Backing up data.How often you do back-ups?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Oct 21, 2012.

?

How often you do back-ups?

1. Meh,in case of disaster,i will recover it.

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. I did a backup once,my data is safe!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. I do regular backups

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  4. My data is backed up daily,both cloud and personal storage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    All gurus here know how important is a back up of your data.
    The thing is that procrastination crawls in,so we tend to forget to back up.
    So,how often do you bother to copy your data to a safe location/external hdd/cloud?
    I have my important data backed up on 6 different hdds,and some real important documents in the cloud.

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I don't have anything worth backing up. I don't particularly care if my Borderlands 2 save file gets lost... etc. Though, even that kind of thing would be backed up on Steam's cloud servers automatically.

All I have on my computer are legally bought games (whether on Steam or installed from a disk) and a web browser. I don't store petabytes of pirated material like most people, and I'm too young to have any important documents.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I back up to the cloud every to 2 weeks. I use a service called Carbonite and for $99/year, it's been money well spent. I also keep hard copies of my backups as well, just in case something happens.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well,the more sensitive data,like pictures from your wedding,or something alike,baby's first year...the data i am asked to recover daily at work.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    lol you said it all

in my case, meh, i trust in my hdds, one dedicated for OS and main files, another for installed games/apps and the 3rd for storing the installations and documents/pics/movies/games etc

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

Yeah. I think it will have a lot to do with age, as like I said, I'm too young for any of this stuff. Not married, no kids, etc.

Also, do you think that Facebook could count as a photo/video backup site?

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    I usually back up once a month , to a HDD and also i make a repair disk once a month , back up in cloud too. I have to do this because im running a Raid0 array wich tends to be fragile and corrupt easily with a bsod if it happens , better safe than sorry. I keep family pictures of my kids and wife and personal documents in my 24/7 set up all the time , hence enough reason to make monthly back up.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I back up my c drive once a week on two seperate drives once a week. I used to like reinstalling windows a couple times a year. cant be arsed into it anymore. My install is just the way I like it, and would take up too much time configuring, reinstalling windows etc.

9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    The only thing I bother to keep updated is the pictures backup onto external HD, other backups done sometimes. I do have some system images if everything blows up but time for a new laptop is coming so it isn't too important anymore. The greatest problem is to move the system settings and programs but done it a couple of times with PCmover.

10. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    Realtime backup to LiveDrive, weekly Synctoy to my local server...

Not lost anything since before 2000.... and I plan to keep that record!

11. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I backup my music and the my documents folder every few months or so (so I do it regularly but not super often). Not enough changes happen for me to justify doing anything more frequent than every few months.

Everything that I backup is kept in music, videos, and my documents....But the pictures are really what I care about. I had some really, funny pictures of my brother and I from a trip I made to visit him over Thanksgiving about 7 or 8 years ago and lost them due to a careless reinstall of XP some time ago. I was very disappointed by that and started doing a fairly regular backup. I also lost quite a bit of schoolwork that I wanted to keep to see how poorly or well done I thought it was coming back to it years later.

I have a 2tb external, 3 500gb internals, and my OS drive which is a 128SSD (128gb is not big enough, for those of you who are planning on purchasing an SSD, BF3, DayZ, and Black Mesa take up most of the space, I barely have enough room for my photos---actually had to move photos onto another drive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I backup my OS drive weekly or monthly, depending how much has changed.

Other data like photos is backed up onto multiple old drives that are no longer in use.

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    after the catastrophic loss in 2002, I've maintained a routine backup and spent over $100 in maintaining a backup. I just bought a new 3TB external drive and am in the middle of evaluating it to see if there are failures before I delete the data off my old backup drive.

deltatux

14. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Never done backup, all of my important data is not really that important.
    Everything i have on PC is ripped from CD/DVD/BR just to make it easy accessible anytime i want, pretty much all my photos are printed and stacked in albums and boxes.
    Can't be bothered backing up anything.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The real important stuff doesn't change often so probably once a month. Only things that matter are music collection, videos, pictures, Eclipse projects, my user folder (documents, saves...) and Fraps screenshots & videos. I could easily restore my whole Steam installation from my back up in case my raid array goes bust.

But I do keep always at least somewhat resent image backup from my Windows installation available.

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    2 servers take care of that for me luckily its on site unless the place gets destroyed then well hmm

17. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    really, i'm the only one?

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, everything else is a figment of your imagination.

19. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    I have no schedule by which I backup anything. Its pretty much when I realize, "oh sh!t, its been 5 months since I've backed up anything". Then I do it :)

20. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This, I'm like a data nomad. A few minor documents and WoW folder to save redownloading it after a format. All important pics are on the phones SD. Makes it very painless to up sticks and reinstall windows :infinity: