Backblaze Published Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As of March 31, 2019, Backblaze had 106,238 spinning hard drives in our cloud storage ecosystem spread across three data centers. Of that number, there were 1,913 boot drives and 104,325 data drives. ...

Backblaze Published Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2019

Fox2232 likes this.
  2. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    I really like these statistics and they give a really great insight into HDD longevity and durability..

'but' (and it is a little one in the grand scheme of things) to the common 'home' user that turns their computer on daily or 3 times a week.. what I would like to know is which HDD's handle prolonged 'hot and cold cycles' the best.

If I bought 2 HGST and put them in basic software mirror and only turned my 'home' PC on sporadically, how long could I realistically trust them not to lose my family photo/video collection?

Perhaps they could arrange something when they next decommission some of the superior drives, stick them on a HDD shelf that powers up occasionally, writes a few GB and powers off.. and see if useful life drops off a cliff or they really are bullet proof.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    to be honest their data is not much helpful, because most all their drive is enterprise-drive... not consumer drive

and not sure if there relation to data-center workload that not intended for the drive, the consumer drive they using on their datacenter (WDC Red WD60EFRX) got high failure rate at 3.8%

now just check what ur HGST model, if u using same model like theirs, most pc shop dont sell enterprise drive often

if u want to fail-proof ur data, replace drive that out of warranty (2-3years) even there is no issue whatsover, so in average hours it around 26000hours
    reason : based google storage report, failure rate getting up after 3years, and manufacture warranty = test by the manufacture that the product should at-least working without problem within warranty period, even it can last much longer (or shorter) in reality

and also, by replacing the drive, if u keep the old-drive, means u have archive-drive, that incase there is castathropic-failure (raid failure etc.)... archive drive will be ur recovery point

if u want carefree, just rent for cloud-storage, u might paid more, but u dont need to worry about hdd failure

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    >to be honest their data is not much helpful, because most all their drive is enterprise-drive... not consumer drive

you wut?

backblaze is well known for using consumer drives rather than enterprise.

5. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    12TB drives are not consumer grade and that's what they are migrating to based on this report. Consumer grade are more like 2 and 3TB, maybe 4 at the most.

Manufacturer warranty periods are not determined by testing because the products are released before that much test data is acquired. They don't have three and four year product cycles. They are more like one year, maximum. The warranty periods are mostly extrapolations based on previous products and hopes that they can maintain those reliability levels even at higher densities.

6. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You know that the Seagate Drive are mix of Consumer/Enterprise grade drive
    DM are Consumer, DX and NM are Enterprise
    You don't see any WDC, HGST and Toshiba Consumer grade drive as it prove just how bad there are in real world test in fact WDC is all ready pulling it self of Backblaze

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Damn... those HGST drives still pulling ahead

Anyway what happened with Western Digital phasing out HGST brand? They came to their senses it seems...

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That maybe so but you also be pay out nose for them too for HGST brand and is also being phasing out under WDC Ultrastar line.
    Beware the 4tb that are being listed on internet they are now all used (Renewed) drive and no longer being made some are refurbished as for new one will set you back $230 and there only in consumer grade not enterprise model and be very beware of 3rd party seller.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    12TB are "consumer grade", you can find them everywhere.

I feel like you are mistaking "likely to be in a pre-built computer" and "consumer grade" definitions. As yes, pre-built computers generally have 1TB HDDs in them, MAYBE 2TB, and can usually be customized towards 4TB for the masses, but that is not the definition of "consumer grade"

Seagate has their Exos Enterprise HDDs and their Barracuda consumer-grade HDDs (when it comes to 8TB+ HDDs)

Barracudas go to 14TB

Now, i don't see any consumer-grade 12TB HDDs in this list, i will grant you that, but 12TB, by itself, is not a definition of "consumer grade" or "not consumer grade"

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    How are you defining as consumer grade? Because doing a quick newegg search, 10TB seems to be the point at which I would say drives aren't consumer-grade:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100167523 4814 601192404 600376738 601322010&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
    None of those drives really seems particularly consumer-friendly, because they either:
    * Use SAS instead of SATA
    * Marketed/built for things like surveillance, NAS, or enterprise. One of the key features of enterprise hardware is 24/7 reliability.
    * Are somewhat expensive for the average consumer to consider (especially once you get to 12TB)
    These drives are kinda the equivalent of Xeons or Quadros - the average consumer has access to them and can use them as though they were generic consumer-grade products without noticing, but that doesn't mean they're consumer-grade.

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Hgst Deskstar is consumer
    Hgst Ultrastar is enteprise

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I feel like that was already answered in the post your quoted.

I, you, anyone here does not define consumer grade.

The companies do.

Expensive does not define consumer grade either.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822172024&ignorebbr=1

That is a Barracuda, as stated above, in my previous post.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822184763

14TB version too.

Sure, you could say "but that's a Barracuda Pro". Ok, fine, do we want to say pro consumer rated then? Create a whole new listing?

[​IMG]

Barracuda and Barracuda Pro are the same, the only difference is seagate deciding to differentiate between their cheap, lower storage capacity drives and their more expensive, higher storage capacity drives.

This does not change that they are both still consumer grade.

https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/barracuda/

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  13. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ok lets check their listed hdd on the report

MG07ACA14TA : https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/jp/product/storage-products/enterprise-hdd/mg07acaxxx.html

HUH721212ALE600/HUH721212ALN604 =Ultrastar® DC HC520 : https://documents.westerndigital.co...c500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc520.pdf

The most HDD they using on (at 34,7k drive )
    ST12000NM0007 = Exos X12 12TB Standard Model 512e SATA : https://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/exos-drives/exos-x-drives/exos-x12/

ST10000NM0086 = Exos X10 10TB, 512e SATA Standard : https://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/exos-drives/exos-x-drives/exos-x10/

check the rest if there any consumer drive other than 6TB wdc RED

so where u get prove they using consumer drive more than enterprise drive ?

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    afaik backblaze never really using WDC
    rather than durability issue, most likely they getting better price with seagate and hitachi

back to 2015 report : https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/
    WDC failure rate 1.5% (=45drives) compared to 3.0% (=17,8k seagate drives)

so imo there nothing about real-world-test in context brand comparisson

15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    3TB where bad by both Seagate and WDC

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Most my data is on 4TB Seagate drives... monkaS.