Avatar: using Dunia engine, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by F1refly, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    aye! that's exactly what i thought while playing the demo. :p

2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Most (not all, mind you, there are exceptions, as always) good movie-based games I've played were, for me, based on actual good movies. But the opposite is true most of the time as well... I will go watch the movie, but I am not expecting anything superb nor grand in movie-making, I'll just go there to let myself be entertained, for whatever amount of entertainment the movie can offer. But after playing the demo several times, I now made a firm decision to simply not buy it, it was, overall, quite boring, despite the good graphics.

3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    First: I loved farcry 2 and still do,

Second: Dunia is amazing, it isn't cryengine...but no other game engine is as good.

I don't like the sounds of the movie or the game, but the pics look pretty cool, and i'm more interested now that I know it is using Dunia.

If wearing a pear of cheap 3d glasses while playing is an important gameplay element, then there's no way in hell i'd touch it

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think the 3D is a gameplay element since you can't do 3D on the consoles, and the Nvidia glasses aint cheap lol.

I like the look of the game while you don't see anything, all gets a bit silly once you need to shoot stuff, unfortunately the movie looks the same to me.

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I thought perhaps it was one of those gimmicky things where you need the red and white glasses for 3D-lite...seeing as the movie does.

I'm all for nvidia 3d gaming, just as long as it isn't mandatory.

Is there a PC demo for this?

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The movie won't use the red and blue glasses, it will probably use the RealD 3D glasses, which are essentially a pare of shades, and they worked amazing on A Christmas Carol, wish something was available at home for this though, the normal 3D glasses ruin colour and detail.

It will never be mandatory, its too small a market for games, the old school 3D system isn't very good, and the new one needs a 120hz screen and ideally a PC that can pump out 120fps.

Demo
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_53202.shtml

7. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    cheers for the link, here goes nothing

8. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just finished the demo on PC, and looks pretty good. Gameplay reminds me of Lost Planet a bit. And graphics is great. But on the 360 ... looks like a playstation 2 game.

9. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Well I liked the demo.
    Picked up full game yesterday.
    Will be installing today.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    FC2 was ok you can see what they were trying to do. Its just that they spent too much time optimising the engine and not enough time on actual gameplay or story. The graphics were impressive if you ask me, it was very bland in places being very grey, and dark. But the fire and wind effects were excellent and the lighting in places (HDR, etc, etc) looked almost too real. Lets face it the engine is extremely well coded and if they get this right then this game could be amazing.

I simply can not wait for the movie AVATAR, it is my most anticipated movie I think ever. Did you know James Cameron finished the script for the movie in 1994 and put the movie aside because SFX were not good enough yet. Also he is the first director to ever take part in the invention and creation of the brand new technology they used inside the camera's to film this movie. This is why I am so excited, plus its Cameron who's filmography reads like a movie-buffs wet dream.

EDIT: Just finished the demo and what can I say. I am actually very impressed. I ran the demo at 1680x1050, DX10, 4XAA, Every setting set to max and whilst there were a few slowdowns here and there the game engine did a great job of keeping most of the action and game at a steady 60fps most of the time. Only dipping to around 45fps when looking at certain areas of the scenery that are very large and open.

The game does play a lot like Lost Planet, which is not a bad thing. The gameplay is good, at times also confusing on what you are actually meant to be doing but other than that the demo does a great job of showing you the gameplay mechanics on offer whilst not showing you too much to keep you excited about the final game and even the movie. As this is based on the film however, it does not follow the story of the movie it is instead a side note as it plays more or less alongside the movie from a different perspective.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

11. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    5/10 on Eurogamer, dullness galore even though the world looks nice. I wonder what James Cameron thinks of this? He wanted to make something special...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    hey how come games can't use the RealD 3d glasses? i mean they work pretty darn amazing in movie theaters, why not on my tv?...at least i'm assuming they wont work.

when i went to see xmas carol, i kept mine. heck it was $3 bucks extra, why on earth would i throw them in that recycle bin at the theater? hopefully i find a use for em

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
  14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Like i said in the section 8 thread..
    all box-office based games fail!

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Box-office? Sorry for my weak english:)

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    box-office = movie based. ;)

ign gave it 6.8, ign uk 6.0, ign au 6.8. so i guess my gut feeling 7.0 was not too far off.

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They don't work, they use a cinema only tech.

For home 3D with game you need a new 120hz monitor some expensive shutter glasses, and prob GTX295.

18. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    cool graphics but i heard this game failed

19. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    F1refly: to elaborate more on what Redemption said..... Theaters that actually offer RealD 3D using those glasses are different from a standard movie in two ways. One, the screen the movie is projected on is different in some way as to have a polarizing effect (I believe possibly a similar setup... i dunno... maybe to those motion cards where depending what angle you look at it, the picture is either different, or moved slightly). Two, they use dual projectors... to provide the basis for the polarization.... so that video from one of the projectors is only seen by one eye, and video from the second projector is seen by the other eye. That's why it looks seriously odd if you take the glasses off. The polarized glasses basically line the images up just right so that the eye sees them as the same picture, but in 3D. The glasses don't work on TV's and monitors at home, because there is only one input, and no way for the monitor to polarize.... but there is an exception.

Redemption... this is where you seem to have left something out. NVidia isn't the only company that has 3D display technology.... and others don't necessarily need 120hz refresh rates, either. You may have forgotten about the company known as IZ3D.

http://www.iz3d.com/

Yes.... it's one monitor.... but it has two display panels..... and two separate video inputs... and as far as i can gather, software that is installed on one's computer determines whether what is being displayed is a game, or is the desktop, and compensates for it. Those monitors use basically the same polarized glasses you'd get at a RealD 3D movie.

I'd seriously thought about getting one of those monitors after seeing The Final Destination in RealD...... but i don't really want to drop down to a 22" monitor. Probably the same reason i haven't gone with NVidia 3D Vision either.... cause i don't want to drop to a lower size monitor with a lower resolution... nor do i have the money for a 120hz LCD TV.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    oww that box-office... lol..how it didnt come up to m mind..thanx ;)..anyway..it was clear from the demo..dull game :(