Auzentech X-Purity/X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I've never used WinAMP's EQ for anything other than to lower the preAMP a few dB to avoid distortion on some rips that don't normalize the tracks. I've got enough power to overcome the few dB loss :)

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I never used it for anything more then a slight trim. EQ's are one of the most improperly used filters in existence.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    The Auzentech's EQ I thought was quite helpful to be honest. With it set on default (everything flat at 0) I have to admit I was more than disappointed with the card. Slight "trimming" like you said did make a night & day difference though.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    People always use EQ to trim the source, that is wrong unless your composing or mastering the music. You use a EQ to equalize the playback system, to flatten the response of either your speakers or headphones. I don't care what ype of speakers or hedphones you have they will sound better with a little trim. Totally flat doesn't exist and is the ideal playback response. YOu can get it very close with a eq. The response would look similar to a slight wave. the slighter the better. When you playback system is Eq'd everything will sound good. This is the way I was taught.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    makes sense...I understand by definition EQ-ing the source vs playback system but which are which? E.g. the auzentech driver, the izotrope ozone, etc etc...are these the playback system EQ's?? If so then what are examples of EQ-ing the source?

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What I mean is trying to get a song balanced instead of getting the speakers balanced. It is hard to explain. Alot of headphones are farily close to being flat with a little bit in the bass end. The Auzen driver would be the last in the chain. So you can work with that one. If your Eq'ing the source your trying to bring certain things out of the song/music or cutting certain things. Seems all well and good until the song or music type changes. When you Eq the speakers or the headphones, all music types SHOULD sound balanced with no frequncey range out of place. Does this make sense? It's kinds hard to explain. It's a very vast subject. I did extensive reading and I still only scratched the surface. You can Eq the source to if you like, if you like to hear certain things exagerated or boosted in your music, like making the speakers Bass heavy for Rap are boosting the guitar for metal.
    It's all a matter of taste and very subjective. There you go clear as mud.

7. SoundRules

SoundRules New Member

ROBSCIX, you have been very helpful! Great job! I really appreciated that! You seem very knowledgable about all this sound stuff. I have learnt alot after reading this long post. You ever heard of Paltalk.com ? Go there & check it out. It would be so cool if you would go and create a screen name & host a chat room about this X-Meridian card. Everything is free with voice chat. 250 people can be in the same room live chatting. It the best way to spread the love! LOL! :smile:

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Not much for Group Chats thx. For you guys interested in changing your Opamps I have a package coming in later today with 3 different ypes of amps that were reccomended to me by friends with vast electronic experience related to audio, these guys build amps when they are bored..lol. I will be testing out all 3 types and doing listening tests writing my findings and deciding which type or combination of types I want to use in my card. So I will be getting:

4 X OPA2134's -Said to be very good for audio, ALG Is using these already and says the sound alot better then stock.
    4 X OPA2107's -Said to be a little better then the 2134's in that bass sounds tighter and more controlled
    4 X OPA2227's -SAid to be very clear and "analytical" sounding. figured I would try it out.

I want to try out the 4562's aswell but I will have to wait for those. I always like to improve things so I figured I would pull the card out later and play with some amps. I will let you guys know what I think about each type. For the record the specs on these amps are all basically similar but when listening to them I bet they all sound very different.

Update, I am going through each amp and doing methodical test with alot of different music types and formats. Using both headphones and speakers. I am also using a software analyzer to monitor the frequency spectrum. I will be writing down my results and what I find good about each type. I am thiking of posting my results if you guys think it may help this thread and guys interested in trying out new OPAMPS.

9. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Thanks Rob, keep us posted. Btw is it just me or does the Audioburst plugin really sound a little better than Kernel Streaming plugin for mp3? Gonna try the Ozone as well.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Audio burst seems to be the best one I have tried yet. I also use it with the mad 24 bit encoder input plugin. OMG, ALG you haven't tried Ozone? your in for a treat. The Audio burst seem to be a good match for the XM7.1 in my opinon. ALG, check your PM's

11. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    dude try Ozone you'll never go back it's just plain sick. That plus the Audioburst running at 192K sampling is the best sound I've heard thus far out of the X-Meridian for MP3s. :)

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Ozone is a great plugin for giving life back to MP3's also works for Wav's and Flac's as it's meant to model analog equipment. I like these 2134's very nice. listening right now.
    alot of improvment over stock amps. You gonna swap out your amps Nosferatu?

13. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Nah...I'm content with this. No time to tinker with it really.

14. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I've tried Ozone, it sounds good but I don't know which preset to use. Btw another great plugin for winamp is the ignore song plugin, I hate winamp's random playback, not really random IMO.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are a few different ones that I find good. Depends on your gear though. Just the stock Default is nice. Warm equipment is also nice. You just need to try them and see which ones you like the best. I am on to the 2227's now, very,very nice. Much tighter bass. I will try out the famed 2107's tommorow. The two amps I tried both dound very good it's amazing though how both can sound so good and yet sound different and have sutble tonals changes when compared to each other. I am having blast doing this.

16. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Don't make buy another set of OPAMPs lol, you know I don't have money anymore.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well the 2227's sound better to me then the 2134's but it is only subtle differences. The really good ones according to what I have bee told are the 2107's I will be trying them tommorow. I have been testing OPAMPS all day.
    I will be installing the 2107's tommorow and I will let you know what I htink about them. According to my "sources" they are very,very good for audio. I like to test though. I will keep you informed. BTW how is the new gear? how does it sound connected to the XM 7.1? check out my snd specs..

18. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Lol, my new gear is not even sent yet, nothing runs here in the weekend. Btw with my HD-595 for Ozone, I like the default without room sim preset.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you try any of the presets for headphones? I am eagar to try the 2107's those chips were about $8 a piece.

20. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    with any good pair of headphones the headphone presets suck. Other than Dolby Headphone I've yet to see any of these "headphone" EQ settings or DSP settings do anything other than make the sound horrible. Maybe it makes bad headphones sound better but with any good pair of headphones it makes them sound worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.