game i could play for many hours are the old Heroes of might and magic games ( 2 + 3 mostly ).

Baldurs Gate was always a missed opportunity for me.. never played the games and i know im missing a great experience.
    i just can't seem to enjoy the combat system.. it's a different RPG style for me.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This game is so good, even if it's just in EA. Really brings back some memories of my playthroughs with the original BG and BG2 games plus their expansion packs. This is the first proper turn based game I've ever played, but the original Baldur's Gate was my first real PC gaming experience back in the day even though it wasn't fully turned based. There are pros and cons to both turn based and real time with pause. The former is more consistent with the D&D ruleset, while the latter is much quicker.

That said, the exploration and how the World is fleshed out with lore and excellently written characters and dialogue makes this an RPG experience like no other. Visually it looks beautiful as well, especially with HDR on. For some reason though, HDR only works with DX11 and not with Vulkan for some reason.

Audio effects are incredible as well! The EA alone will keep me occupied for a few months LOL as it's quite large. Can only imagine how much bigger and better the final release will be.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Are you referring to the original games or to Baldur's Gate 3?

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    BG was real-time. Turn-based combat had to be explicitly enabled, and even then, it was half-assed because all it did was pause combat. It wasn't really turn-based.

15. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i don't see a big difference, from what iv seen it's still a strategic\turn-based\slow-paced combat.

i never played it ( both new and older games ) so i might be wrong here. it's based on online\videos iv seen so far from the game.

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    New update dropped today, they added a new class ( again ... ) and raised level cap to 5.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm playing the crap out of this game! This game is awesome in every respect; gameplay, storyline, characters, world building, and even graphics despite being primarily isometric.

Even in E.A it's still huge and takes some investment. According to Steam, I've logged 36 hours of game time and I still have a long ways to go before I finish everything in the E.A. Also I've never played a D&D game in my life except for on PC and this is the first game I've played which uses the 5e rules. A lot of things were confusing at first but I've learned a lot and I think I've got a good grasp on it now.

Game can be extremely challenging at times however, which is great. I can see someone that has never played a D&D CRPG really struggling though as I said, you have to have some understanding of the rules, spells, items etcetera.

Being turn based makes it extremely strategic, which benefits the game in terms of gameplay and adherence to D&D 5e, but it definitely slows down the game. If I've logged close to 40 hours so far in the E A, I can see myself hitting 200 hours or more in the final release.

Technically speaking, the game also excels. Currently playing at native 4K maxed settings with DLAA using Vulkan and it's locked at 120FPS. Uses a lot of RAM, which makes sense due to how much stuff has to be loaded like dialogues, animations, scripts and what not. Stability has been pretty good for the most part with few crashes considering it's in E.A.

If you like D&D and CRPGs, then this game will surely scratch the itch :)

Repo Man likes this.
  18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Finally got to level 5 and saw a huge boost in power for my main character and the other party members. Spell casters get access to level 3 spells, and martial characters get an extra attack per round. Due to the power increase, I have been steamrolling all encounters now and just assassinated all of the goblin camp leaders.....and I haven't even gotten to the Underdark yet. This game is ridiculously fun and detailed. It's the best D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms since the original BG series and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes game of the year this year. The amount of content this game has is staggering! So many secrets to find, and exploration really pays off :D

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Yep, agreed. Too bad you can't level anymore, eh? :D there are two types of mods, which also adds higher level spells and regular level ups (up to level 20 if you want), played my 2nd EA playthrough a little with the mod, but imho it's not balanced so the fights are extremely easy boring.

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah I was going to say, that the fights are now much easier at level 5 compared to previous levels. Increasing levels even more would make the game extremely unbalanced, unless the developer themselves expand the E.A again with new areas to explore and higher level encounters.