Backing up settings?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by ATOJAR, Jun 17, 2021.

1. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Hi all, just a quick one from me.

I'm upgrading some computer parts including the motherboard so will be needing to format my system, my wife uses the computer and Photoshop CS6 for work daily, now its been a long time since i have formatted and my wife has photoshop set exactly how she likes it so i am wanting to back up and restore Photoshop as close to possible as it was before i formatted(identical if possible).

Am i right in thinking that if i make a backup of the 19GB Adobe folder located in C:\Users\My-name\AppData\Roaming then restore this folder back to this location after format it will restore all settings?

Or is there another smaller folder i could backup that would have the same effect?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yes from what I understand Adobe Photoshop setting are located at the location you specified, I use Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 and the settings are at that location.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 in my case

The folder named "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings" and that contains all the user settings... guessing yours will be something like Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings

To save a bit of space when backing everything up you could use 7-Zip?

https://www.7-zip.org/

Install 7-Zip > after it's installed, right click the folder you want to backup / compress, 7-Zip should show and then click "Add to archive", here you have some options for how you want to compress the folder.

Click the far right square with the three dotted lines that I have drawn a little red arrow next to in the image below, then select where you want to save the backup, so as an example select desktop and then at the lower right click open.

Then in the list of settings look for "Compression level", and select Ultra, this will make it compress the folder as small as it can... then once you want it to compress it click [OK] at the middle bottom of the page.

To restore the files once formatted with a new OS you will obviously need to install 7-zip again, then double click the folder you created with 7-zip and at the top of the page select Extract To, then select the same location the folder originated, or just select desktop and then move the files manually.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Hey! ... Thanks for the reply.

The folder i have located here > C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings is actually under 50MB.

So if i make a backup of the "Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings" folder and restore it after format this will restore all settings back to how they where?

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am not 100% sure, there are some other things like presets stored there as well... which are user created, things like custom brushes... I have none so my presets folder is no size.

What other folders are there with the Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings folder that is 19GB?

5. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Well the folder located at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe is 19GB contains the following folders.

https://imgur.com/gHu70X8

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    To be safe just backup the whole Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder.

Sorry I can't provide any more help.. I wish I knew more about this I've always just started from scratch with photoshop when reinstalling windows.

7. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Yeah i think that's the safer option, anyway i used 7-Zip to compress the folder down to 11GB and saved it to my storage drive, thanks for the recommendation and your help. :D

KissSh0t likes this.