AWW GOD DAMN IT (need GTX 280 help!)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by big_phil2005, Jul 7, 2008.

1. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    hello,

I finally got myself another P5k motherboard, got tired of waiting on RMA, BUT when i re-formatted windows I cant get my sound working:bang::bang:

Im using driver version 177.41 on Vista x64. My audio is onboard and the 280 is connected to my LCD TV via DVI-HDMI and the audio is connected to the TV via a cable with headphone like connections at either end.

Ive went into control panel and all appears to be working via the audio option. When i go into device manager and disable the 280, the sound returns :rpg:

So Im at a loss as to how to sort this out, Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics and audio drivers and always end up back with the same problem

Any ideas???:arnie:

2. Ranger x

Ranger x Master Guru

GPU:
    12GB EVGA FTW3 3080
    Have you have tried updating your mainboard drivers and your onboard sound drivers.

3. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    Running all the windows updates just now, will post back!

4. smokingbandit

smokingbandit Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 2x sli
    hi there i have witm my gtx260 a little audio cable witch i can plug in in the gtx200 serie and connect it to my audio hardware connections so you have audio though the hdmi.
    sorry for my englisch

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Same IRQ making a problem? I seem to remember having trouble with a usb wireless adapter that was on the same IRQ as a soundcard.

It appears that you have onboard sound though, so I don't know if the interrupt works the same as having a PCI card would. Did you try putting the graphics into another PCI-e slot?

6. xBeldin

xBeldin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB / Zalman VF1000
    You've probably done this but make sure you have the latest audio drivers from asus.

7. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    Ran all available windows updates, no luck
    using the current audio graphics drivers, no luck
    tried using the SPDIF cable, no luck

Anyone got any other ideas?

P-L-E-A-S-E?!?!?!?!?!

(just buy a soundcard??)

8. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

Go to 'start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager' and see that here are no yellow exclamation marks. If there are you must fix them.

Check for a driver update for the motherboard chipset.

Is the motherboard bios setup correctly?

If you are planning to use a sound card then turn off on-board sound in the motherboard bios.

Simplify your speaker setup until all is working ok.

Go to 'start, control panel, audio devices, audio panel, and make sure the proper device is chosen.

You said you went to hardware devices and disabled the 280. What do you mean by 280? Not the video card right? lol If the 280 has sound output disable that or use it. My ATI has sound out but I disable it and use a Creative Labs sound card. Although in your case you would be using on-board sound.

Did you install the on-board sound drivers? AC97 or whatever it's called?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  9. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Did you try moving the card into another pci-e slot?

10. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    There are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager, i tried there first.

There are no current available updates available for my motherboard, yes the BIOS is configured properly.

And yes, strangely enough, disabling the graphics card in device manager solves the audio problem, thats whats confusing the heck outta me.

It seems like the graphics driver has taken control of the audio, but I cannot see any way to seperate this. In Sounds menu via control panel, it says my realtek HD audio is functioning correctly, but still no sound :bang:

anyone else wanna step into the ring and beat my gremlin??

EDIT : I only got 1 PCI-E slot, so no, cant swap it round

11. jasa

jasa Member

GPU:
    Xpert 8600GT 512 DDR2
    hit windows key + R and type in run box "services.msc"

then go down to Windows Audio and make sure its set to automatic and that the service is started

12. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    i have an x-fi xtreme music for sale cheap! look in the for sale thread and good luck. i have been having to many problems with asus motherboards that they have lost my business. have dfi now and love it.

13. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    Do you still have your old video card and/or have access to a different one -- a friend's, perhaps? It sounds to me like an issue with the PCI-e port, and if you run another gfx card on your mobo, you can refute or strengthen the case against that hunch, i.e., if the other card does not work, that is evidence that the PCI slot is screwed, and if the other card does work, then your pci slot is fine and it's time to RMA the gfx card.