Auzentech X-fi Forte 7.1 Soundcard review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 25, 2009.

1. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Nice review, looking foward to this card as i dont want to deal with creative drivers but im intersted on having still EAX support aswell as the package with the hp amp etc seems pretty impressive.

Just wondering if this card has the crackling sound that X-FI cards have shown under Vista64?

Actually, the Cretaive X-fi's have demonstrated crackling under many conditions. The Auzen cards are different, as the design is not the same at all. I know people who had crackling Creative X-fi's only to have the issues dissapear when snapping in a Auzen X-fi. There was no crackling or any other anamalies during any testing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Great review mate. Can't wait for the HD card review...thats the one I want!

3. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    I agree with Rob... if I had the choice to make over agian I waould choose the Forte... but for a diff reason. Here near toronto I can get the Forte for 162 dollars. The prelude is 210 dollars. Kinda confusing since they are essentially the same card as clarified above by Rob, and the prelude is older. Not sure why the pricing is the way it is..... :confused:

Zyro

The Prelude is a proven design and very popular. The Forte while a great soundcard is still new and not that weel known. It seems everybody knows what a Prelude is. Just the supply and demand thing, I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    same here in australia, price i saw forte is about AUD$40 cheaper than the prelude...that's why i wasn't sure if prelude was meant to be better in any way

5. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Looks like we're in the same boat lol

The only theory I can come up with is that the prelude may cost more to manufacture. It is physically larger than the forte and seems to have more capacitors etc on it.

I'm reaching with that theory I know but its the only way I can make sense of it

Zyro

6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    yea that seems to be the only logical explanation...the fact that it uses less material to manufacture

7. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Question about analog outputs

I was checking the review, and although its very detailed, i have some questions about the analog outputs, if you could elaborate more on them.

I see 6 cables coming out of the VGA alike conector, which seems amazing since i have very big 1/8 cables (not standard, like HIFI cables) so this plays great since they wont be attached or restricted by the PCI plate.

1) Im wondering how is the conectivity, while i can see 6 cables coming out, just wondering if all dual or stereo analog outputs, im askign because audigy2 had a tripple one , which made it a pain to draw the signal out to my reciever. Im guessing out of the 6 cables, 1 is mic, 1 is headphone (analog none amplified), and the remaining 4 are: one for fronts (Left n Right), one for surround (Left n Right), one for back surround (Left n Right), and one for middle speaker and sub. But thats just my guess, is that how it is?

2) I see 2 heaphone outputs, one in the PCI plate (I think this is the applified) and one in the analog outputs. Questions is, what happens when the amped one gets connected, does the analog one still work or does it shutdown all the other outputs. Im asking this becuase i have a headphone amp already but i dont like to cut the analog signal, so i think i might use the analog outputs, but still wondering how it works.

3) I was checkign newegg reviews, while yours is incredible, there are some comments there that took my attention http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16829156010

While this more than just a gaming sound card, my main function will be games, and mic is a very important aspect of my gaming. Just wondering since you just reviewed it, did you tried the mic while playing games?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. OugaBooga

OugaBooga New Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI'd
    yea, thx for the review & clearing up that the prelude & forte are basically the same.
    I have had my prelude for 2 1/2yrs & was about to purchase a forte from NCIX for $99 after 10$ MIR.
    In the future i would like to tri sli & my prelude currently takes up that space.
    THX again.

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Old review dude. Anyway the reason the forte is smaller is because it needs less power regulation due to being on the pci-x slot.

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    u mean it's on the PCIe slot? I'm pretty sure rarely any consumer motherboard will have PCI-X slots as they were designed for servers.

deltatux

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    sorry yes you are right.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    PCI-X is becoming more mainstream though.

@Uncle Pappi, the reason the Forte is smaller is because it was designed for Small Form Factor PC's. I have a few PCI-E cards that are full size.

13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well, seems I was wrong again lol, yes it was intended to be for SFF PC's I agree. Actually I just worded it incorrectly what I meant was that the reason they were able to make it so small was less power regulation. That's not the only reason they were able to get it so small but one of the main ones.

14. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    Honnestly I'm wondering if there's a difference other than the fact it handles PCI-E on the 20K2 revision as if you look at the Guru's HTHD review, they compare the cpu usage of that card vs the Prelude and the difference is really big so unless there's something magic in the HTHD card, I wonder why such a difference.

Just ordered my Forte today after having sold my Prelude. Will receive it tomorow and hopefuly I won't get the crackling some people are saying they had when the card was next to the VGA, and that my HD4870 won't heat much more with the decreased airflow.

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I get mouse noise and vga noise on my forte.. I've learned to live with it, it's really faint but when my house is completely silent you hear it

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Holy thread necromancy Batman!

After seeing this thread again I've been thinking about when I should replace my X-Fi Xtreme Music card.

Would I even be able to tell the difference going from an X-Fi XM to an X-Fi Forte? I'm not even sure if my equipment is good enough to be able to output any audible difference. I use Logitech G51 speakers and V-Moda Vibe earphones...

17. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    I replaced my Xtreme Music with a Prelude years ago and today I replaced my Prelude with a Forte since it barrely cost me anything, it's smaller, it haves a headphone amp and I think the 20K2 revision of the X-Fi chip have better hardware acceleration. When I switched from Creative to Auzentech I had the Logitech Z-5500 which are clearly better than the G51 and to be honnest I don't think there was much of a difference or else it's just too long ago so I can remember. I was also less "audiophile" back then. I thought it sounded better with the Prelude when I started using the optical output for DTS Connect but I just learned here that it's actualy worse lol.

Honnestly what I'd tell you is this:
    - Don't upgrade to the Forte UNLESS you get at least 80-100$ for urs first.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Well the closest thing to the Xtreme Music still around is the Xtreme Gamer and new ones of those seem to be going for $90-$100 so I doubt I would be able to get much for the XM card. Whenever I get a new sound card I'll likely give this one to a friend.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Prelude and forte sound very similar, if there was a difference I doubt you would hear it using anything from logitech.

To note, the XM would have much better sound quality then either of those cards you mentioned. Replace the opamps if you haven't.

If you sell it, they are still very sought after cards for HT...you can get a good price for them.

20. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Well I upgraded from the extreme music to the forte and use audio technica AD700 hp's and noticed a HUGE bump in clarity from top to bottom. It's really no comparison. On the other hand I didn't notice much difference hooked up to my Creative 3300 2.1 speakers, you have to really listen to hear the difference but it's there. It really matters if you have speakers or headphones that can reproduce the added clarity the upgrade will bring.