Auzen X-fi Forte 7.1 thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 11, 2009.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Hey everyone,

Currently i'm using auzen xplosion cinema, would it be a big upgrade if i switch to forte? I'm looking for better music, and my speaker has analog connection only.

My mobo doesn't have any pcie 1x slots, but it has 3 pcie 16x slots. Can i use the pcie 16x slot for this card?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Remember me Rob? :)

I just decided to build a full-fledged HTPC and I was saddened that I wanted a super slim case so I regret to say my LM4562'd X-Meridian isn't making it over on the transition.

Will I miss it going with this card? I just bought it. Obviously we're going full analog again. What OMAMPs does this card use stock? I see it only has one replaceable OMPAP (what is in there stock?).

Side note Rob here's what I'm doing Click me

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sure do.
    You can't fit your XM in the media PC case?

The Forte uses a 49720-IIRC, another version of a LM4562NA many say.

4. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    not this particular case...I found some other cases that would but they were either shoddy build quality, had below average reviews, or were just really expensive. Lian-Li I chose had phenomenal reviews and I decided I wanted a quiet case (which this one should be).

Plus my current aging machine will be my work machine and I like to listen to headphones a lot when I work so I figure keeping the X-Meridian in there would be better than onboard for the Sennheiser's...then again I'm looking forward to see how the headphone AMP on the X-Forte compares to the hot voltage line outs on the X-Meridian. I'll give you my little comparison to follow. I just got all the hardware today (minus the case which comes Monday...BOO!!!). The Forte looks like a nice card but I'll have to wait until Monday to try it out.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have already tested nad reviewed it. Great little card for the price. I even tested it with a $250 OPA627 and OPA637 SM opamps installed...;)

6. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    You have more will power than I do for sure. I would've had that pc built on top of the motherboard box friday night:nerd:
    Post pictures!

I am thinking about picking up this card for my HTPC also. I'm curious as to how best to hook this up to my 5.1 receiver. Its a pretty old sony but it has both optical and preamp inputs. Would I see any benefit from connecting thought the preamp inputs rather than the optical due to the age of the processing technology in the receiver? I also have an older Dolby Digital "ready" receiver that is a bit more powerful and might be a little better quality that I can bring back into service if its better suited for the job. Any thoughts?

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Try both but chances are the analog will give you better sound quality especially if your using a older units as the DAC in the card will mostlikley surpass the DAC in the unit your connecting to.

8. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Thanks for the reply. Analog it is.
    I'm glad I will be able to put my old receiver to work since I paid the early adoptor price for it back in '97.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you use analog you can also change out the opamp for improved sound or sound more to your preference.

I tested out all the Forte with all the Auzen opamps when I reviewed the card.

10. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Nice review btw. I was looking for opamps the other day just for pricing and general research. Is there a good retailer that you know of that sells the modules that fit into the sockets rather than just the chips alone? I took a look at the opamps on my creative card and I don't think I'm up for soldering something that small. I saw you can buy the opamps and on the Auzen site but I'm just curious if there is a better alternative (wider selection/price). . Thanks for your help.

11. ponde

ponde New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    Which has better components for listening to music and watching movies, the x-fi forte or the x-plosion 7.1 cinema?

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Has anybody tried newer opamps with this card?

13. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    I was just wondering what people are finding as the best settings on this card for music and games?

:)

14. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I'm planning on picking this card up this month but my current surround system is in a sad state (reduced to 2.1 ) so I'm thinking of getting a quality set of headphones instead of a satellite speaker system. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser HD595. Would these be a good match with this card or are there better headphones in the same $200 price range?

15. nam

nam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    you will be hard pressed to find better headphones than Sennheiser Imop ..:) take full advantage of the Headphone Amplifier too ..

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The HD595's are great headphones and are a great match with the Forte 7.1

17. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Thanks for the responses guys. I found the 595s for under $200 so I'll be placing the order soon. Too bad I'll be getting these before the Forte as I'm sure on-board sound won't do them justice.

18. nam

nam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    The LME4972 opamp is this a better sounding opamp over the LM4562NA ?

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are varying opinion on that question. Some say they are the same others say that the LME sounds better. Your ears so your the judge...

20. nam

nam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Ears they are the Deciding factor there :) some may need to change the battery's in the hearing aides :)