Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2017 - HGST HDDs Very Reliable

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Backblaze has ballz with tens of thousands of seagates in their data centers.

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Of all the drives I've ever owned since I bought the very first one in 1989, the only drives that have failed on me were Maxtor and Seagate.

4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    In my experience WD has overall been the most reliable. Of course I became biased to them in the late 90s and early 00s when they were pretty much king of the market. But I've never had one fail on me. My still-running former main drive is a 500GB Black from 2009 with over 5 years of uptime and it's still totally error free!

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    ok so another thread bashing hdd manufacturers. YAY!!!!

(it will turn into one if it has not already. Trust me)

321Boom and schmidtbag like this.
  6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    notice they have 45 HGST HDD's compared to the rest it's not enough to say they're better than the rest

7. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    HGST = WD. Same company. HGST are not longer sold. Those are what was left in the market few years ago. So once again this confirms WD is the most reliable company. Seagate looks like trash according to this.

8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Wait, how does 45 + 2391 + 6032 + 14797 = 45? I'd say it's 23,265 drives... All of them sitting at below .5% failure rate.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    How do you explain 10, 12 and 14TB drives from HGST if they're no longer a company actively delivering products, then?

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not sure what some people do with their PC, but i never ever had a HDD fail on me.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's not what people do with their HDDs. If there is a high 10% failure rate, it still means that 90% of the people do not run into an issue short term. Apparently, you are amongst the lucky ones. A year or two ago I had a Seagate in my NAS, 8 TB. I decided to die after a few weeks of operation. I got an RMA replacement for it, after a month or so .. again gone. 3rd replacement works like a charm now (but don't let me jinx myself) :)

Koniakki and airbud7 like this.
  12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    My Samsung drive decided it didn't like it's partition table and I lost 100% of what was on that drive. Most unimportant, some important. It wasn't even a very old drive. You could say that it wasn't physically damaged, but I would never trust it again.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've been running Samsung SSD and Toshiba HHD for the longest time, not one issue so far. Seagate I've had a few failures, WD I haven't had any failures(I did break one though...:( ).

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Seagate has weird statistics in these charts. Some HD models have horrible stats while other models are excellent. Different factories with differing QA standards? Hmm..

15. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Generally speaking, Backblaze's numbers and conclusion probably has all the great scientists and statisticians rolling in their graves. It really is just a hodgepodge of information without any real viable conclusion or credibility.

For example, because of the relatively small population sample, HGST may have simply gotten lucky with their numbers. Hell, for all we know, HGST's drives might have all been near air conditioners. Too many variables, not enough constants or even a control group.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Whaa? Why focus on the 45 sample model and ignore the other HGSTs in the chart? Theres over 20,000 HGST in there.

'near airconditioners', yeah... :D.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    As of October 2015 HGST is completely owned by WD. HGST is no longer a separate entity. They had a period of 2 years after they were bought by WD to keep releasing products with the HGST brand stamp but this period is over now. HGST is fully owned and absorbed by WD now. The HGST stickers mean nothing as they are a WD company now.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It comes down to people getting angry at losing data....

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In my experience i have never had a WD or a Toshiba HDD die on me, but as per Seagate it's a totally different story :/ , 2 out of 3 Seagate HDD i had on the past died on me. Currently running Crucial 1TB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD + Toshiba 3TB HDD on my main rig still going strong after many years of use daily :)

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    The best HDDs I have personally used have been Hitachi (now HGST/WD after they were bought out by WD). That's based on time owned and amount of usage. I've had WD fail on me, but only after many years of use (6+ years old iirc). As for Seagate... well I've had a few croak on me within 1-2 years of use in home/office settings. Based on my very small sample size (a couple hundred or so drives) I try not to get Seagate unless they are allot cheaper.