Auzen X-fi Home Theater 7.1 HDMI 1.3!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Thanks, ROBSCIX! I was hoping you might reply, and I figured you might never have seen my post on head-fi.

In PowerDVD 9 there is no setting for effects when "Use HDMI" is checked. When using non-HDMI modes, I have "No Effects" selected.

The wiring is from the top (nearest the bracket screw) connector of the Radeon 4870x2 to the top connector of the HomeTheater (HDMI Input). The other output of the 4870x2 is not connected. The HDMI Output of the HomeTheater is connected to the monitor (Samsung 275T). There are no other connections to the monitor except for power (at least during testing -- normally I have the VGA input of the 275T connected to another computer).

Blu-ray video plays perfectly with this setup both in Windows 7 and in Windows XP, so I believe PowerDVD 9 must be detecting a valid HDCP path.

Is there any other information that might be helpful?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    FYI, unless you need the HDMI connection for a receiver or a TV, you do NOT need to use it! You can just connect the card straight up like any other audio card and you will get non downsampled audio.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I tried connecting the video card directly to the monitor. I still get lovely Blu-ray video, but I still have no non-downsampled audio as far as I can tell. When "Use HDMI" is selected in PowerDVD I still have no audio at all.

Possibly I misunderstood you and what you are saying is that the "Speakers Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD" driver will give non-downsampled Blu-ray audio. I don't think this is true, because in that case PowerDVD would be breaking the Blu-ray license, as I understand it. The Auzentech slides show the "Speakers" audio going through the Windows mixer, and I don't see how the Windows mixer could handle the encrypted stream that would be required for non-downsampled audio.

Could you please clarify?

Also what settings of PowerDVD, the Auzentech/Creative software, and Windows should I be using to get non-downsampled audio? (Either with the HDMI connected from the video card through the HomeTheater to the monitor or with the HDMI connected directly from the video card to the monitor.)

Are there any HomeTheater users reading this who have non-downsampled audio working in this fashion?

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You would think that it would break the BD license and PAP and HDCP..etc but Nope. It is fully possible and verifed with the company.
    I don't just guess at the information I write down, you can be sure I verified and double checked with the company.

I had non downsampled audio working in this fashion...both with an HDMI display and without.
    The card/software decodes the audio. To note, you cannot get thist o work in XP, only Vista and above..

5. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I did not think that you were guessing. I've read hundreds of your posts and several of your reviews. What PowerDVD 9 audio settings should I use and what Auzentech settings to get non-downsampled audio?

For example, with a DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD Blu-ray audio track, should I select "8 Speaker" in the PowerDVD 9 audio setup?

Is there any way I can verify that non-downsampled audio is working or not? I may or may not be able to hear the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit, but I certainly won't claim that I can for testing purposes.

Another strange thing I've noticed that I neglected to mention: the PowerDVD 9 show information option brings up the information display, but there is no information shown at all. This is in Windows 7. As I recall the information display worked under Windows XP -- or at least it displayed some numbers.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IIRC, set it for 8 channels. The software will let you know if it is downsampling or not. If you try the same thing on XP, it will show it is downsampling.
    Th combination of the player and teh card allow you to receive full resolution audio through analog which is a great feature.
    What I meant when I said, I don't guess is if, I suggest something I have researched it myself because I have already tested and used the hardware during review. I ran into this and asked the manufacturer which confirmed my findings. You can use HDMI, you can use analog and HDMI video or you can use analog and DVI video without running the video through the card. I haven't used this card in awhile though..so I am going from memory.
    Also, you are using the proper version of drivers, software etc?

7. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Thanks very much! Where is the indication in the software whether downsampling is happening or not, if you remember? I would be happier if it just came up in big red letters saying "All Blu-ray license conditions are verified, full Blu-ray content is available, you voted in the last election, all government taxes are paid, Windows is genuine, Interpol and RIAA have no outstanding warrants for your arrest."

I am using the latest patches of PowerDVD 9, Windows, and the current 4.5 Auzentech drivers. Current Catalyst drivers also.

Edit: I don't know for sure if latest is the same thing as proper. I have tried different versions of Auzentech drivers.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is a way to pull up a small information Window in the right hand of the video Window. If you are getting downsample, the window will indicate what bit depth and sample rate you are getting on the outputs.

9. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Unfortunately, as I mentioned a few posts above, this feature of PowerDVD 9 is not working: "Another strange thing I've noticed that I neglected to mention: the PowerDVD 9 show information option brings up the information display, but there is no information shown at all. This is in Windows 7. As I recall the information display worked under Windows XP -- or at least it displayed some numbers."

When "Show Information" is selected, the rounded corner box with the four icons is displayed on upper right hand corner of the screen but there is no information there at all for any of the values. This is true for speaker mode as well as for "Use HDMI".

I will try later today to check in Windows XP.

10. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I compared watching movies in Windows XP and Windows 7. I did not have the same version of PowerDVD 9 in XP, so I downloaded and made sure that I was running the same, latest build of PowerDVD 9 (9.0.2528.51) under both operating systems.

Under Windows XP running PowerDVD build 9.0.2528.51, as well as running build 9.0.2320.0, the "Show Information" function really does show information. Watching PotC At World's End with the uncompressed audio track selected showed:

Audio: LPCM 5.1 6912 Kbps
    Output: LPCM 48 KHz/16 bits 6 channels

Under Windows 7 I have been unable to get PowerDVD to show me any information with any movie of the four films that I have tried. ROBSCIX, what version of PowerDVD were you using for your review? I also tried the experiment with the Blu-ray of Kingdom of Heaven, which was one of your test movies for the HomeTheater review. Still no information displayed in PowerDVD.

However both the sound and video under Windows 7 were better than under XP. In Windows 7 Blu-ray discs load quickly and play without any stutter. In Windows XP PowerDVD often stops responding and takes a very long time to load most discs. There is occasional stutter while playing, which is not really enough to spoil the experience, but compared to having no stutter at all in Windows 7 is noticeable.

I don't know why, but I could get more volume under Windows 7 than under Windows XP. Other than the volume difference I can't say for sure that sound quality under Windows 7 is better. To switch operating systems I have to switch hard drives, so I can't do any sort of real time A/B comparison.

I'd love to hear from anyone else using PowerDVD 9 or PowerDVD 10 under Windows 7, with the HomeTheater card or not, whether they have been able to see any system information. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit if that matters. There really are a lot of variables.

Last edited: May 4, 2010

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I was using PDVD9. As you see by the information, you ahve the proper input but you are getting downsampling. You can never get full resolution audio in XP. It has to be Vista and above. If I get some time later I will throw the HTHD 7.1 back in my test system and see if I can help you figure it out.

12. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Thanks I appreciate the assistance, and I hope it helps others as well. Yes, I was never expecting to get full resolution audio in XP.

As another experiment I disabled all audio devices in Windows 7. When I did this the audio tab disappeared from the PowerDVD settings, but the "Show Information" box was the same as before. The purpose of the test was to see if the problem with "Show Information" had anything to do with the Auzentech drivers.

13. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    low volume hiss/static

i've noticed that my card will randomly produce a hiss in either the left or right channel. not both at the same time. the only way to resolve it is either to switch between modes or to change the master sampling rate in audio creation mode. usually i have to switch back and forth many times before the hiss is resolved. during this switching of modes/sample rates the hiss will usually jump from channel to channel. the hiss actually shows up on the monitor in audio creation mode. that tells me it's coming from within the card. i originally had the card right next to my video card. i thought it may have been interfernece so i moved it as far away from the vid card as possible. it still makes the hiss.

14. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    oh and previously i had an issue with powerdvd 9 downsampling hi res pcm tracks. apparently that's how it;s suppose to be. i've tried powerdvd 10 and it does not down sample pcm tracks.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What do you mean,why do you think that power DVD is supposed to downsample?

16. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    you said powerdvd 9 can't do hi res PCM tracks.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Where did I say that? I am not understanding what you are saying...when you say PCM you mean S/Pdif?

To clarify, without the PAP in Vista or WIn7, PDVD 9 will downsample everything from BD. As in the case of S/Pdif output, you cannot get the same quality of audio output of the S/Pdif as you can with the HDMI or analog output.

18. Rootdown

Rootdown Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX670
    no. i mean the uncompressed PCM soundtracks some movies have in place of a DTSHD or DDTrueHD soundtrack. sorry for the confusion.

it seemed that powerdvd 9 would not play the uncompressed PCM soundtracks in hi res. they would always be downsampled to 16/48 over analog. atleast on my system. powerdvd 10 on the other hand plays the uncompressed PCM tracks in full resolution.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I see what you mean now. Very weird that it would downsaple just normal PCM tracks as you said.

20. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I suspect it does work [connecting the video card directly to the monitor]. However I asked Auzentech Support the following question:

In order to get the non-downsampled audio through the analog port does the HDMI cable from the video card to the monitor have to be connected through the Auzentech HomeTheater, or can the video card be connected directly to the monitor without going through the Auzentech HomeTheater and have non-downsampled audio still work? I can't discern a difference but I want to be sure I set up my system properly.

And I received the following response:

The PowerDVD + HomeTheater can support the HD Audio. However if you connect the TV to the graphic card directly, that is not the way to support the HD Audio. PowerDVD will not even be able to turn on the Blue-ray.
    You need to connect the graphic card with the HomeTheater, and get sounds and video through the sound card.

Unfortunately I still can't get PowerDVD 9 to give me any System Information when running under Windows 7. It's frustrating that PowerDVD 9 System Information works for me in Windows XP and not in Windows 7.