Auzentech Prelude Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by davaid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    It depends on the person and there equpiment. But I do hear a diffents back on the prelude and still even now on this card.

2. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    What speakers do you have? What kind of difference do you hear?

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I use my Ultrasone HFI-780 when I listen to music,I dont know how to explain it. Cant even think of words to post to explain it.

Then I also have Dual OPA627AU in my HDAV13 and what not so it also would make it harder.

4. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    I have used the winamp asio plugin in the past without asio4all. Did you have your control panel set to audio creation mode?

5. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Entertainment mode.

6. cricket bones

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Well, the asio driver is active in audio creation mode. Yeesh. You went and installed asio4all when all you need was to switch modes.

You'll know that the winamp plugin is working when the volume control does nothing, since the software layer is bypassed. You'll need to use the main volume control in windows.

There is a sound quality difference to my ears, but it's debatable and subjective to other ears, I'm sure. It's not a big enough enhancement that I use it on a daily basis, but I have tried it in the past to see if winamp could do it.

7. terranaut

terranaut Member

GPU:
    580gtx
    I upgraded the OPAMPS and have my prelude going analog into a rotel digital amp with m&k speakers, and using ASIO in winamp definitely improves on sound quality. the music sounds wider and yet each instrument/voice sounds more focused from its 'spot' on the soundstage, and a few other things that when added up make a definitive difference, back when i first got the rotel in november i had over a dozen people all do A/B blind comparisons, and everyone (listening to ther own style of music) picked ASIO over no-ASIO in winamp.

theres some setting in that ASIO plugin that allows you to control the volume within winamp, i dont know if its the 'alternate volume control' or which one as im not in front of it right now, but one of them lets volume control work in winamp. . .

8. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Ok i'll try with just winamp asio plug in and creation mode.
    Did you play it in creation mode terranaut too?
    I could change the volume with winamp, so i guess that asio was actually off.

9. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Even in creation mode, it still buzz. Do you have vista or xp?

10. cricket bones

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Buzz? I don't get any buzz in xp or vista. Are you using headphones?

11. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Glad it worked out for ya man :)

Sweet! I wonder if this somehow will do anythin for my increasing audio lag over optical issue.

Wow thats really interesting. I have installed no plugins of any kind and use winamp for all my music -24bit mode selected- and my volume behaves EXACTLY as you describe WITH the plugin installed. I have to adjust volume either from windows volume panel, auzen control panel or from within winamp. Its weird that its behaving this way without the plugin installed....I thought it was just supposed to be like that lol

Zyro

12. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Hifi system on my desk. I only have it with asio without asio4all. And it's very strong. It's not a continous buzz, but i dunno how to express it in words.

13. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Are you using the digital out on the soundcard? If so you can just use bit-matched playback with winamp volume disabled or set to 100%. Downside is the sample rate won't automatically change to match the source, it has to be changed manually.

14. Ratix

Ratix Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 9600 xt
    Analog outputs.

15. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Yee-Haa :D

Today I did some funky new install. Daniel's pack first, then his update for the newest drivers. Then... Alchemy was missing ;) So I had to edit some files of the still available download at Auzen to get the most actual 1.20 version from Creative working. Well, it does work now :) Pretty amazing sound, all the features one could ever dream of. Glad he did this pack!

17. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Update for new drivers you say?! I'm not sure I have that pack... has he recently updated it -I'm goin to the post i refered you to as we speak so this might be a useless question lol-

Have a link so I can have a look see?

Good job on the mish mash driver install :) Obi-Wan has taught U well lol

Zyro

18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    I got the link from over here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=288948

Seems he used part of the driver from the Forte for that additional pack. I was totally happy that the Alchemy install worked so nicely. I know I tried "modding" an Alchemy pack before and it didn't work out as nicely.
    Great features, great driver so far :) Maybe I should try to pack this myself so I can use it again later on.

19. yonggoh

yonggoh New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8600GS
    hello everyone,

am new to these forums, so be easy on me :)
    I have a X-Fi Prelude which I have hooked up on a Onkyo TX-SR606 Reciever which sends out sounds to a 5.1 Mission Speaker Setup.
    The inputs/outs of the onkyo are as follows:
    http://www.dailygame.net/images/hardware/Onkyo_TXSR606/Onkyo_TX-SR606_02.jpg

Initially I used a toslink/optical cable to connect the card to the reciever and I was happy. Everything sounded 'nice'. My reciever even has a Dolby Digital Icon that lights up when things are connected this way.
    However reading much info on the forums, there is a consensus that optical cable is limited to merely 2-channel PCM and not using the on board prelude DACs. why does my reciever pick up Dolby-Digital then??? hmmm...

I seeing that my reciever has RCA slots to recieve analog, i decided to give these a go...
    So i used THREE 3.5mm->RCA cables(i think some call these Y-Cables) as follows:

1) Front (Red & White input) (from sound card 3.5mm output "FRONT")
    2) Surr (Grey & Blue input) (from sound card 3.5mm output ("SIDE SURROUND")
    3) Center (Green input) & Subwoofer (Purple input) (from sound card 3.5mm output "CENTER S.WOOFER")

Now when i do the "noise test" in the Auzen X-Fi console i can only get sound to come out from two front speakers, no sound from the surrounds, center and sub
    ...what gives?

Console has 5.1 configuration and i'm using the latest driver from the auzentech site that was released last week...

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    welcome to the forums, yonggoh.

I'm thinking your problem might be that something could be configured incorrectly.... either with the reciever or with the sound options for the X-Fi. As to what, i'm not sure. I know for our Yamaha reciever, we have to press the DVD button twice... once is just for i believe stereo input, or being connected with a single cable somehow. When we bought our current BluRay player, it was connected with the individual RCA cables, which i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't play to all the speakers. Turns out pressing the DVD output selection again switched it to 6-Channel output, and it worked.

As for optical.... what you've read is correct. Analog connections process sound using the sound card itself. Connecting the reciever to the sound card with SPDIF, i believe be it Coax or Optical, uses the reciever's audio processing hardware. Your reciever's Dolby Digital light probably lights up because it supports DD when an optical cable is connected.