Bad RAM - Need help, please!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SeCALPHA1, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    So yeah, I should've listened to reviews.. OCZ reaper is crap ram. I've tested and confirmed. Single stick is running my rig ok, at least until it crashes again.

I'm replacing both sticks but I wanted some info or input on my mobo and ram compatibility.

I was thinking of just getting a DDR3 1600 triple channel kit and having the third stick tested and [if good] keeping it as spare or selling it or giving it to a friend but what I wanted to know is:

1) 790FX board says 1600 is OC only.. though, would it do it automatically? I can't find that answer anywhere. It seems this board is so flexible that it usually just auto-compensates itself for whatever is plugged in (i.e. OCZ reaper 1333 ram @ 7.7.7.24t) If not, how do I OC RAM for it [the motherboard] to work with 1600 RAM? I assume upping voltages and tweaking timings.. specifics would be nice, though!

2) wtfh is the difference between 10660 and 10600? If I can't/don't want to bother with 1600 I was just gona go for 1333 RAM but there are two variations of DDR3 1333 RAM being PC-10660 and PC-10600; ... ?que¿

Otherwise, about the OC'ing RAM question, I was specifically interested in getting the Corsair "Dominator" 6GB (x3 2GB) DDR3 1600 [PC3 12800] kit..

Compatibility issues with my mobo? wtfh with 10660/600 and how to overclock?

Help is always very much appreciated!!

thanks

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  3. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    Do you recommend this other RAM for my motherboard in particular? Or "instead of?"

I'd rather use 1600 OC ram for performance purposes considering I'm going to over clock both my card(s) and CPU in the near future.

I've never been even partial to patriot ram, either. I think I've got my eye on, now, some 4GB Crucial Ballistix ;)

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    +1 Patriot :D
    Patriot rocks. They have the heaviest/solid heatsinks that are always cool to the touch. Not the thin aluminum stuff like other companies.