Auzentech X-Purity/X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Oxygen chip is the heart of the card. It would depend on what you are doing as to if you would be using the encoder or not. Playback of DVD material would already be encoded so the encoder woudn't come into play. IF your using a HT system try digital first, analog next. See which one sound better to you.
    @Rockon, The headphone technology in this card is great.
    This is a forum so everybody has an opinion. Brann gave his opinion also and he has alot more in his audio education than most of us put together..of course that is just his opinion.
    @Dontmakeme, I doubt you would find a better match for the PRICE than the Z-5500's. Given the sheer power ratings. Klipsch would also be a candidate...they are only analog.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    On the topic of the Review, I had a discussion with Brann regarding his information the cards backplane was mislabled. It is NOT. The Backplane is labled for a 7.1 speaker system. If your using 5.1 speakers you put the rear jack into the Side channel outs. This is covered in the manual. I am sure a few of us found this out the hard way..lol. The Review has been edited in that respect.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  3. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Knowing Logitech speakers, they are full of power alright. Still had to turn my bass waaay down, so as not to shake the whole house down (a bit exaggerated, but you get my drift).

As for the Klipsch speakers, they are more on the treble side. When I get the XM7.1, might pair that with a set of Klipsch or go for a HT setup to fully complement the power of XM7.1.

Geez, just itchin' to try the Dolby Headphone for watching movies since I prefer to watch 'em really loud but can't when it's late at night.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I play with it from time to time to check out the effect and show my friends. It DOES make things sound like they are behind you. I don't know what others are talking about sayig it's a reverb effect?! I seriously doubt that. The Z-5500's are great speakers from what I have been told and the reviews I have read BUT if you use digital with the X-Meridian you can only set the card to 24/96. The XM7.1 can go up to 24/192 and PC speakers and HT receivers that can handle that high grade signal are either non existant or very expensive. You got my wanting to listen to headphones..gotta go..lol

5. Brann Mitchell

Brann Mitchell Member Guru

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    As far as I know, CMSS3D and Dolby Headphone both use HRTF's (head-related transfer functions) to fool your ears into thinking that sounds are coming from all directions. The problem with HRTF's is the extreme variability of people's heads! So, some people will be fooled and some people won't. Dolby Headphone fooled me this time, but maybe it won't after an update or two.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Magnet, which do you prefer for providing a good surround effect DH, or CMSS3D? Some people claim to love CMSS 3D which is supposed to be based on MIT'S HRTF reseach others hate CMSS for headphones. I Personally love DH as it can make me think things are behind me then it does it's job very well.

7. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    [​IMG]

Well the razer drivers work perfect on my X-M. no mods to the drivers either. but quickly found out that the c-media drivers are alot easier to setup + have more options to play with. but then again those razer drivers looked nice

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would think if all funcation work the drivers must be based heavily on the Reference drivers. Only changes are cosmetic. I like the XM7.1 drivers they are very easy to use. The could have a little more flash to them but functionality and stability are the main concerns.

9. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra

Download PowerDVD and pop in a DVD (or any file with a Dolby 5.1 sound source) and you can play with Dolby Headphone right away...no special sound card required for it in that program (it's built-in sofware). :) It's where I first found out about it and fell in love with it. :) (you could also adapt it to run in foobar2K but that involves some toying around and I don't know what the rules are here about discussing that type of stuff so we'll leave it at that). Point being...you can try out the technology before ya get the card. :p

Just for regular music listening on headphones honestly the best for me is NO DSP effects and just jam them as is. I'm shocked how hard they are driven. :D

10. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    yea the drivers are basically the same with a new look. it took me about 5 min to uninstall them because i found the c-media drivers better laid out even though they are ugly as heck.

11. Brann Mitchell

Brann Mitchell Member Guru

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    Well, we're talking about an effect that is highly dependent on your ears... so I like the one that works. CMSS3D has never worked too well for me (possibly because I need an MIT egghead?), but the Dolby Headphone worked well enough to impress.

12. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    what cables would you guys recommend for the analog connection to the z5500 speakers?

13. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    shielded wires would be best. and make sure you dont run them by power mains, or power cables.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just use good quality cables and you can also change the Speaker wires for the speakers as companies usually skimp out on these wires so replaceing them is usually a good idea.

15. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    You bought the b-Enspirer right? You should test first which connection will give you a better sound from the Z-5500, actually the digital of the Z-5500 is really not bad, for me it is better than some sound cards(here X-Fi, I found out the hard way). The X-Meridian is not the same card as the b-Enspirer eventhough they share some same specs and even when the SNR is the same, the sound difference could be huge(here again the X-Fi, and again I found out the hard way). Btw sound is really subjective, if it is good for me doesn't mean that it'll be good for you. For me the sound from the analogue of the X-Meridian is really good but I still think that a good HT receiver will easily beat the X-Meridian eventhough the DD/DTS encoding is lossy(ask nosferatu about this).

Edit: Actually I never bought my X-Meridian for the analogue output, I have the X-Plosion before and I really love the sound of my Z-5400 in digital but my X-Plosion has compatabilty issue with my mobo so when Auzentech came out with the new X-Purity, I thought that I want the card because it uses a different chip than the X-Plosion, maybe it won't have problems with my mobo and I could use a better analogue connection but never thought that it'll be better than the Logitech's digital. I placed an order on the first day of the upgrade program but later changed to the free shipping offer because I found out that sending my X-Plosion from Europe will also cost me about $50. I bought the X-Fi because I saw some measured RMAA result and it doesn't differ much from the X-Meridian so I thought that it will also be better than my Logitech's digital and I could use the hardware acceleration of the card but I found out my Z-5400 will sound better in digital than in analgue with the X-Fi. For me the X-Meridian and X-Plosion sound the same in digital with the Z-5400.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006

16. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Welp after some tweaking I gotta say analog output > digital output for headphones...wow with some EQ playing to tune them in just right she rips just as hard...if not harder...than when in digital mode running through my receiver. Plus sound separation from the right & left channel is way more pronounced in analog vs digital on the headphones. For speakers I'll stick with the DTS Interactive. :cool:

Who in their right mind would wanna change these OPAMPs...they rock as is. :p

17. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Erm... Me I guess... Actually playing with the eq does help improving the sound, I never thought of changing the eq for different speakers. Now not only my headphones sound good, my Z-5400 is also not bad even it is still in digital(I'm too lazy to change the stereo jack and still didn't buy a Y-splitter lol)

18. DontMakeMeEatU

DontMakeMeEatU Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gt
    So get the z5500 or z5400?

19. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Between the Z-5400 and Z-5500, the Z-5500 sounds better but I would say that if only for the X-Meridian the cheaper Z-5300e(Z-5500's speakers+Z-5400's woofer without the digital receiver) is good enough as the analogue would sound better than logitech's digital. I would rather buy a better analogue speaker than a similiar priced Logitech's digital speaker if I only want to use it with the X-Meridian, but if you want to use the speaker with consoles, then the Z-5500 will be the best bet.

20. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    What you are saying is the logitech z5300e is a good and cheaper alternative if you are not going to go digital connection because it still has a nice analogue connection? If so then damn nice.

On a side note where do you actually put the back speakers? I mean if you aren't close enough to a backwall and have no tables etc, are there telescopic stands with these?

Off topic, I have asked a bunch of places but no real answer. Are floppy drives used for anything besides RAID drivers now and really old floppy disc games?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.