Auzentech Prelude Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by davaid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well, I am not sure what you are reading or from where. I know it was mentioned in our review. The basic layout of DSP and X-Ram is the same on this card as others.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The X-Fi has to have ram in order to perform local processing.
    It is mostly redundant without any memory so it has 2MB.

They may or may not have X-Ram, for storing game sounds and for midi.

3. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    was yours rob, dam sure it was not mentioned, but i bet i missed it unless this was added later?, it seems the norm at moment for me to miss deep Tech stuff at moment :bang:

Not all Xfi cards have the X-ram you no.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did say "They may or may not have X-Ram".

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It was mentioned. In the electronics overview along with the DSP in the same shot and section. IIRC, the card is sporting 16MB of X-Ram.
    From the review

"X-Ram, There seems to be a great deal of misconception regarding the function of X-Ram and if it is even used in games. The X-Ram can perform any number of features from allowing the DSP to decode compressed audio or acts as a cache or storage for in game sounds.

Games actually started using lower quality samples and heavy compressions because the audio hardware did not have the power to use high quality samples. Newer cards and X-RAM were aimed at allowing game houses to use high quality samples by using the X-RAM for buffering, caching, storage or pre-decoding."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    my bad mate.

ah no worrys, but the last X-ram game i can remember that properly used was BF2142, do you no of any game being released that will use X-ram as that would be interesting.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Another common misconception that no games use X-Ram. In fact, OpenAL games use X-Ram by default. No extra programming is required.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would think there would be some increase as to how much it would be is another question.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Food for a new article? :D

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Perhaps, you never know.

12. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    never new OpenAL used X-ram:3eyes:, you think this would be plastered all over there main site to advertise this, even auzentechs. and there is a few OpenAL games out there as well ,
    that may also explane why UT3 is so loud on the sub, even speaker levels, even though i have used an Spl meter to level everything, Bioshock thats around the same base levels as well but not as heavy as UT3.

Nice one will have a read at that. :) cheap rubbish Titanium card though, X-lads should of used a proper card say like the Prelude :mhp:

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hey nice card and amp you have there ;)

14. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    yea touch wood no issues with the 875 had it since 2007, i did update the Firmware myself to 1.07 though, i see your from uk the Sub i use is a BK Monolith so when i play UT3 it gets a tad rumbley :)

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Haha, I use a Monolith as well!

It may help you to turn bass redirection on for music and turn it off for games and 5.1 movies.
    This is how I use mine.

To get more bass with music, I use the +15dB setting, then I can use a lower volume bass setting (edit: Subwoofer level) overall.
    +15dB gets turned off when you turn off bass redirection so games and movies arent overblown using the new lower bass setting (Subwoofer level).

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The info is out there if you research. If the game use the OpenAL API and your card has X-Ram, then it is being used by default for buffering, caching..etc
    Why would X-Ram have anything to do with the volume of the signal?
    Not sure what you mean there.

We are getting a bit off topic...

17. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    everything is bang on for games/films ect mate just the odd Eax title, also mine is around -2DB on the AVR as between 0 - 6 -DB is best for the Monolith i never go above or blow this , at +15 you must be running hot:)

also i am using the Analog out side for games (sounds better:))using the THX console for this as well, and Spdif for films is fine.

i did look, there is not much on X-ram i mean would it just not be easier to have this info on there site, X-ram is not pushed as much as it should by the link above,
    my last 2 cards had X-ram i.e the re-serial numbered creative cards, one was first release this only had one Memory on the fatality, then it got replaced on warranty and that had 2 memorys, i only really got X-ram for BF games namely 2142,

not sure why some EAXHD games are louder (mainly Sub bass) But they are, may be due to samples/sounds added to ram, not sure i no one thing it is a more cleaner Bass.

you should test this out on your avr/sub next time on a test or something.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, there is not much direct info out there about X-Ram.
    I can see a game being louder because of internal game settings or the engine used..etc but the loudness of the game would have nothing to do with the X-Ram. I have a receiver but it is not used in my existing system as I am currently using discrete class D amplifiers.
    I change my system more then others so I may build a receiver into my next system.

19. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    agreed not enough info on this tech or any madness, games sound levels are around the same on all games, thing is Directsound 3d games the sound levels are the same as none Eax ect games but as soon as i enable Eax5HD games everything are louder on the sub, not complaining as it sounds better just beefier sound, just thought that x-ram would be apart of that, easy fix though just turn Avr down to level i normally play, would be nice to why though or even a test mate.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Heh, you're right, oops!
    You should see how hard it is to set up deep bass in this room.
    Anything from 30Hz down literally evaporates through the wooden walls.
    Luckily my main speakers are good to near 30Hz so I set the subs crossover to 30Hz and boost it a bit, then turn the Preludes subwoofer level down and give +15dB for music.
    This is a great way to compensate for the bloody wooden walls.
    Yeah, it seems I forgot I have to do this so my settings wouldnt suit anyone else probably :blush:

I use Analogue for everything except Blu Ray.
    Hi Def audio on Blu Ray needs a soundcard with a PAP (Protected Audio Path).
    Luckily my gfx cards HDMI audio has a PAP :)