Auzentech X-Meridian and game support

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Per Hansson, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @darkpeg, does that give you software OpenAL? wonder why that works?

2. darkpegisus

darkpegisus Member

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 512MB SLI
    Do not know, but it only works for Doom3. It maybe because Doom3 wasn't supposed to be an openal game at all. I really don't know, all that matters that i have 5.1 sound in the game.

3. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    How about seta s_useOpenAL "0"? Maybe you can't get a surround sound because OpenAL is not supported and forcing it would only give a stereo sound.

4. darkpegisus

darkpegisus Member

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 512MB SLI
    I don't know why it works but it does.

setting seta s_useOpenAL "0" you get stereo sound.
    setting seta s_useOpenAL "1" you get 5.1 sound.

and this only works for Doom3.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Possibly the OpenAL engine in the game is software based. In which case it would work with anycard. Similar to that demo posted. Another cool thing for software based OpenAL.

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS G92
    darkpegisus; thnx, that works... Got sound in my rear speakers now when not facing a talking NPC...

But I think it just mirrors my front speakers to my rear speakers... Didn't have time to test it much though... Need to go to bed, work early :(

I'm also going to look into World of Warcraft tomorrow, thanks for the tips!

7. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    You're talking about one Object, not like OpenAL in Battlefield 2 or America's Army with MANY objects:) The amount of data would be like trying to send True HD over a Serial Bus, ain't happenin'.

Doom 3 had OpenAL added but the rest had it from the ground up. Doom 3 can do 5.1 without the Patch. Comparing a Demo to a Full blown game is like comparing Win95 to WinXP Pro 64bit edition.

Since 1999 OpenAL has added a lot:) EAX5 can be ran with OpenAL BTW LOL! That's why Game Voice and other EAX 5.0/4.0 run in Battlefield 2.

OpenAL can be licensed. There's no magic or code to be broken.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Are you trying to convice us or yourself?

9. Per Hansson

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS G92
    Tried the settings now, didn't work :(

Lowering the acceleration level "fixes" my reverb problem; with the backside of it also completely disabling reverb :(

But thanks for the tips anyway...

10. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    Same question to you:) Hehehe!

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I couldn't care less really. I have awsome sound that is all I care about. The company say's they are developing OpenAL support so we shall see.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    Long post warning!

But you would care if you knew what you're talking about. OpenAL is a standard feature and not something Creative Labs locked out other companies from using. Maybe they should just ask Intel or AMD if they have drivers since that's who'll end up doing it anyway LOL!

OpenAL.org

Platforms

Please note, XBox and XBox 360 support OpenAL even though folks keep posting that they don't.

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=147

. This device is the fallback solution that will be used if no other devices are available. The Generic Hardware device provides an emulation of OpenAL on top of Direct Sound 3D, and provides hardware acceleration on any soundcard that has Direct Sound 3D drivers, and supports a minimum of 16 Hardware 3D Voices. Finally, there are Native OpenAL drivers available for soundcards such as the Sound Blaster Audigy and X-Fi series of cards. The native devices offer the best in terms of performance and features.[/QUOTE]

Again, one Object or even low-level 16 voice can't be done by the processor. Even if it were, there would be latency. NOT what I saw but what been proved since OpenAL showed up in 1999. Even on nForce 1. The more effects are added, the more or higher the latency is added.

Source Code

It is OpenAL after-all LOL!

Titles

Some applications which use OpenAL:

Albert's Armageddon (FreeBSD, Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Alien Abduction (Windows)
    Alien Flux (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    America's Army: Operations (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Armed Assault (Windows)
    A Tale in the Desert II (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Battlefield 2 (Windows)
    Battlefield 2142 (Windows)
    Battle Just Started (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Blast Miner (Windows)
    Blender 3D (FreeBSD, Irix, Linux, Macintosh, Solaris, Windows)
    Bridge Construction Set (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Call of Juarez (Windows)
    Cold War (Linux, Windows)
    Dark Horizons: Lore (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    D-Bug (Windows)
    Doom 3 (Macintosh, Windows)
    Dungeons & Dragons Online (Windows)
    El Matador (Windows)
    Escape From Monkey Island (Macintosh)
    E.V.E. Paradox (Linux, Windows)
    FlightGear (FreeBSD, Linux, Macintosh, sgi, Solaris, Windows)
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Windows)
    Gish (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Macintosh, Windows)
    Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2 (Linux)
    Hot Potato Online (Linux, Windows)
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (Macintosh, Windows)
    Jedi Knight 2 (Macintosh, Windows)
    Kohan (Linux)
    Lineage 2 (Windows)
    Mage Knight: Apocalypse (Windows)
    Marble Blast (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Massive Assault (Macintosh)
    MegaCorps Online (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Minigolf Mania (Windows)
    Minions of Mirth (Macintosh, Windows)
    Myst Online: Uru Live (Windows)
    Novus Aster (Windows)
    Orbz (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Pariah (Windows)
    PlaneShift (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Postal 2 (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Prey (Windows)
    Psychonauts (Windows)
    Quake 4 (Windows)
    RocketBowl (Windows)
    Saints and Sinners Bowling (Windows)
    Shellshock Nam '67 (Windows)
    Skyrocket Screensaver (Linux, Windows)
    Soldier of Fortune (Linux)
    Soldier of Fortune 2 (Windows)
    Star Wars Republic Commando (Windows)
    Stubbs the Zombie (Macintosh, Windows)
    Super Dudester (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    SuperTux (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    SWAT 4 (Windows)
    Tactile 3D (Windows)
    Think Tanks (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Tribal Trouble (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Trigger (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Tribes 2 (Linux)
    Tribes: Vengeance (Windows)
    Ultratron (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Unreal 2 (Windows)
    Unreal Tournament 2003 (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Unreal Tournament 2004 (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    VegaStrike (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Void War (Windows)
    Wurm Online (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    X2: The Threat (Linux)
    X3: Reunion (Windows)
    X-Plane (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
    Zap! (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)

Some of the Games, not all. They also have listenings for Game Engines and etc.... You're making this wayyyyyyyyy to personal to be objective.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am making it too personal? -I said I don't care either way. Your still rambling on about this card having or not having OpenAL support and you don't even own one!! So who is being objective here? I already told you if I want OpenAL I can have it so I couldn't care less. If it's developed or not. Why do you care so much if we believe you? I seem to understand the subject allitte more then you do I think. Man o Man, the XM 7.1 sounds better get over it!

14. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    I know you know a lot but you're simply blinded LOL! Look at your comments about X-Fi 2 for example? "Knowing Creative........." you don't know jack $hit, hehehe! Let's just wait and see if it sucks or not. If it is just a rip-off, I'll join you in bad mouthing them. Why would you want to paste yourself into a corner like that? If its better will you admit to being wrong?

You can't get Full effects with OpenAL or EAX and the 3rd party drivers suck. Your A2V doesn't support the latest anyway. At least alg7 has X-Fi. The KX stuff kills too much functionality but we know that already uh?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  15. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I forgot when was the last time I used my X-Fi. The bad thing about OpenAL and EAX is they always want you to buy a new sound card, now X-Fi has EAX 5, I think that the X-Fi 2 will definitely have EAX 6.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Bad thing about the X-fi is it doesn't sound as good as the X-Meridian.
    No matter how much you babble on it's doesn't change that fact. You say your into audio but you have very BAD ears. You don't seem to listen. I personally don't keep up on Creative cards anymore. They aren't good enough for what I want. Once again, I DON"T CARE! -say it with me SLOWLY now...who cares?
    I bought this card becasue it sound better then the X-fi. why do you keep babbling about this? -go play a game or something.
    It's funny you saying I know nothing, but you quote me incorrectly and your in a thread talking about a card you know nothing about.
    BTW, ALG, I decided to stick with the 2107's Clarity is outstanding. Very nice soundstage. I have to connect up the analyzer later and review the specs again to see what the card out is actually at now.

17. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    This may be more like Audigy 1 to 2 but look at the difference between Audigy 2 ZS and X-Fi? Or between A1 and A2ZS? Even as folks are WRONGLY told HERE otherwise, those are nice jumps. Maybe X-Fi 2 is just X-Fi with DTS Connect? Or just better DACs and connectivity? IMHO, it's too soon for EAX6, I'd always heard that wasn't due until 2008 or so. What if there's an X-Fi 2 with better DACs, ADS, and DTS? Then what?

But if this is just a BS marketing move, I'll jump them just like with X-Fi Xtreme Audio LOL!:mad:
    A1 to A2
    32HW voices compared to 64HW voices
    EAX3 to 4
    97db(?)to 106db
    Most importantly, much better drivers.

Why would some folks stick with an Audigy 2/V and not upgrade to a X-Fi but spend almost $200 and feel they got a good deal;) I'd easily buy my X-Fi again if given a do over.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I got info from a buddy reviewing the RC 1.0 drivers for the X-fi two. He can run them on a X-fi 1 so that shows it contains the same 20KX dsp. If there was anything new the drivers would show it. Just a revision card. I figured they would do something considering the sound quality of the Meridian cannot be touched by X-fi. Everytime I turn the card on I know I got a good deal.
    I guess you would have to play a game or something and hope it contains the proper audio technologies to be able to say the same right?

19. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    No matter how much you babble about XMeridian, it doesn't sound as good in MOST GAMES as the X-Fi LOL:grin: You can try and change that FACT as much as you like but you're just digging a deeper hole. Even alg7 can tell you I NEVER said anything about X-Fi sounding better for music and even back him on another forum.

You should maybe uninstall that Audigy 2 Value, install an X-Fi and validate your views. Just like using a better Platform to talk about Drivers, Setup, Troubleshooting and SCP. It would be like me owning one the lesser Cmedia cards and acting like I knew more about X-Meridian because I did.

If you don't keep up with Creative Cards, you should limit your Bashing. :mad:

20. Per Hansson

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS G92
    Donnie27; I have an idea for you, create your own thread where you bash whatever you are jealous of not having

This thread is about a specific issue with a specific soundcard, if you have nothing to add you can please STFU

I wonder how it is that the X-fi is so much better than the X-Meridian when every single review I have seen comparing the two has said the Auzentech card wins... Oh yea, they are all probably wrong... That's probably it...