Back to basics: safety razor shave

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Oct 18, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    I reckon this is a pet peeve of mine.
    As the title says, I switched back to a classic safety razor, shaving cream brush/bowl and really sharp razors.
    Reason is twofold: price for disposable razors just creeps on you and the whole plastic, plastic and even more plastic consumption really took a toll on me.
    Just wanted a personal and classic way, so bought some simple shaving gear and couldn't be more happier.
    I can really understand the whole concept of time and convenience, but one can choose and this type of shaving is adding only a few minutes to the routine. And also gives a minuscule degree of dexterity, everything is done by you and your hand movement.
    Now, depending on the social "obligations" such as work or whatever policies have you, one must shave daily, or not.
    Luckily, these days I'm not pressed to present myself properly shaven each day, so I can take my time.
    Well, if anyone can share their experiences with this technique, feel free to do so.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Been doing it for two decades now. It has it's disadvantages still (even the safety razors have to be replaced from time to time, but the "main part" with the handle, I have for 16 years now), but it's still the most convenient way.
    My dad uses the brush (badger hair) still, but I switched to ready foam out of the can for simply not having to take along the bowl and brush on travels.

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Switched to classic safety razor 5 years ago. I think I didn't spend more than $50 on double-edge safety razor blades since then.

Cost was my main issue. And I tend to shave more carefully with classic razor.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    So, looks like I'm on the right trend after all.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Went this direction years ago. Still using the same one. [​IMG]

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I am perfectly fine with Gillette Fusion. I use one cartridge nearly a year.