Bad FPS in ALL games on HD4870 PCS+ 1GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ragequit, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Ragequit

Ragequit Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870PCS+ 1GB
    When I first installed the HD4870 it ran like a dream, perfect on 8.11. When I installed Catalyst 8.12 my FPS dropped drastically in every game. The Witcher and Sins Of A Solar Empire worst of all. In COD4 distance rendering causes massive lag. Reverting to older drivers (after cleaning with Driver Sweeper) did nothing ... im stuck here with a near brick which is outperformed my my old 9600GT.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Im trying to prevent having to reinstall Vista :bang:

2. the_4ork

the_4ork Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    try the modded drivers?

3. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    try reinstalling 8.12's with out driver sweeper. i have read where it can cause problems in vista. not sure if they were user or vista errors, but try it anyway. just run the regular ATI uninstall then install 8.12's again.

if that doesn't work try the vista hot fix drivers.

4. Ragequit

Ragequit Member

GPU:
    Ok so I had a mate over, who also has a HD4870. A Sapphire stock model.

Trying my HD4870 in his PC on cat 8.12 ... it ran awesome. We got an average 43 FPS in Crysis @ 1920/1080 MAXED with 8x AA. Really excellent performance, but not in my PC.

I think it may be something to do with my motherboard or some other piece of my setup. I reinstalled vista and still get poor performance on any drivers over 8.6!

My mates motherboard is an ASUS Striker 2 Formula with an E8500 and 4 GIG ram. I'm just wondering whether my motherboard would cause me worse performance than a 9600GT.

Any help or suggestions appreciated

@ the_4ork , I may try the modified drivers. Thanks

@ GeoD , I tried the 8.12s without driver sweeper (when I reinstalled vista) and still received the same bad performance. I have yet to try the hotfix drivers without Driver Sweeper.

Thanks all.

5. tukm

tukm Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB
    vista 64bit?

6. Ragequit

Ragequit Member

GPU:
    Yep, Vista x64 .. :frown:

My mate was also running 64 bit Vista Ultimate. So that may not be the problem.