Backblaze Outs 2020 Hard Drive Stats for HDDs - Reliability Increased

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Thank you for this. I'm looking for some reliable big drives for a NAS, this might be a good starting point.

3. Thomas J Begush

Thomas J Begush New Member

GPU:
    rx570
    awwwwww yesssssss. Love the data.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wow, the one drive you least want to fail @18TB has a 12.5% failure rate!
    10x worse than their other drives.
    Seagate ...

Airbud likes this.

5. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    These charts always irk me because they don't take into account variables that can drastically improve or degrade a drive's reliability. For awhile, Western Digital Green drives were known to have high failure rates, but that was only because the 'head parking' was so damn aggressive (eight seconds; essentially a useless feature since hard drives park their heads while idle anyways). With a bit of firmware tweaking, you can disable it and essentially turn it into the equivalent of a consumer-level Red drive.

This is also besides your typical statistical variances and deviations, ie. un-accountable spikes or dips due to small or un-uniform sample sizes. I'm sure there's SOME meaningful information that can be gleaned from this, but I feel majority of the information is a wash because there's so many damn un-accounted variables.

6. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Mo'e platters. mo'e problems.

7. Freak9

Freak9 New Member

GPU:
    8GB RTX 3070
    There's insufficient drive hours or count to draw any firm conclusions about overall reliability on that particular drive - 60 drives 2 failures.

Flashing a consumer drive to achieve reasonable reliability is imo an unreasonable expectation. It's impossible to account for all variables however thousands of drives installed in near identical pods, in a data center all running the same or similar software is about as close as we'll ever get outside of a lab.

The biggest consideration is that AFR typically will increase with drive age and some drives this will spike substantially after a certain age point. Bearing that in mind however you definitely can glean some useful information such as how amazingly reliable the old HGST 4TB models are even if they're an older drive.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    The higher percentages are on drives that their numbers are small , only 60 drives the percentages are just not reliable since luck is the key factor.
    Now looking at the data darn the old hgst drives are workhorses !

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Care to share what tool one can use to tweak hard drive firmware. Am I taking as a computer tech who sometimes has data recovery tasks to solve where firmware is at fault.

10. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i guess what most people look from the table is just the brand, which is more reliable overall

if u look at those models, u guys should know that those (if-not-all) are enterprise hdds
    those what listed are WD ultrastar, seagate EXOs, and toshiba enterprise ... none such wd red,black ironwolf,barracuda
    do u guys using those hdds ?

yes, probably enterprise and consumer not really that much different, especially in low-load enviroment probably there wont be big different, but in high-load+24/7 enviroment, in such case i think we can see the different

if people want try, just use WD blue and black, black will last 2x blue most of time...based personal experience black is like enterprise level reliability for end-user

11. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I take no responsibility for any individual's firmware tweaking shenanigans, but download and use Ultimate Boot Disk utility and use its WD Idle 3 utility to set the head parking delay/Intellipark (again, it's a redundant feature) to whatever you want, including fully disabling it. I would assume it's pretty straightforward from there, but in any case, you can Youtube specific instructions if you get lost.

I almost forgot to mention that Green drives formally don't exist anymore, and have been re-branded under the Blue label--essentially any of their 5400 RPM Blue drives are actually their old Green drives. Mind, this was years ago when I last checked--who knows what Western Digital has been doing since, but in any case, I've yet to have a Blue/Green drive fail on me.

anticupidon likes this.
  12. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    While I can't really argue with personal experience, the reason why Green/Blue failure rates are so high is, by default, their head parking/Intellipark is set to 8 seconds. Conversely, their consumer-level Red drives are inherently the same drive, but with Intellipark completely disabled--hard drives crave consistency, and nothing could be more inconsistent than having the head 'park' every 8 seconds.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'll second this.
    My machine runs 24/7 handling house security.
    Since I turned off power saving features on my hard drives about 7+ years ago I only had one problem and that was caused by a processor overheating, causing a copy to corrupt about 4 years ago. The drive has continued running fine since.
    Before that I used to have one or 2 drive failures a year, it was disheartening.
    But I've been moving over to helium drives and those that arent helium are HGST, so that will have a bearing.

Still, no drive failures in over 7 years now they are running 24/7 after my previous record is quite something.