AVX 512 on W7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by David Lake, Jan 17, 2020.

1. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    I still use windows 7, that is NOT up for debate and software is increasingly trying to use AVX 512 because I have a 9920X and therefore crashes with an unhandled illegal instruction exception.
    I need to either hide the AVX 512 compatibility CPUID returns or somewhat more unlikely, make windows 7 use AVX 512.

I would pay big money to fix this issue.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Leave feedback that the software should be made properly and check against the feature set list as exposed to the OS instead of assuming support based on cpuid.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Check your BIOS. If you're very lucky, it might have an option to either disable AVX 512, or let you specify CPUID levels.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    I have an Asus X299 SAGE/10G, I dont think there is anything in the bios that would help unless I missed something.
    The first thing that raised this issue is steam VR home because at some point it just stopped working and I couldn't get into the "home" environment and after some digging I found steamtours.exe was crashing right after execution with an illegal instruction exception in phonon.dll which is the audio core, a disassembly shows it tries to execute the instruction vmovss which is an AVX-512F instruction.

I have opened a help request with steam but their best reply is:
    Hello there,

Due to settings within Windows 7 and 8 this could be a recurring issue which we will be unable to investigate due to the end of official support for both of the aforementioned Operating Systems.

I recommend reaching out to the Steam community through the Discussions to see if there are any other users who have experienced this and can help provide you with a possible workaround that they have found.

Thank you for using Steam,
    Kaz

Also I have tried the software development emulator but my test application was extremely slow and I doubt it would be of use because the steamtours.exe process that crashes is executed in the background, with the emulator you have to execute the subject process explicitly.

While I can still play games the next problem was with "The Lab" which runs but has a sound issue and shows an error message on the desktop.

I can only expect more of these issues as developers implement AVX512 with no regard for older OS's.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If software crashes due to attempt to use missing instructions it definitely does not check for CPU ID. You can`t fool such software.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The instructions aren't missing, the cpu has them, thats where cpu-id checking is actually a failure - Windows 7 can't use EVEX registers so the most that can be used is up to AVX2

Windows 8.1 is not end of support.

8. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Maybe something similar to the BIOS emulation that was used to crack windows with offline OEM activation could be used, of course this wouldn't be an illegal use of such a thing or maybe some sort of hypervisor.
    We just need someone who knows how to code such software, I code but nothing on that level.

9. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    The SDE does work but its PAINFULLY slow.