1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVX offset bug asus z370-f

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by darrensimmons, Apr 28, 2018.

1. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 TI
    It's a little annoying that this bug has not been addressed yet. For those that aren't aware of this bug, the AVX offset is kicking in even in non AVX apps such as games like BF1 and Destiny2 to name a couple. Got lucky with my 8700k as it runs super cool @5gig so I have just disabled the offset completely.

2. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Wow, nice OC there my friend. You got a golden chip. People usually get 4.6 max stable. So good job with that.

3. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I offset my 8700k AVX by 2 @ 4.8ghz just because of the heat... so yeah you got lucky there if you are getting that without having to delidd.. What voltages are you running?
    I have an asus Prime z370-a... the bug isn't on that also is it?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    No they don't.

Considering since a lot of boards turbo 4.7ghz out of the box on all cores.

Do you read like a few words on a post than post something illogical everytime?

CalculuS, insp1re2600 and Kolt like this.

5. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    This is true. Right out of the box on most ASUS boards MCE is enabled which will boost all cores to 4.7ghz for turbo, although I personally think MCE is terrible and should not be used and you should just manually set your clocks. I would think most 8700k users can at least hit 4.7 or even 4.8 stable with no real stability issues, just the heat to deal with which is a whole other beast.

6. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    What cooling are you using. To achieve 5Ghz your voltage must be through the roof.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    Why would they be through the roof for a potential 300mhz oc on some boards, have you ever oc'd a 8700k?

8. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Oh sorry insp1re I didn't see that. A 300Mhz OC wont even need voltage touching.

9. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That is something you can't make a blanket statement for. Depending on the OC and what you are currently at, a jump at even 100mhz may need a nice change in voltage. Going from 4.8ghz on my 8700k to 4.9ghz requires a jump from 1.27v to 1.29v for me in order to be stable. When it comes to overclocking and this type of technology you can't make blanket statements like that, especially when a jump to 300mhz is different from user to user (silicon lottery, type of board, etc). I

That being said, I can hit 5ghz at around 1.3v which isn't that big of a voltage for these chips. I am personally limited by my temps though, and I've almost certainly narrowed it down to Intel's bad application of the TIM in the IHS (need to delidd to get any better temps at this point for me).

10. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 TI
    Sorry for late reply guys. My voltage is 1.3 but temps are never above 50c in gaming. I don't run an offset and havnt run into any problems as I don't often run programs that use it. That being said, bf1 and destiny 2 were both downclocking which is why I disabled it. Thing I did get a good chip though as it runs so cool.

11. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    50c? Are you sure that is with full load? Prime95 or another stress test? That seems very low for 5ghz/1.3v..

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Less than 50c in gaming, which is normal

13. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I find that kind of hard to believe.. maybe with a really lucky CPU + good liquid metal delidd + rocking some amazing ambient temps, but 50c is pretty low for a 5ghz/1.3v 8700k.. unless by "gaming" we are talking about Minesweeper or Solitaire haha.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Not that hard to believe.

Mine only hits low 40s in games like battlefield, fortnite etc; granted it's not a 8700k but it puts out a similar heat load.

15. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Delidded sure, I can see that getting somewhere near that considering some people are shaving ~20c with a good delidd.. but without it I find that very hard to believe with an 8700k and even most delidded 8700ks at that range are probably going to hit 70c full load.

I'm not calling you or anyone a liar, as it can definitely happen as some people have gotten away with some really lucky chips, but holy hell if that's true you have a golden chip and might as well push that OC a lot more. My 8700k is no where near as lucky as that.. I hit close to 90c @AVX loads with a Noctua D15 (Noctua TIM that came with it) and only ~1.275v. Typical game loads (non AVX stress) hit around 80-85c at most which leaves my only next option of delidding if I want to push anymore (not an ambient issue. Idle temps sit around 30c and temps for everything else seem very low. 1070 OC'd doesn't even hit 70c @ stress. Room that the PC is in is ventilated and cool). I'm pretty sure my IHS TIM is garbage.

At this point my only suggestion is to make sure you are actually getting the temps you think... like make sure the TJmax isn't set incorrectly or use a different core temp reader. RealTemp GT works great, just make sure TJmax is 100 (should be the default) as I've made the mistake in the past of having the wrong TJmax which will screw up the readings and make them lower or higher than you might think. If you are still showing as 50c under full load go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back and a round of applause. You done good and have a freaking awesome chip and I'm jealous.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I think you are hung up on the 'full load' comparison.

Games are never even close to full load, not even 50% of a workload like avx.

Neither him or I said anything about full load; only temps under gaming.

17. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Right, and I get that.. but when you tell someone what your temps are and how hot your chip is, you usually talk about full load - game or not. The fact that he stated BF1 in his first post, a game that will put your CPU through a lot and a game that seems to use AVX loading, tells me that his BF1 temps aren't even hitting 50c which is insane to me. BF1 at least for me is almost like running a stress test... Bf1 gives me almost Prime95 temps at times and drops to AVX speeds at certain points (especially when loading maps), which is why I've always assumed BF1 used AVX. I've never seen a game put my CPU to the test as far as heat and usage like BF1 does.. so for him to say he's at 50c while playing games like BF1 tells me he's only getting ~50c full load. Same goes with AC origins which uses AVX and will make great use of the 8700k.

If he didn't specifically state Bf1 in his post I would be more with you on this, but he did say BF1 which I know will put a lot of usage on his CPU unless he is running with very low graphical settings or has a lower end GPU. I run BF1 at 1440p and max everything, so obviously my CPU is able to work harder than someone who may be limited by their GPU and not CPU.

Most games I play on my PC probably don't even get my CPU to 70c, but the fact that some games (especially newer ones) get my CPU to ~90c, I report that as the max temp.. not what my average is or what some games load as.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    His very first sentence was "My voltage is 1.3 but temps are never above 50c in gaming."

I don't see where you get it's implied full load. He said gaming, which is never a full load.

Secondly, BF1 does not use AVX
    Neither does AC origins; in fact, no games to my knowledge have ever used AVX; besides emulators like PS3.

BF1 is nowhere near the sort of stress of an application like p95 with AVX workloads.

Considering I own BF1 I can tell you from first hand experience it isn't a heavy workload on the CPU compared to stress tests
    I have a 2100mhz 1080Ti which is at least 60-70% faster than a 1070; which means my CPU will have the potential to do more work.

I still don't even hit >50% total usage in a 64p server.

Lastly, If you are hitting 90c+ in bf1 you have serious cooling issue.
    Or maybe you've clocked it too high(or voltages too high) for your cooler.

19. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    AC origins is directly affected by AVX settings and uses AVX speeds, unless that is a bug. I've talked to others and read elsewhere before about how AC origins uses AVX. I've tested it with my AVX settings and it runs at AVX speeds for me.

BF1 I am unsure if it does or not, hence why I chose the words I chose ("seems to use"). I made it clear that I wasn't really sure and made an assumption: "Bf1 gives me almost Prime95 temps at times and drops to AVX speeds at certain points (especially when loading maps), which is why I've always assumed BF1 used AVX". I record the max temps hit, not what I see when I glance down once in a while. If BF1 is 99% of the time running at 75c but during loading it spikes to 90c, then 90c is what I consider the max temps. When it hits 90c during that time, my CPU is damn near 100% (aka full load) and drops down 100mhz (which is what my AVX offset is at). I don't cherry pick my temperatures or wordings, and I'm not trying to say that BF1 is "full load" at all times and never was.

I also made it very clear that the results were my own and that BF1 ran very hot for me, unlike other games I use. Prime 95 gets my CPU cores to ~92c and Bf1 has gotten my CPU cores to 90c during certain times. I made it pretty clear that "Bf1 gives me almost Prime95 temps at times". My temps for BF1 while running around and playing is usually around 70-75c, but in between rounds and during loading I've seen it spike to 90c.. this is why I said when "especially when loading maps" and why I stated before why I felt BF1 was using AVX to load somehow. I play BF1 all the time along with just about any major release and game (huge gamaholic), and from my witness BF1 uses my CPU more than most (not all) of my games. Regardless of what you see within your results, these are mine. You can't really argue that. I think 50c with an 8700k @ 5ghz while playing BF1 is really low and what you replied with won't really change my mind on that.

I also posted my stats and it's only at 1.275v right now @ 4.8ghz using the Noctua D15 + Noctua TIM that came with it. I mentioned that I've narrowed it down to bad TIM within the IHS (thanks Intel), so I've already acknowledged my own cooling issues.

Not really trying to argue with you here, not my style.. especially on a topic with ranging varied results. You guys can take that info or leave it, no harm done to me ;)