Back To The Basics: Freesync + 120Hz/144Hz Monitors

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is from AMD_Robert
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4ypw5k/freesync_is_so_fcking_awesome/d6zl13v/

So, I guess you are suppose to leave Wait for Vertical Refresh: "Off, unless application specifies"
    But you then enable vsync in game.
    Anyone noticed any latency problems enabling Vsync? I haven't noticed. But my FPS are above my Refresh Rate.
    I didn't know capping the FPS breaks Freesync though? That's the 1st I've heard of that.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    That Reddit is VERY OLD, and Blurbusters proved AMD_Robert's info to be inaccurate. Just use Blurbuster's guidelines. :)

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What's odd is that I've not come across any update since then.
    Has AMD actually provided any input to this since then?

Edit:
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-013

But nothing on using or not using vsync, FPS limiter, etc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Lol capping framerate does not break freesync and vsync is supposed to be off ingame.

z8373767 likes this.

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    By this guideline, https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=4956#p38315
    He says that VSync should still be on...

WTH?

Edit:

Here is another quote from this post.
    https://forums.blurbusters.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=53755

6. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Ray_m said: Vsync must be disabled, but AMDmatt keeps them both on.

Why is that? To prevent screen tearing while you have more or less FPS than Freesync Range can handle. For example 30fps cutscene in-game.
    I never used Vsync since i bought Monitor with Freesync. Just capped the framerate to 143 and wide Freesync range from 144-35 to 144-29, so even those 30fps cutscenes is tearing-free
    Vsync needs stable framerate to work, freesync not, thats why i love this feature. I can play games with moderate FPS without tearing or inputlag issue.

Funny thing.

The Force Unleashed 2 on PC have 30fps cap and broken V-sync, Freesync was the only solution to proper sync.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am not going to play game which will fall under 60fps. End of story.
    And having frametime under 4.16667ms to get above 240Hz limit of my screen is literally impossible since I use RTSS limiter based on frame time 4.255ms, instead of refresh rate rate. It is best limiter there is.
    I never have tearing.

Then again, weak systems should use frame doubling. Therefore if FS range starts at 35Hz, driver should send double frames when fps falls to 34 (68 double which is inside FS range) or equivalent of current half frametime.

8. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    About double framing, when I tested it on Iiyama, it doubled even under FS range and even in FS range (so 30FPS was 60Hz, 70 FPS was 140Hz)

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way, how does the driver v-sync work when Freesync is on? Does it cap the frame rate when it's enabled and Freesync is on? If AMD doesn't offer NVIDIA style v-sync that automatically kicks in and limits the frame rate, then that would really suck... and reduce my willingness to consider RDNA2 cards.

With GeForce I use NULL (i.e. ultra low latency mode + v-sync) and it works well for me. I'd rather prefer v-sync to go on when above VRR window (which doesn't happen often with GTX 1070 @ 1440p) than manually limit the FPS below the VRR window. Though, at 165Hz it wouldn't be that big deal but still.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Works the same way on AMD as NV, since it's an OS thing. VSync limits fps to max refresh rate, and when at max, it's in full VSync mode. When below max, and in the VRR range, then VRR is in use, with the minimal latency. So, like NV, it's best to cap just under maxfps, or use Scanline Sync from RTSS, and have VStync enabled, preferably in driver, and off in game (tho you can experiment which you prefer). This gives you the low latency and tear-free gameplay. You can enable Anti-Lag if game is CPU limited, and you could use Chill as a RTSS replacement. Boost will lower screen res while in motion to keep FPS steady, and RIS for CAS style sharpening when using a lower resolution and upscaling.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    So, does the driver v-sync work for Radeon? I've read some conflicting stuff about it. For GeForce it's very simple turn it on and you'll never get tearing and it will always work.

I guess I need to double check... with my work laptop.

12. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    V-Sync in drivers works only for OpenGL.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's pretty lame. They don't have proper solution to lock the frame rate to refresh rate when above VRR limit.

itpro likes this.
  14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    That's why some people cannot tolerate to change sides and stay Nvidia. AMD has less features, or more properly said, less working ones.

vlad[54rus] and Anarion like this.
  15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Yet this isn't one I'd miss, there are only ever so few games that don't offer vsync options and usually in-game limiters are the way to go for lowest input lag anyway.

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    But thats not all though. There are several features which are now made obsolete in the drivers.
    AF doesn't work
    They disabled video profiles for Firefox.
    Disabled custom options for video profiles: 5700 series
    Removed toggle for global caching on/off. You can only clear them now.
    Freesync is so unstable it can break and work from one driver to the next.
    Video recording won't work with a sound blaster AE series audio card. You have to separate audio channels for you mic.

And a bunch of other stuff they did. If that got out to you tubers like jayztwocents and both Steve. And they showed people that they dont work would throw a huge monkey wrench in their 6000 release.

I just don't understand why they don't fix it or explain why its like that. I'm very hesitate in buying a 6000 series card because of my experience now with those drivers. Dont get me wrong. Its not an issue with the drivers itself. Its the missing features I know should be working and available in the drivers for my 5700XT that have me pissed off.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    What? AF doesn't work? That's a deal breaker. There are many games that have horrible in game AF.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Forced AF works only with DX10/11 (and perhaps OGL) with Navi, yes. Of course it would be nice if it worked in all APIs, yet Nvidia don't support it for Vulkan either.

While it would be nice if there was this option in case there is an issue, there should be no need to ever turn off shader caching. Nvidia has some stupid auto-purging of the shader cache which you can't turn off, which is far worse. :)

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Feels like Intel might have better drivers for their cards when they launch...

20. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    I don't know, but when I worked few times with nVidia control panel few days back, I wanted to throw the computer out of the window. I didn't see so unresponsive GUI for a long time o_O