Auzentech Prelude Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by davaid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    Now (80HZ) the bass is fine, even on the satelites, now i will probably search for better cables for speaker, than defaut logitech speakers cables, and maybe for better analog mini jack x3?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If your main speakers cant respond down to 80Hz, some music will be missing bass tones.
    You can test the frequency response with this wav file
    http://www.burninwave.com/#lowsweep
    The file you want is named freq20-200.wav.

As the sweep goes up, the sound volume should remain around the same level.
    If it goes very quiet at any point, there will be a hole in the sound.
    Adjust the bass frequency and amplitude so the frequency sweep sounds as even as possible.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The 80Hz bass redirection setting removes the bass frequencies from the sats and send them to the subwoofer.
    If the Z5500 are a "THX certified" set then I would think you set it to 80 Hz as that is the setting for THX certified subwoofer. -So I have read and IIRC, Creative cards show that point for THX. Might be off on that.
    I agree though using a sweep is a good way to set up the frequency.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That would be a good idea. Many times factories will put very cheap wire in the box for the speaker wire and low quality cables for the interconnects.
    Good wires would help just don't expect large gains.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Agreed, I was wondering if the Sats have a decent response down to 80Hz though.
    Given that they are specced to use 120Hz crossover, it seems doubtful that they can, hence there may be missing bass frequencies.

The specs seem to vary, some places state the internal crossover (used for digital) is at 120hz, others say 150Hz.
    When using analogue, you get to choose the crossover point but I imagine theres good reason for them using such a high internal crossover.
    Heres a 150Hz spec:
    http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speaker-General-Discussion/Z-5500-specifications/m-p/268829

This makes me heavily doubt that the satellites can respond down to 80Hz.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The high internal crossover is so there is a clean crossover between the sub and sats.
    The 120-150HZ mark is probably right for the sub and sats they use.
    It may be better to set it higher, I guess it is up to him and what sounds good to his ears. I usually set min around 100-120 but I don't use small plastic 1 way sats.

7. lukas_1987_dion

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    Bass Freq.

Thank you, i tested it, and bass sounds at the same volume level for all 10sec. at 80Hz, and for my ears Z-5500 sounds good at this frequency. So i will probably stay with that frequency. Now my settings are: system volume 67%, bass & treble 67%, crystalizer on, eax off, EQ off. All this in entertainment mode - and without any distortion :banana:

Edit: At bass redirection option OFF, bass is even greater at satellites... So bass frequency on the z5500 at default is probably other than 80Hz

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You do not want bass going to the sats though as they cannot handle it....that is why you have Bass redirection.
    However, set it up as you like.

9. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    Lukas, can I ask why you have Crystalizer on and EAX off? What made you go with those settings?

10. lukas_1987_dion

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    Mr._Murphy - because When i enable Crystalizer, sound is better for me, and EAX i have enabled ONLY in some games.
    Analog is better for music mode, but for game mode i will probably use Optical Digital DTS on Prelude.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would think analog would be better for gaming also instead of compressed DTS-C routine. Your system though.

12. lukas_1987_dion

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    ROBSCIX - thank you, you have right, but games like Mass Effect 2 or Resident Evil 5 sounds slighty better on optical digital dts (i can hear any sounds on digital. On analog i must turn volume up, but even then the sound is not that clear like on digital+dts5.1, but not at all games) , but older games sounds better on analog. I will do more tests...

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Digital out is the same as having the PC at full volume, that is why it is louder.
    Set the Windows sound level to max on analogue.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, people equate louder with sounding better.
    However, it is a preference.

15. lukas_1987_dion

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    But at windows system volume at 100% i have distortion, but now i have 65% system volume at analog, in game mode enabled + crystalizer on, eax on, eq on, bass redirection at 80hz and cmss3d on at 50% (and all this i have settings activated for better sounds in games), and sound is now better at this settings than on analog without distortion! Finally some succes! :)

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah yes, I forgot you had distortion at higher volume.
    I'm glad you have it sussed now :)

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You cannot turn the PRelude up to 100%....the card has hot outputs. 50-65 percent is about max volume.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You're right for many but there are exceptions, my amp is great at 100% on analogue (default opamps).
    I forgot he had trouble with it.

19. kimosabi

kimosabi Member

GPU:
    P.Color 5870 PCS
    How healthy is it for an external amp to run the in signal from the 3.5mm jacks?

Reason I'm asking is that I bought a Denon 510 today and I was pretty sure my Prelude had analog RCA on the back. How wrong I was. LOL

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Prelude has hot outputs so it is good to remember that as it can damage some gear. Some devices will be OK, but this card can over drive others causing distortion. It depends but the card does not have line level inputs at 100%, it is actually around double normal line level.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010