Bad Company 2: i5 or Phenom II X4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Burnt_Ram, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i need to biuld a new rig for BC2, and need some help. been away from amd for quite some time. so i need to know which cpu is better for BC2?

i plan to oc, so keep that in mind please ...

2. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Either cpu would be fine but overall the i5 gets my vote.

But your current rig should play the game fine. You having issues with your current hardware?

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    They are pretty much the same... quad core.

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well comes down to price I think.

Good Am3 board costs less then good P55 board.
    Phenom II X4 965 BE costs less then i5 750

Both cpus OC to 4 ghz

750 is stronger clock by clock
    965 is cheaper and with am3 board you can get the new hexa cores from amd wich seem to be good

Equal single GFX gaming performance
    750 will do better with xfire and sli systems due to a more powerful architecture if you compare mhz vs mhz.

Not an easy choice really, but if you are really only gaming, watching the odd movie and maybe do some frapsing and editing for games then I would prolly pick the 965 BB oc to 4 ghz and be happy with that.

If you get more money in the future to spend on the comp parts you could get an AMD hexa core and go sli xfire etc to compensate for a probably too weak 965 BB running say SLI 470 GTXs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i'll say only this; a 4ghz phenom II is slower than a q9x50 at 3.5ghz..

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    personally i would go for the Phenom, 4ghz is slower than 3.5 i5 but the clock per second are quicker, so the phenom will make up for the loss of mhz with increased efficiency.

go for the phenom. :pc1:

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    =/ are you sure?

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yep.

i saw someone here with a 4ghz, dunno which game anymore, but if i compare that to mine it was like 10-15% slower..

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    It most certainly does not but yeh i5 has a better IPC, gets my vote

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    In the gaming department a phenom II isnt far off an i5, its in other aplications that the i5 is better, phenom gets my vote just because its better for the price.

11. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah ur right, only the 860 and upwards have HT.

But still better IPC and architecure makes for a more powerful cpu clock by clock.

With that said the phenom 965 BE @ 4 ghz is not far behind in games when it comes to single gpus. Truth is you don't need an I7 if your not going for multiple expensive gpus and or doing alot of media work.

Still not many games that benefit heavily from multiple cores, and even fewer games that benefit from both a more powerful IPC and multiple cores -> not many frames to be gained from a single gpu in this enviroment when cpu overhead is taken out as beneficial factor.

Example beeing crysis and farcry2 that dont benefit from multiple cores or benefit from a more powerful architecture making the clock by clock "stronger" on an i7 965 then a E8600 at same freq.

DAO is another example where it benefits from multiple cores but not the architectual speed increase clock by clock in comparision to a Q9650 at same freq.

GTA4 is an example where the game seem to benefit from cores and the architectual benefits from an i7 vs an Q9650 at same fps.

Hope this made any sense :) Cooking so running up n down ~

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Well imo i5 eats Phenom in every case. Or allmost everycase.

It eats it in games for what matters.

2.0 GHZ i5 = 3.6Ghz Phenom II X4.

[​IMG]

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    The benches I seen don't support this claim.

The Phenom 965 BE at 4 ghz hangs with the 940, 860, 750 and is almost identical to the 920 from what I seen on anandtech.

Obviously for media work the i5 and i7 are superior to any other cpu, but when it comes to gaming it isn't for a single gpu setup where the CPU overhead will not come into play.

If money ain't an issue then I would pick i5 750 aswell together with a nice mobo and some decent ram, 1333 with super tight timings.

But if money is somewhat restricted you will get almost equal performance on a single gpu platform using a 965 BE on an Am3 mobo, and you will have the option to upgrade to a hexa AMD core in the future if you need it - you can't do that with P55.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    i5 for sure, better overclocking, ( higher clocks at stock volts too ) I wouldn't even consider the 965 for the minuscule price difference, some benches show the i5 absolutely annihilating the 965...

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    THey bars speak for them selfs , in most cases Phenom gets annihilated , this is when you have huge CPU bottleneck.

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I guess he can shop from newegg beeing canadian, 180 vs 190 dollars, yah very small pricediffrence there, larger in europe.

If mobos are that close in price aswell am3 vs p55 then the price argument is out the window.

But fact remains on Am3 you can get X6 on p55 you cannot get 6 cores. And the diffrence between 750 and 965 in gaming is not large at all, synthetic benchmarks ain't gaming afterall :)

17. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    My i5 clocked at 4GHz does very well in Bad Company 2 so it gets my vote.

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  19. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    In the guru3d review of the phenom 955, it beats the i7 920 in every gaming benchmark, and isnt far off a an I7 965 when overclocked, thats enough for me.

The i5/7's will win in most other situations, but the price isnt justified i dont think, i got a 955 BE for £110 which is serious bang for buck

20. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce