Auzen X-fi Home Theater 7.1 HDMI 1.3!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jun 16, 2008.

1. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Yeah, misread a bit of that...

Still, the point is that EAX 5 effects are able to be simulated on ASUS cards by intercepting the EAX calls and interpreting them as something the card can understand. Hows that any different then Alchemy? Plus, you don't need to worry about weather Alchemy supports said game...

EAX was a necessity only when sound processing had fallen flat on its face. Even my aged Razer Barracuda can handle 128 voices per channel, so it isn't like EAX5 is even that decent a spec anymore. Heck, I know a few games (CoH) that use 128 voices without having to resort to a third party spec like EAX. It served its purpose, but now EAX does is monopolize the market.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I know all of this, I was saying Eax wasnt dead thats all and how could be done thru openal and fmod. Thats all I said. Dont use EAX then if you dont care about it. But theres other people who would not agree with you. they shouldnt be forced to either with you repeating your lines til they do.

I not saying I still care about eax, only thing I care about is DSGX it self, the eax5 emulation was extra function. as I would had careless if the cards couldnt do that either. As I would had kept my prelude if I was picky with eax.

Also there games which doesnt like GX be on a few of those games are the same ones alchemy dont work with. I can name some of them off the top of my head. Koei's Shadow warriors2, warriors ochi and Dynasty warriors 6, if GX is on the game with crash with looping sound. which it did the same thing with alchemy.

So not all games is perfect with GX just like alchemy theres ones that will throw a fit and yell a error at you.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It is quite different because the X-fi chipped card is still processing the sound through hardware using OpenAL. The GX equipped cards intercept the cals and try and make teh best approximation of them for the Xonar effect engine which is software. The EAX standards from EAX 3 and up are closed standards. They really have no idea what these effect routines entail aside from the limited released information.

Gaming effects have their place as they help make the game more immersive and fun. I would love to see you try running a 128 voiced game on a software based card in the same fashion as EAX5. It would send your CPU cycles through the roof and the game would crawl to a halt. The chip can handle 128 voices, now try stacking multiple effects on each channel....good luck without hardware. -Even with hardware there will still be a CPU overhead.
    Consider that Creative cards that are software based won't try and support EAX 5 because they can't, it would chew the CPU cycles big time.

EAX is just a effect set. Nothing more. OpenAL is the future of gaming, well that and MS effect routines. There are already new effect routines being developed for OpenAL such as EFX... Other games will have their own effect engines which is also great.
    These cards still have hardware support for OpenAL...which is what I am inerested in.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  4. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    You are kidding me? CoH has support for 128 voices, no EAX or special hardware needed. Sure, a P4 would die under the stress, but even onbard chips these days can handle 64 voices with no noticable stress on the CPU (I tried 64 voices on my old ASUS mobo with a Pentium D, as opposed to 32, and there was no difference in FPS within CoH, and only a 5% increase in CPU time).

As for the approximation of EAX effects, I've sound tested a XtremeGamer (Full EAX), Prelude (Full EAX), Razer Barracuda (EAX 1-2) and D2X (EAX 1-2, EAX 5), and, overall quality of sound aside, the supported EAX effects were exactly the same across the board. There may be a few out there which may be out of place, but the EAX 5.0 implementation used by ASUS passes the approximation test. The most important part of the spec was 128 voices (where most games limit to 32), and thats a really, really easy call to intercept and interpret (considering the card supports 128 voces nativly).

I'll say it again: with hardware where it is now, EAX has no purpose except to extend the near monopoly Creative has on the sound market.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, I think your the one trying to kid people. The Original X-Meridian also supports 128 voices as that is the base chip used for the Xonar cards. Having support for 128 voices and processing these mutiple channels with mutiple effects all changing in real-time is extremely hardware dependant.
    You may have a CPU that can handle it but it is going to be a big hit. The Xonars need about 3 times more CPU usage when compared to a hardware card doing the same task.
    Atleast that is what I got when testing the Forte against the Xonar DX...
    I have pretty much every example of both GX and EAX/OpenAL cards and if I had to choose I will take the Hardware card every time. That being said, I will NOT sacrifice soudnq uality over gaming effects.

I actually think the way it should be approached is a combination of hardware/software.
    To be truthful, the bad part about hardware is you are limited to that hardware.
    Software can be updated adding new effects and routines without the need for a new cards.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic. Lets try and get back to the point...the HTHD 7.1

6. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    Sorry to keep offtopic but, comparing the amount of channels a card can mix in hardware vs the amount of channels a card can mix on hardware with special effects on top of that is like comparing apples to feathers.

The chip the Xonars use, can take 128 channels and mix it together to send them at the same time to the outputs. Back in the days most cards couldn't do this, and this had to be done in software. Ie. if you had a card that could do 1 mix, and the software didnt support doing it for you, you could start up winamp to listen music, but when you go into a game it would say there is no available sound device. That is what that is.

Now when creative say their card can do 128 voices in hardware with effect, it means they can not only mix them up at the same time but also apply reverbs and some of the a3d (occlusions ect) effects to these channels in real time on the chip.

Adding reverbs/echos to sounds doesnt take much, the occlusions and stuff thats in eax3+ do take a lot more. This however is really dependant on the game though and how much stuff they apply to each sound, which really isn't much.

7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Last one before getting on topic:

I'm not arguing a Xonar uses more CPU. From my testing, 5-10% at MOST. That equates to maybe 1-3 FPS in actual gameplay, well within my testing margin for error. Even Onbard sound can handle 64 voices with no issue, and 128 isn't that hard to do on modern cards (my rule of thumb: If my Razer Barracuda supports it, it should be on everything else :D). Unless one has a serverly underpowered PC, the performance hit really isn't worth bringing up.

Back on track, these delays are going the kill this card, as I've said before. It may be a all in one card that can do gaming or HT, but it says Home Theater in the name, and thats the crowd most likey to buy it. And that niche has already been taken up by the HDAV. I for one don't know how much longer you can delay without costing sales in the long run.

8. davinleeds

davinleeds Active Member

GPU:
    6450/5750/i3530/9800gt
    Coming next month it seems. I for one welcome the competition as ASUS has gotten lazy.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am excited to check out what this card can do...

10. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Will wait for Review :) ..

11. willardjuice

willardjuice Active Member

GPU:
    4870 X2
    Pre-orders have started...

12. terranaut

terranaut Member

GPU:
    580gtx
    aug 24 eta

they said to me pre-orders begin shipping august 24th. . .

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes they are coming!

14. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    Hey Rob, did you get a card to review?

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

....they are not that close to being out yet.

16. terranaut

terranaut Member

GPU:
    580gtx
    they shipped it out today, and phoned me with tracking. finally out the door...

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I notice the Auzentech HDMI also has a headphone amp on it, I notice it in the specs. and the picture.

18. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Odd no review before release ..

19. terranaut

terranaut Member

GPU:
    580gtx
    as long as its not like when they release movies without reviews first...i was hoping for a review too before mine shipped so i could cancel if needed.

20. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    no mate post away.. :)