B450 or X370?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by testcy, Dec 24, 2019.

1. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    I was thinking about getting a B450 motherboard such as the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, but for the same amount of money or less I can get an X370 motherboard such as the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO. I believe both support the latest Ryzen CPUs and come with Intel I211-AT, Realtek S1220A, DisplayPort 1.2 etc. Which of the two would you recommend?

2. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    The 300 series is getting close to EoL so I recommend a 400 series board. Also unless you plan on using an APU having a display port is useless.

Dazz, anticupidon and Only Intruder like this.
  3. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    On B450, MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi is about the best board - along with the Tomahawks, has the best VRMs for the B450 range (although the Tomahawks don't have Intel NIC but the Carbon does) only problem is, for Ryzen 3rd gen, you'll be on the slimline bios

4. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    I am not sure if I will get a Ryzen with integrated graphics, but if I do I want support for 4K @ 60Hz thus the DisplayPort 1.2 need.

I can only get the TOMAHAWK MAX that does not have any of the above features (but has Flash BIOS Button which can be useful).

5. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    If I may ask, what region are you in?

6. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    In Europe, but with less choices than what you have in the UK!

7. Lcc

Lcc Member

GPU:
    RIVA TNT 2 32mb
    Why not an GIGABYTE AORUS B450 wifi PRO (not sure if have DisplayPort ).

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    TOMAHAWK MAX is the best feature/performance/price ratio.
    For it's price (lately, a bit overpriced) has very good VRMs.
    But remember, it's B450, sits in its own league and has own limitations.

9. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Based on previous experience I am not buying a GIGABYTE motherboard ever again.

10. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING has same price and better features, but I don't know about VRMs.

11. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
  12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  13. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    I am not THAT concerned, but I still would like to have the newest and best onboard sound.

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    Onboard sound suck. Any.
    Unless u using speakers only then yea, they might be. Headphones any 40usd+ and I can tell difference between onboard and any add on card, Asus dx or creative z, zx, ae**. Especially in games, where u need to track by sound enemy moves. Or in movies...
    And MSI tomahawk max is decent mobo, I made setup for friend of my son with 16gb 3200cl14 ram@3777cl15, 3700x, ae-5 and 5700xt saphire pulse. Runs flawlessly.

anticupidon likes this.
  15. Had one, can't say had any issues with it and AMD 3000 series - great board - great VRMs - Hilbert did a review on it here *Correction* Hilbert reviewed the sister ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING board.

Tom's Hardware did the -F variant here

16. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB
    It depends on the price and the board, some of the X370 boards have better audio than B450 board's, if they support the cpu you want have better features and are cheaper it a bit of a no brainier IMO . I doubt B450 will last any longer than x370 TBH they will both be supported until the next socket change.
    ps. if you go the 370 route make sure its vrm's are up to scratch

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    MSI's B-450 series boards with the MAX moniker mean Ryzen 3000 compatibility out-of-the-box, and have 32mb BIOS chip for better full-featured processor support in future BIOS (supports more processor models per version, 16mb BIOS version boards have only support for 1 and 2000 series or 2 and 3000 series). You will have most trouble-free route here.
    If you buy any other board from any other maker, make sure it has BIOS FLASH BACK feature on the board or you will need a 1000 series processor to flash the bios for 3xx series, or 1000/2000 series processor to flash BIOS on 4xx series boards.
    Not all Gigabyte boards are bad. Asus and Gigabyte are still one company (have been for about a decade now) when I last checked. Just the model names differ and a few features here or there. The Asus brand is still the top-end one, though.
    Asrock boards should be considered if the price is right. They are solid, and have been for some time.
    Any 3xx series board and higher, forgoing (most of!) the A320 / and all A300 series boards, will work with it. Just avoid A320 / A300 marked boards if you can help it unless you're building an HTPC or email/web-surfing only machine.
    Find one with the features you need, and purchase it. Display ports are more commonly found on newer boards so take into consideration that bit when searching. Amazon has a painless return policy if things don't get along, and also, 4xx series boards will generally support faster memory, too.
    So there is no one-size fits-all. You could even get a generic ONDA motherboard if you wanted, from china. It's cheap but may do what you need if you find the right model. You won't get a manual though so they're for experienced builders only, and can even be sometimes hard to find outside aliexpress. ONDA produces boards which are okay for basic system usage, but if you want to push it to the limit, consider these like an off-the-shelf pre-built class of motherboard. Nothing fancy here - and no support / Bios updates are promised when buying these lesser-known-brands.
    Figured I'd lay out all of it for you. good luck with your system. Best bet is MSI MAX series 4xx boards.

18. kanenas

kanenas Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    Strix-f gaming 450 here with 3700x Ryzen 3000 compatibility out-of-the-box great bios and vrms temp are great also running tridentz silver-black 3600@3733 like a champ.