Bad memory?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Titan29, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Just noticed this morning that windows was showing 30GB RAM instead of the usual 32GB in system information/task manager. I went to BIOS and noticed memory SPD information showing 'Abnormal' for slot A1 (and 'OK' for the rest).

I swapped the RAM sticks in A1 and A2 slots and this time A2 was showing 'Abnormal' (while A1 was 'OK'). So looks like one of the memory sticks might have gone bad.

I ran Win7 memory diagnostic tool and it did not return any errors (one pass only at the moment). I was using XMP profile for the memory but changing back to default (Auto) did not make any difference.

The most recent change to the system was BIOS update a few days ago. I do not know if that indeed caused this issue since I did not check or notice the memory at that time. Could it also be the board going bad?

2. Saundie

Saundie New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti
    Were you able to determine the cause of the problem, Titan29? My P9X79 Pro has started doing exactly the same thing, and the diagnostic tool is also reporting no problems. I was getting BSOD in Windows 8 when trying to start BF2, but no such problems in Win7, which is odd. It would be good to know if you got to the bottom of it.

3. wilkinsmr

wilkinsmr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    ASUS P9X79 Pro showing only 30Gb memory

I have the same problem on a very similar setup. I'm running memtest, but I don't think the diags are going to find anything if the BIOS has disabled this block of RAM.

Have you tried replacing it yet? I'm assuming its defective memory rather than a mobo peculiarity...

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC

5. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Onboard

+1 to a stick of ram that has gone bad.
    +1 to the fact that if the mobo has disabled it, memtest isn't going to find a problem because it's not actually seeing one.

get in contact the the ram manufacturer.