Auzentech X-Purity/X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markk02474

Markk02474 New Member

GPU:
    none
    X-Meridian modifications

I finished some modifications on my new X-Meridian card and it sounds amazing - detail I didn't know about before! Bass is very tight and also very detailed. The only thing lacking compared to audiophile playback is dynamics. That's because of the small power supply capacitors used, but that can be fixed too ;). Few cards are decent in that regard, for example the Onkyo SE-200.

I wrote it up in avsforum, but add it here because this is about the most active forum on that card.

Here is a photo:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Markk02474/Audio/photo#5022530679249830546

You can see I upgraded the op amp to a LM4562. Next, I bypassed the DC blocking capacitors on the op amp outputs. These are the top left and right corner capacitors. The next step is bypassing the DC blocking capacitors from the differential outputs of the DAC that go to the op amps. These are the lower two capacitors on the left and right. The photo shows only the left ones done to give an idea of the right channel being step one, and left channel being step two (more advanced, more risk). You need to put a volt meter on both outputs to make sure there is not much DC voltage. The top cap change should result in 1-2 millivolts, while the second could be 25mv. These are still pretty low and safe levels.

I don't recommend you try and remove the caps to replace them with wire, its too easy to break a circuit trace. The op amp came from digikey and the wire is wire-wrap wire. I suggest a 3x or 5x magnifying desk lamp and a Vellman soldering station ($20) to make the job easier.

Did I mention that the sound is really, really good and much better than stock?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    YEah, we were talking about it in that forum.

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.