Average Selling Prices of Hard Disk Drives after Floods

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 25, 2013.

1. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Depends on how far we are looking, just google future of storage technologies, how many answers you'll get with SSDs? Well, its not really how many answers you get, but use your logic, SSDs prices are way to high, time showed that they fail really fast, memory capacity is very small, but they are damn fast. Of course this technology will advance, but i just can't see it to be the future of Mass Storage.
    Good question ;D

Well yeah, that's what i thought and do now;D This is how business works. They are using all kind of ways to get more money. Many corporations closes stating that they went bankrupt, but heads of these corporations gets sh**load of money. A lot of users of those corporations doesn't understand how could that happened, but it did, so heads of the corporation just stole a lot of money ;D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It's not fake, but they did take advantage afterwards.

3. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    That's about the same sort of usage our app servers at work get and the SSD's haven't missed a beat.

Our DB server on the other hand is running HDD's and has terrible performance / table locking issues and has had two drive failures in the past 12 months.

I'm pushing for our DB server to get a full hardware upgrade including to SSD's as I'm getting sick of things going wrong & the crappy performance.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    http://www.onebitzero.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Thailand-flood-Western-Digital-Factory.jpg

Faked!

"Crisis"!

I mean, it's not like there was really a ****ing catastrophic flood that destroyed factories full of equipment used to make HDD or displaced millions of people (including the workers, you know). None of this REALLY happened. Or, I mean, maybe it did, but they were probably back to work in a week. A month at most. These are huge corporations! They have the money and insurance to get back to work.

The article you linked was written by an idiot. I won't say anything about you, but going around and linking it to make a stupid point is a stupid thing to do. You can sit around and debate the merits of capitalism, or how much you hate supply and demand, but the flood and the effects were a very real thing. Factories really did fill with water, employees really were displaced, hard drive shipments really did drop.

It's delusion, stupidity, and arrogance that let someone put "quotes" around the word crisis when speaking about a catastrophe that killed hundreds, displaced millions, and cost billions.

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    It did happen, but they recovered much faster than they said they did.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If demand for drives had dropped so would prices.
    Its basic economics dude.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    This.
    Stop buying HDDs for awhile ffs. :p

On a more serious note, current prices actually reflect the current safe margin for manufacturers to maintain higher prices compared to pre-flood without losing considerable amount of sales.
    Hence, stop buying HDDs for awhile. :p

On the other hand, SSDs are coming in fast and going in hard *snickers*, along with the availability of good TLC products like Samsung's.
    At some point, SSD's price-per-GB and durability would be on par with HDD, and HDD would probably be phased out altogether.
    In the mean time, if HDD manufacturers can still rake up profits while HDD is still meaningful then why not; gotta have something to get the company going while waiting for SSD to become a definite HDD replacement from every aspect.

8. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I think he meant that crysis itself was real, but the prices are too high compared to current conditions =] just don't tell me that they don't use it as a reason to keep prices too high after everything has happend. If you know how Economy works, you should learn about greedy people ;D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It is a couple dollars higher and a couple years later. How could you know the prices would not have settled at this price anyway?

Anyway, look at the real shipment figures. You will see a huge dip in hard disk shipments following the flood. That is naturally going to drive price higher. Since then, you not only have to fulfill current demand, but also past demand, for people who had forgone purchasing a hard disk at an elevated price.

Anyway, the difference in prices between now and then is essentially nothing. You can find 1TB HDD for 49.99, just like you could before, you just need to look.

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I'm comparing same drive prices, with same specifications same vendor. Not just any 1TB drive to different 1TB drive. I assumed you mean 50USD, so cheapest 1TB drive cost 65 USD in Lithuania, our retailers also used crisis as a reason to make prices more higher. I don't really search for cheapest prices, i also have in mind that retailer or seller has to be trusted. On ebay you can get a lot of things cheaper but with huge sacrifice on quality or luck. Already burned my fingers on buying from cheapest sellers.