Back to the gym - share your tips and tricks

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Aug 6, 2019.

1. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Office jobs are the new cancer.

I started mine at the age of 23; the first thing I noticed was how out of shape everyone around me was. Fast forward two years and I added some weight - my body was breaking down, mentally I was a mess as well. Barely being able to wake up in the morning; around 2PM, I would crash hard - and once I got home, I couldn't barely do anything physical. My energy level simply wasn't there. At 80kg last year, I went on vacation - ate lots and gained an additional 3kg. I returned to work carrying my bad 'vacation habits' - I gained an additional 2kg.

That's when I put my foot down. I am young and I needed to get into healthier habits then, or I would suffer from it later... when losing fat becomes harder. I started the **** diet, and it worked wonders. Kept my carbs under 20g in any given day; I went back to my old habits of only eating once a day too. Three weeks into **** and my mental clarify had never been sharper, it became sharper as time went on. I could go home after 8 hours of work, and have enough energy to go for a 5KM run. I joined my gym and started heavy cardio exercises. I went from 85kg to 67kg in 4 months.

Some tips I may share; don't compare your body, your gains or losses, with other people's. People's bodies react differently under a new diet, or when following an exercise routine. Don't think of it as something that has a beginning and an end, think of it as a lifestyle change that you'll stick with forever. The hardest part of anything that requires strict discipline is usually at the beginning, when your commitments are questioned; don't think too much about it, just do it (too much thinking and you'll talk yourself out of it) - and a few months down the line, you won't be able to go on your day without it.

Best of luck.

nz3777 and anticupidon like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Bro...1000% agree with all you have said.Thanks a LOT for the tips.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Don't disrespect the juice of many prunes...

anticupidon likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Didn't cross my mind, I swear. However, I bought prunes to consume them as nature provided.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Sounds familiar, was mostly sitting still until last year which meant a pretty severe neglect of the body and physical health had a dog so at least that ensured some walks though since the dog was old it wasn't very long ones so it did only a bare minimum.

Decided to try and change that just about a year ago (End of August 2018) though I can't say much about gym experiences since I find the cost a bit too high and then even more if you want a personal trainer though if they know what they are doing it's probably really good particularly when starting out getting a program and other tips on what to focus on and how to do these training routines and things like that. :)

In my case I started taking longer walks four times per day but the area here is comprised mostly of rougher terrain and hills so two months in I injured just about every muscle in the back from overdoing it since you get very fast results early on and can get pushed into overdoing it putting some pretty severe strain on the body plus a general reduced pain sensitivity or how to call it so that's something I would caution on being aware about but with a trainer it's probably less of a risk. :)

Kept going though, shortened the walks and mixed in physical training and stretching of arms, legs, back and neck areas gradually and so far it's been going incredibly well, re-adjusted the diet mainly reducing sugar and balanced a love for meat with a dislike for vegetables (Willpower wasn't starting taking lengthy walks no it was eating these green and red things in various shapes and consistencies hah!) so all in all from almost 130 KG to a bit below 90 aiming for 85 for now plus a overall strengthening of the back musculature and also arm and leg as a bit of a extra.

No idea about various enhancements, substances and diets or any of that I just walk really far really quickly combined with some physical exercising and and ongoing struggle with cost adjustments which yeah that's going to take a while longer ha ha.
    I can see a gym being really helpful too especially with a advisor or trainer suggestion what to do and focus on if they're good and it's not just about money or trying to get people to hook up on a year long subscriptions at the first possibility.

EDIT: As to results well aside from weight loss the overall energy and feeling of being less fatigued and tired is a massive improvement, posture and overall physical health is up too but will take more time even with early results already being good.

Maintaining it is the long-term challenge and difficulty but so far it's going well, still more to learn and more improvements to be made but I am glad I started even if it was tough at first though I should have begun earlier but it's still going okay.

EDIT: A good amount of rest isn't bad either and mentally I suppose stress is a big issue overall and can be a real problem though I don't know much about the finer details surrounding mental well-being though it's clear from how often it crops up in all sorts of situations.

Late EDIT: What else, probably not much just don't overdo it and keep it in moderation even if early results can be incredibly promising since you don't want to run into any complications and also keep it being a fun thing and not taking over entirely or how to say.

Not really sure what else to add I kept at it though I fumbled initially and these results over just a year is to me a pretty clear indication on how poorly I had maintained the body initially and how fast I managed to get back to it even with some difficulties along this first year of however many I can keep at it.

EDIT: Oh yeah 1986 so that puts me at 32 years old when I started and it was about time just as a personal opinion about my own state and physical health which weren't that good.

Yep that's a lot of edits but just smaller additions mostly, it's a complicated subject matter really so this here is mostly a collection of my own observations and some of the problems and struggles even if results have ultimately been really impressive for what I initially expected.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Nice post Jonas, like the irony of your avatar with the subject matter too,

airbud7 likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Small update:
    My body is stupid stubborn, takes my whole mental power to power it up.
    Guess I was fooling myself that so many years of being a couch potato can be shed so quickly.
    But each gym session is done, two hours and muscle aching.
    Gym trainer told to go for a long recovery process, reps with small weights, but each rep has to be done by the book.
    Then, shock your muscles with unpredictable reps, different weights and random muscle groups.
    It's a long process, the benefits will show later on.
    Now, the most important is to keep doing it and focus on overall health improvement.
    I don't want to be Mr.Olimpia, just tone my body and my mind. And the mind is where is I feel more recovered.
    The good thing that here, the whole gym subscription scheme doesn't exist.
    You can pay each session, buy 20, 30,50 session at your own schedule.
    Nothing like those absurd impossible to cancel subscription, like I keep hearing over the pond.
    Example: paid 20 € for 10 sessions, to my own choosing of dates/ days.

airbud7 and JonasBeckman like this.
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Missed this quote earlier but yeah the Battlefield Hardline video game "next-gen" hamburger. It does kinda fit as I retain a strong love of fast food and until recently had pretty poor eating habits and overall unbalanced diet, I still make the occasional hamburger or pizza but reducing the sugar intake as one of the primary targets next to various fats (Though sugar is kinda in everything.) and re-adjusting to more salads and such is has made quite a difference and helped with the results I am still getting now after about one year of being more active.

Above post is also really interesting especially hearing some of those suggestions from the trainer and going for a longer term strategy but it sounds like it's going to produce really good results in time and yeah getting started can be a challenge though once that hurdle is over with it tends to go more smoothly and the body starts adapting to a more active style of life or how to say at least that's been my experience from this first year and a few ups and downs starting with walking and expanding from there to various physical training and stretching exercises trying to complement most parts of the body as required although more free style and testing what works and what needs to be worked on and improved bit by bit.
    (Overall it's going well thus far.)

Varying the food intake is also a bit more of a challenge now since the additional burn and expending of energy increases hunger and I can eat quite a bit though still retaining the goal of building up muscles and reducing fat which is a good indication things are going well too.

About the threshold for how much more I can reduce weight but just around 86 Kilos with far better body musculature though the abdomen and gut will take a bit more work though that wasn't much of a surprise from what I've been reading up on.
    Been a nice spur for continuing on even if energy and overall health and well-being was the real factor into getting started though it certainly shows that just starting little by little can still give good results.

EDIT: Hamburgers as such are quite flexible though although I suppose pizza can be varied too but the classic burger from white bread, minced meat, dressing and cheese or something like that isn't the most optimal arrangement hah.

Food's a personal preference though for what works and all sorts of things along with what to drink and supplementary and lots more, I don't know this subject well at all beyond some basics.
    (Pepsi Max been flying off the shelf in most stores here these summer months as people are being all sporty and picking some non-sugar variant soft drink but I'm not sure it's all that optimal though it's not the worst either.)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Found out that in general, real, nutritious food is kinda hard and expensive to get in the USA.
    Not that in EU organic food is free for all, not sir.
    But eating became so damn hard with all modern social concept confusing the basic necessities and abundance of high card, processed food
    Convenience is a b!tech, and body is dumb enough to follow the trend of high sugar and high carbs
    But no pain, no gain.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Not sure where you get your info from but all food is cheap here in the USA and a gym membership at Planet Fitness is $10 per month/ they are everywhere....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are largest food exporter in the world!.... Cheap I tell ya!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    nz3777, Solfaur and JonasBeckman like this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Maybe my data is erroneous.
    Anyhow, one has to be consistent and stubborn to eat well.

airbud7 and JonasBeckman like this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah the price of ecologic and certain basic produce such as milk and imports like nuts which I try to use to reduce the craving for other sweets or did use early on for that has risen to a pretty high level here in just a couple of years with nuts in particular having a really hefty price tag now plus they can still often be sweetened which loses the intended effect of what I try to use them as a replacement for compared to the usual chocolate bars and all that.

Meanwhile pirogi, pan pizzas and other instant food of all kinds some better and some quite unhealthy is sold at a incredibly low price so in regards to economics and cost it can be a real pain at times but I think I'm hitting a OK balance though I am also hearing there's going to be further increases on goods so that's a concern for what's next.

There's still some solid options available though and plenty to choose from so it's not all bad although the little labels and such for what's actually in the product can be a bit of a surprise at times. :D
    It all works together though it is certainly possible to vary things up but a healthy lifestyle can indeed be a bit of a struggle at times though you don't need to outright remove everything either or change everything at once.

Sugar was the main thing I was concerned about though carbon hydrates (Think I'm naming it right here for it's full name.) and other pieces such as vitamins have since slowly been a thing to read up and understand more about but it's not too hard even if it initially seems like it's going to be a real pain. :)

Mostly just speaking from my own experiences with this but I also found it fun to try and get into and learn more about not just the training and such itself but surrounding and related bits such as nutrition. Bit by bit or little by little as to not make it completely overwhelming and trying to do everything at once.

EDIT:
    That's certainly true.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    my receipt from this morning
    [​IMG]
    Milk...$1.22 Gal
    10 pounds of chicken $5.98
    Big loaf bread .88
    Big hamburger buns .87
    iceberg lettuce $1.23 head
    5lbs sugar $1.37
    10lbs potatoes $4.76

JonasBeckman and Solfaur like this.
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Warning...language...."IF YOU CAN'T SEE YOU ABS, GET OFF THE FCKING AB MACHINE!"

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Glad to hear you are making a change for the better my brother, I was out a few years myself it can be easy to neglect your health due to everyday life ect... Best advice I can give you is do not look at someone else and say I wanna look like that,No! You need to compare only to urself and nobody else,Diet is the most important thing and water....As far as exercise goes just take it easy maybe 3-4 times a week when u start then gradually increase.....I go almost everyday for the past 20 years its a way of life for me. I also do a little mma (local) only and some boxing iam 42 years old mind you :) and I could still take on most 20 year olds. Send me an message if you need any help or motivation I love helping people out when I can. Best of luck brother I know you can do it,When you get ripped you can show off your abs on 3d guru hahaha I know I do.

JonasBeckman likes this.

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Oh 1 thing I Forgot to mention here is proper recovery aka Protein, I assume you are from the states ? If you go out and buy Protein powders only few select "Whey" protein from companys like "MuscleTech" Eas also makes some very good products, Met-Rx back in the day was also very good. Do some research before buying or just hit me up .

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Whey protein aka creatine?
    Was able to found organic creatine in a small village in Andalucía/Spain, they produced the protein from processing the raw milk of their flock of sheep and goats. Bought some, and just started to take it, small doses though.
    I'm based in Europe, Spain.

nz3777 likes this.
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

2 hours per session... wth. Are you trying to become Mr. Olimpia, or are you taking a nap in between reps?
    Seriously you have no business being there 2hr..

Because the chances are
    a) it's a low intensity training, you're not giving your best
    b) and if you are giving your best, then 2hr is simply too punishing and not just for a beginner.
    c) you're resting too much in between the reps. if not look under b)

Your muscles shouldn't be aaaching. There should be some pain, but a pleasant kind.
    KISS. One hour in, EXPLODE, and you're out. You should feel physically energized, like you can do another round, not tiiiired. Try to throw in some heavy intensity cardio, every or at least every 2nd session, or perhaps a specialized cardio session.

This thing with shocking your muscles with random exercises sounds good, but maybe it's too much for a starter and maybe it's sapping you of your energy and willpower. You should enjoy your session with enthusiasm, not dread your next unpredictable rep.
    Maybe it's better to keep it simple at first, till you raise your metabolism level. You decide...Willpower is crucial at the beginning.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This whole thing was kinda tl;dr, but if it hasn't already been said, be mindful of how much weight you lift. It's not worth squatting/deadlifting/cleaning a ton of weight. No one is paying you to do it and if you get hurt it's a long recovery. Take it from me, I loved doing heavy dead lifts. Popped a disk in my neck and it took a year to recover fully. Needless to say, I don't really do much weight on any exercise that involves putting my back in a vulnerable position.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Creatine will give you a Nice little boost 4 damm sure that stuff works considering its a (Natrual) substance you will see Strength gains almost right away!!! I know I did. I have been on both sides of the spectrum Natrual and Drugs the 2nd by all means is not worth killing urself over.
    I am not sure what they sell in Spain iam sorry but just look for a High quality Creatine and also a Protein drink for recovery,Its not Mandatory but it does help. The best is to get all your Calories from Natural foods brother,Meat,veggies,Fruits ect....