Bad System setup? 6800GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SandSukka, Dec 20, 2004.

1. SandSukka

SandSukka Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC 256MB
    Hi, i'm running a XP-M 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+ with a gig of ram and a BFG 6800GT OC. I thought this would be an awesome rig, but lately i've been dissapointed. In HL2, i got below 40 fps constantly. In World of Warcraft i get avg of 35 fps dipping down to the teens in some areas. All these on 1600x1200 with maxed out settings. Could my cpu be limiting my performance? I've heard of it being the bottleneck , but not that bad. I'm using the latest drivers from Nvidia. Whats the deal? Any insight?

2. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Most likely your processor/speed of RAM/FSB are the bottleneck. What speed is your ram running?

I run HL2 on my rig at 16x12 4xAA 8xAF everything maxed and get 40+ all the time. What drivers are you using I currently am enjoying the 66.81's but you may want to try the 70 series for increased performance.

You may want to check your fastwrites try disabling it in the BIOS. There are several factors that can account for your problems. BTW what are your AQ3, 3DM05/03 scores?

PS Welcome to the forums, are you in CS,TX? If so we are neighbors I live in Bryan.

3. SandSukka

SandSukka Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC 256MB
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes i'm in Aggieland. That's awesome that you live in Bryan. Do you go to school at A&M?

I've got PC2700 ram and I believe i'm running it at 400 mhz. I havn't messed with latency much, just the speed settings(turbo, fast, etc). Oh and for HL2 the performance i refered to was without AA. That makes this even worse. I'm also running the 66.93 drivers for my 6800GT(i never saw a difference from the previous ones). Oh and my card is not overclocked currently. It comes overclocked slightly from the factory. I just don't know how my cpu can be that much of a bottleneck, but I guess anything is possible. As far as 3dmark scores, i can't recall as i'm at work right now. I'll have to check.

4. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    I am done with schooling (well not really ever done, I learn everyday ;) ) I work for a local sign company, doing IT, managemant of personell, design work, purchasing etc...

Well I just OC slightly on mine 400/1113 simply b/c I have good case cooling and I am not too worried about it.

When changing drivers do you use a driver cleaning progie?
    Try the fastwrites and driver cleaning first also make sure you do not have extra programs running in the background. Also you may want to pick up Rivatunner and tweak your settings to see what works best for you.

BTW it is pretty much the concensus(sp?) that the 6800GT and up are pretty CPU limited, more so if you do not pair it with a Athlon64/P4 3.5Ghz or higher. It is like the GFX card is waiting on the CPU.

You may want to check your AF setting and make sure you have not disabled any optimizations in the Control panel for the drivers.

5. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I'm no expert but your FPS seem about right at those resolutions. The AMD 2500 is a good processor especially at 3200 speeds however it is a tad under powered to 'feed' the new GPU's on the market. Try running your games a 1280 x 1024 and see what happens. Also you stated you are running a -M version of the processor does this mean mobile? If so look in your BIOS or O/S and make sure it isn't throttling down to save power or something.

6. JeffP

JeffP Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT 450/1.20
    This is really hurting you too.

"DDR 512MB PC2700"

One it's really slow memory and two there's not enough of it. Also verify the card is running in AGP mode in Windows and not in PCI mode. That can be a serious performance killer.

7. Aidan777

Aidan777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Yeh i agree with JeffP, I have the same ram as you and i get pretty bad performance in some of my games because my ram isnt that good. I would say its the RAM and CPU thats bottlenecking your 6800GT and yeh you would need a better processing chip and more RAM to get that 6800GT really pumping.

Apart from that i would just lower the resolution and try out a few more drivers. There have to be 1 pair that work well with your 6800GT even if you do have a bit of bottlenecking. Oh and maybe you could re-install your OS again and see if that helps out a bit. Its optional but i wouldnt do it:p

Good luck!

-Aidan777

8. SandSukka

SandSukka Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC 256MB
    Ooops, I have a Gig of PC2700 , not 512 :) haha. Will that make a difference? And also, would overlclocking my cpu help any or is it just the technology of the XP thats holding me back?

Yes i'm running the XP mobile chip.

*EDIT* How would disabling fast write in bios improve performance

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  9. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    OC'n wise if you go too far it can cause problems stability wise, but your CPU should have no problems at that speed. It could just be your system config, or MB

Fastwrites *could* cause performance issues on some systems, it is pretty system specific as there is no difference on my system enabled or disabled.

What version of Nforce dirvers are you using, I currently am using the 4.27's as the 5.10's have issues on my board. It could be several issues with MB/system Config. Post some 3dMark scores and AQ3 scores so we can have a better understanding of what the problem may be. It could be that your config will just not perform quite as well as similar systems.