Bad BIOS Checksum

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by mkw87, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mkw87

mkw87 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7600GT @ 645:1750 - 1.38v
    Hardware:
    Asus A8V mobo that had latest BIOS
    AMD 3700
    Corsair Value Select Ram 2x512

I was running stable trying to overclock the machine, it was fine at 250x11, and then I pushed higher and it was fine until I hit 260x11, at which point windows did not load, so I rebooted and then I could not enter my BIOS, I would press Delete and it would go to a black screen with white letters in the middle that said:

Waiting...

So I pulled out the BIOS CD, tried updating the BIOS, it installed then rebooted and now the first thing that pops up is Bad BIOS Checksum, checking for floppy...checking for cd-rom...

I have tried installing the latest BIOS, and the same thing happens, it reads the CD-rom, says erasing, start programming, then it says Power off then back on to regain your system.

I have tried CMOS flashing multiple times, and the same thing happens, anyone have any idea how to fix this??

2. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    did you clear the cmos after you reflashed the bios?
    What happens if you hold down the insert key while you power up the system

3. mkw87

mkw87 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7600GT @ 645:1750 - 1.38v
    Yes, I've done several CMOS clears, tried loading different BIOS, tried different ram, different slots, etc, nothing yet, same thing always:

It loads DIRECTLY to the Bad BIOS Checksum screen everytime then searches fora disc.

One thing I am going to go try now is to put the BIOS on a floppy, not a CD, because one forum I read said it HAD to be on a floppy though I don't buy it I've tried everything that 5 hours of google searching has had me try and no avail, I'm afraid I'll have to RMA the damn thing :( but I'm hoping not.

FIXED IT!!

You ABSOLUTELY have to use a floppy disc to do the flash....My fiance's laptop only had a cd-rw, so I finally drove in to work, used the comp for like 5 seconds to make a floppy with the .ROM BIOS file, reflashed, and bang it booted.

Pheww....I really thought I was going to have to send the board back after all the reading I had done.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  4. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    Don't overclock that board too much past what you have........I still have one of those..........they just won't do it........

5. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    This is why it is much better to use a windows overclock program like clockgen to at the very least figure out the limits.

Just hit reset and your ready to try it again.